Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Super Hunky & Matt Cuddy Strike Again....  (Read 10818 times)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hunky & Matt Cuddy Strike Again....
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 08:41:17 AM »
One of the major magazines had an article about both KTM and TM having DI 2T's for 2012. ;D

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 06:26:39 PM »
I forgot all about this, but a guy on our local SW PA dual sport forum built this last year. A "newer" ATK/Cannondale frame with a 1989 ATK 406 air cooled engine  ;D :

- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 06:46:45 PM »
Yeah, since a four stroke doesn't really have any room for a nice two stroke up-pipe, we went with the down pipe.

I don't see how this is at all correct, unless you are determined that it's either to be a definate 'UP' pipe (like what is shown on the XR chassis with the 2t AC Honda engine), or a down pipe. 2ts for about 20 years have had 'low boy' pipes - mid height pipes. And there is room aplenty for that type of pipe. Perhaps that is what you are calling a 'down pipe'?

From the picture in your article, it looks like you've used the 06 YZF250 chassis (wrong on that, I checked further and it's the older 426 chassis, so more room again).These dont' have any form of drop tank, and perhaps a trim of some barrel fins (and it's easy to add length to other fins), and a different KS lever to clear the end of the convergent cone, is all that you need. I've fitted a short , Gas Gas lever to a CR500 knuckle for my purposes, so it's an easy enough thing to do if you can't find another bikes lever to fit directly on.

The engine doesn't look high, so, if it is a low pipe you're doing, you've either got a long header (perhaps ovalized) under the engine, or you've a pan cake divergent cone, belly section and convergent cone.

Although, you could be playing semantics and doing a snail pipe, with the stinger and muffler under / exiting the engine.

I'm waiting with much interest to see the final thing - without a doubt, a great bike could resuilt - many of the AC 250s (and other sizes) were wonderful engines, that could easily match up to a modern 4t, whilst still being as simple as an axe.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:06:48 PM by bearorso »

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 06:50:38 PM »
I forgot all about this, but a guy on our local SW PA dual sport forum built this last year. A "newer" ATK/Cannondale frame with a 1989 ATK 406 air cooled engine  ;D :

Doesn't that engine look tiny in that chassis, even with the AC fins ;D.

Can you scrape up any other pics of this bike?

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 07:05:02 PM »
Yes I can:

This first one is with the 4T engine in it still.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 07:32:27 PM »
Here's a picture of Super Hunky's finished bike.

If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 07:37:20 PM »
Here's a picture of Super Hunky's finished bike.

more pics!........ MORE PICS!!!
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
Now that Cannondale 406 is cool!

The only thing I'm a bit concerned with is how low the CS centre is against the SA centre, a bit low by about 4/5mm (and I'm in favour of low CS centre heights - most of the blokes doing AFs roll the engine back and have it higher than the std donor bike, inducing a lot of squat and harshness to the bike), but that position  he chose may well have been the std C/Dale position - they did try a lot of different things, and that position might put the longest, 'through 3 centre lines" in the middle of the travel, which might have been what they were going for?

Bloody hell, they had a lot of bracing at the shock tower / side beam junction!!!!!

The 406 engine could be made into a very nice thing, and the shock geometry on the CDale was very good. If well set up , that would be a great bike to ride / have. Though I bet it picked up a bit of weight over the std. chassis.

Thanks for putting the pics up.

TMKIWI:

I went to Off-Road.com, and found only the January posting on the Yamazuki. Where did you get that pic?

A Down pipe it is - oh my............. It would last about 10 seconds on the way into my local single track. Perhaps it's intended for flat track racing?  :-\ 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:00:20 PM by bearorso »

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2011, 08:07:34 PM »
more pics!........ MORE PICS!!!

Only one of the bike finished that I found on their site.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2011, 08:19:34 PM »
What would be nice is a video of the RM hybrid in action and I'm also curious what the machine weighs? In a strange way Super Hunky and crew may be on to something,I like the look of this project. :D

I'm also curious what that ATK/Cannondale weighs and like the idea behind that one as well.

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »
I definitely think they're onto something, despite what people might think because of my loathing of the down pipe. I lived through those damned things and Never want to go back to them.

ACing could be very effective, if , say ceramic  (or some such material) barrel , pistons and head surfaces could be done at reasonable prices. As it is, an older AC motor can be great - I recently swapped over bikes with a mate that had an RM 400 engine in a steel CR frame, and it was a lovely motor to ride - the whole bike was very a good thing.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2011, 12:28:04 AM »
A little secret for you there anit no DI two strokes around the corner.

I like how you keep saying that 2T.
Just over one hundred years ago man couldn't fly.
60 years ago man would never go to the moon.
20 years ago GP teams were talking about DI.
14 years ago the first DI outboards came out. ( they were crap ). Chief among the problems was lack of computer power.
9 years ago they had the problems sorted.
Fast forward to today and you have DI scooter's and DI outboards are very reliable.
Do you think that there are not some very clever people out there that are working on the issues for Dirt/Road bikes.
I know about the issue's with throttle response but that's not something that wont be overcome.
BRP/Rotax & Orbital will get it right. ;D

I just hope that a manufactor has the ball's to release it.

i don't understand why people are hanging out for DI, my carb works just fine.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2011, 04:13:33 AM »
bearoso all I can say is he has been riding it for a year now and as far as I know other than some problems with the kicker he hasn't had any problems. He is cool guy in his early 60's. I don't think he rides it hard, but he rides it often I know.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2011, 07:58:44 AM »
With DI the fuel is introduced into the combustion chamber after the exhaust port is closed,potentially meaning a significant increase in bottom end power,along with better fuel economy. :D

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2011, 01:34:26 PM »
TMKIWI:
I went to Off-Road.com, and found only the January posting on the Yamazuki. Where did you get that pic?

Here it is.

http://articles.superhunky.com/4/259