Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Another which bike question.  (Read 3314 times)

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
Another which bike question.
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:26:27 PM »
Howdy guys. Okay so I've just recently rode my buddies 06 rm250 and i loved it! And I like motocross, and i don't have a bike myself, so im wanting to get one of my own. I have already discussed which bike i want to get. I want a 250 smoker for sure. But I'm not sure which make i should go with for the year. I'm on a pretty tight budget "about $1500" and I'm lookin to get 250 two stroke within the years of 01-04. I have no personal preference of my own. But I'm leaning torwards the Yamaha as i hear they are pretty dominant in building a well rounded smoker. But I'm also considering KX, CR and RM. Thanks for your info in advance guys!! :D

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Another which bike question.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:09:10 PM »
Can't go wrong with either the RM or YZ.

All good bike's but the above are just my 2c worth.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Turquine

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:21:32 PM »
I'd have to agree with TMKIWI there. YZ or RM. RM probably corners a bit better but the YZ would get my nod for best overall package. Either should make for a great ride, assuming it's in good condition.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 01:30:15 AM »
For that price, I think I have to agree.  I've heard nothing but great things about the RM so that's probably what I would go for, given the preferences you mentioned.  In that year range, Japanese is just about the only option.  A KTM will be instantly sent to wither away in the garage as soon as something, anything breaks on it, and I think just about everything else is going to be out of your price range, or made in China and sold at Wal-Mart.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 03:42:50 AM »
You can't go wrong with a YZ in those years.However,I'm an RM fan as well.It's hard to beat RM handling though clutches and whatnot are weak.If you don't mind a little work,I'd take the RM-if not,the YZ.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 04:05:44 AM »
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline admiral

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 05:49:12 AM »
+1. it will be hard search to find a bike that is not a total beatdown rag at that price ($1500). may i suggest, as difficult as it may sound, waiting another 6 months until you can add another $1000 to the budget. it will pay off in the long run in a bike in much better condition.

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 07:46:49 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I may wait till i get $2000 although i don't really need to. I have seen plenty of bikes 01-02 go for under $2000. Im just trying to save money as im going off to college next year and the bike may end up just sitting. As i said before. My buddy has an 06 RM250 and it looks super clean. But I i think i would prefer the Yami over the Suzuki. If not just for some color change ;D

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 08:01:28 AM »
As for whoever said i can't get a decent bike for that price range i have to disagree. I don't know where you live but Im in florida. and for prices like $2500
you can get a brand new looking 05-06-07. I'm not looking for something that new anyways.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 12:27:36 PM »
Too bad you weren't close to Pittsburgh, there's a 2002 YZ250 for $1300 on c'list. The pics look nice.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Rota Ash

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 02:40:37 PM »
haha get a YZ if you can if your mate has an RM and you want to be a little different, although if a nice RM comes at a good price grab it, imo the rm is a better bike, handles awesome and still has some good power, 01 models lack a bit of bottom end but that can be fixed with a pipe, i was recently in a similar situation as you but have a lot of mates with bike's and could or had ridden them, as far as 01-03 model jap bikes i found (best for me) 1: RM250 2:YZ250 3 CR250 4 well don't really like the feel of the KX but its not a bad bike either, mate had an 01 with pipe and reeds and was still low on power.

i ended up getting an rm cos i love the skinny feel and the handling, feels like a 125, and with a few mods its got more power than you need. you will find that when you start riding and meeting other people there is no such thing as different, people have all diff brands of bikes, so in that situation i would reconmend the RM