Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Yz 250 hard clutch pull  (Read 6526 times)

Offline thepope

• Novice
    • View Profile
Yz 250 hard clutch pull
« on: June 29, 2011, 10:05:25 AM »
Hey there! i have a pretty hard clutch pull on my yz 250.i replaced the stock lever and perch with works connection stuff. also i replaced the clutch cable.the cable runs freely and smooth.You think there is something wrong inside the clutch? i have never open the clutch cover so i dont have a clue really.
i dont have any other problems with my clutch. only that it is pretty hard to pull :(

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
Re: Yz 250 hard clutch pull
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 02:49:46 PM »
I'm confused on what you mean here, does the bike try to pull when you have the clutch in, or is your clutch difficult to pull in?
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 03:33:09 PM »
250's have a reasonably hard pull.Is it harder than other YZ250's you've tried?Mine pulled fairly hard at first but I threw the shorty lever and put on a longer one.I lubed the pivots both on the lever and under the case.I cleaned the cable out with a power luber and brake clean then used the power luber and cable life to lube it.I also moved the lever in towards the center so my two fingers  pulled on the outer end of it rather than the middle so I have more leverage.After that,it's almost as light a pull as my 125-well,maybe not but not too far off anyway.If you try all that and it's still hard you may have a clutch issue but it's not that likely.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »
Ditch the prehistoric cable and put a hydraulic clutch on your bike. ;D

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 05:33:04 PM »
Ditch the prehistoric cable and put a hydraulic clutch on your bike. ;D

Thats what I thought. ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline thepope

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 12:11:44 AM »
The lever is difficult to pull in. its hard. i have not compared it to another yz. but i felt the clutch of an 08 rm 125 and it was smooth as butter. but as you say the 250s might be a bit harder to pull in than a 125.
There is nothing wrong with the cable. it moves smooth when i havnt attached the lever and stuff. And its brand new.
I think i have tried the most things to get my clutch a bit lighter but nothing seems to work.I will however try to move it closer to the center of the bike to get more leverage and see if that helps.

Does anyone have replaced clutch springs before? or you dont think that is the problem.(if there is something wrong in there that is)

i hydraulic clutch would be nice yes :)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 04:24:24 AM »
Ford gave good advice. A properly lubed cable eases pull somewhat. Moving the lever will help. It is also possible someone replaced your clutch springs with heavy ones. I had a YZ125 that the guy woods raced, and he installed heavy springs. That bike had he hardest clutch pull of any 125 I ever felt, or 250 for that matter  ;D.

- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Tom

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 07:18:46 AM »
Maybe a former owner of the bike had some clutch slipping and he solved that with +1 clutch plate and harder springs. Anything can happen...

Offline thepope

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 01:00:50 PM »
you mean 1 extra clutch plate?  whats the downside with softer springs? also ive heard that someone replaced 3 of the springs with softer spring and left 2 with hard springs..

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 02:57:58 PM »
As coop says,get a cable luber,some cable life and properly lube it-it does make a difference.
My RM 125 had a clutch pull that a baby could handle-so did both KTM's and the Berg.The YZ250's are considerably harder(250's always pull harder than 125's).Before I did what I posted to mine,I found I couldn't two finger it consistently as the pull was too stiff.
Worn clutch springs will make it pull easier.A hydro clutch is no guarantee of an easy pull or a good feel,it all depends on the ratio.
You may have to just deal with it somewhat.YZ's are a man's bike.If you need something more girly-look at the Euro's  ;D  ;)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:00:43 PM by ford832 »

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
I found I couldn't two finger it consistently as the pull was too stiff.

What ? ??? ;)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 05:29:19 PM »
Lol,that's all I can say or the wife would get mad at me for telling secrets  ;D

Offline yo_marc

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 05:19:16 AM »
I wanted to ask in that direction too -- did you buy your YZ new, or was it used?  I'm thinking the previous owner may have installed "HD" springs.

I just wanted to make a quick note too -- I have a Magura hydraulic clutch on my RM250 -- it's pull is the same as a cable operated setup.  I bought mine years back -- maybe 7-8 years ago.  I hear they may have changed things up a bit for an easier pull on their aftermarket kits.
'00 RM250
'88 TRX250R

Offline hack-man162

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 08:40:11 PM »
The problem is the Works Connection perch.  Their "pull ratio" is off from stock, and not in a good way.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 02:01:29 PM »
My 2000 KTM with a hydro clutch had a stiff clutch pull... I switched out the master cylinter for a newer one and now its like butter....
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125