Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: New Idea for a Project but need help!  (Read 2572 times)

Offline kawi250

• Junior
    • View Profile
New Idea for a Project but need help!
« on: September 29, 2011, 10:11:55 PM »
Ok so I was looking at some late model cr's 2000 and newer, but i recently came across an ad for a 1986 cr 250 that's all disassembled and just needs to be rebuilt. He says it ran before he took it apart and that all the new parts for the rebuild come with the bike. My problem is I've never rebuilt an engine before and don't really know how to or more importantly where I can find the specs? Does anyone know where I can find the specs to set everything too/how hard it is to rebuild something like this? I have done pretty much everything except engine work on my current bike, and never have done clutch work. What do you guys think? It seems like a good winter project. Or if anyone knows a post where it lays out step by step how to rebuild the engine please let me know!

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
Re: New Idea for a Project but need help!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 10:47:33 PM »
2 stroke builds are easy peasy  ;D
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 11:50:28 PM »
Pretty easy to do if you have a bit of mechanical knowledge.
The main thing with something that someone else has pulled apart, is that everything is there.
Nothing worse then you just about have it together and you find bolts/springs etc are missing.
I prefer a bike all together that needs a rebuild.
But if the guy has everything there, not a problem
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 06:52:58 AM »
Go to the Service Honda website and they have the microfisch for all the bikes with part number, etc. You can print off the bage and pretty much use it for assembly instructions in "idiot" language.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline falston1

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 07:12:58 AM »
The best place to start on anything that you've never rebuilt before is a complete, assembled engine. Almost all you can mess up then if you pay attention to where parts go is putting the new piston ring in the wrong way when you slide the cylinder back over the piston. And if someone is selling a disassembled bike with all new parts that he didn't finish, 9 times out of 10, he found something wrong and doesn't want to deal with it. If he doesn't want to deal with it, often times, you won't want to either. Just something to keep in mind.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:53:38 AM by falston1 »
06 yz 250, 98 rm 125.......UNC Charlotte!

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 07:19:40 AM »
Be very careful with that 86 CR. It will probably need the transmission serviced and here in Canada, last time I checked,tranny parts for that model are no longer available from Honda. Which is a shame because the 86 Honda CR250 was a gem of a motorcycle.

Offline Premixed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 10:05:30 PM »
parts not being available are one of the top reasons people sell unfinished projects.

bing!