Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: YZ 250 EFI  (Read 73116 times)

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
YZ 250 EFI
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2013, 07:49:46 PM »
citabjockey we have the same warped sense of humor....   
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Uniflow

• View Profile
YZ 250 EFI
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2013, 09:30:40 PM »
Probably not possible to have a phone app run injectors. Uniflow will correct me if I am wrong but that requires an operating system that specializes in "real time" operations. There needs to be a very direct connection -- with no delay -- between what the CPU wants and the device being controlled as well as in the other direction from the sensors to the CPU. With windows,linux,android etc OS there are many layers that let the computer do many things at once but none of them with real time response. Humans are slow enough that we don't notice it but an injector sure would.

That said I am sure the components on that link computer are pretty darn cheap on their own and fabbing a special purpose board is not that pricy. Its the software NRE that costs the vendor plenty. If enough units are sold then its easy for the price of the whole shebang to come down. But any manufacturer building a bike that gets into mass production is probably going to end up building their own system so development systems like this link are not cost effective either -- and stay that way.

Uniflow -- for your system, how many inputs and outputs are you using? Ambient temp and pressure? O2? throttle position? Rpm (and/or crank position)? Cylinder temp? exhaust temp? Are the only outputs for the injectors? Is there another for the fuel pump? Other outputs? And the link to your laptop -- that is USB? I still think having a WiFi or bluetooth connection with be way cool. Never even bother with a cable connection.

The Link is a versatile little unit. As well as running the injectors we have outputs for many other operations, power valve, pulse oil metering pump, more injectors timed differently if needed, shift light, cooling fan, fuel pump drive lots of stuff. We are only using one injector drive ( although that may change) and the fuel pump drive, also might add the oil pump drive. The fuel pump drive only turns the pump on when the engine is turning over so when you stop, the pump stops. You can also have up to three overlay maps running at the same time for real fine tuning, or injection start point changes. All good useful stuff.
Inputs at the moment are TPS, rpm, crank angle sensor, engine coolant, ambient pressure and chamber pressure drives the fuel regulator. I did also set up a sampling valve to the crankcase, a small valve wired to the injector drive so the computer was only able to "see" the pressure in the crankcase as the injectors fired not all the other pressures. I don't want to put anything in the exhaust that will affect the way it runs, no sensors that will protrude in. We might have the system too simple? but it seems to go alright. I'm freshening up my YZ, new piston kit, new pipe ( same as the EFI bike ) so we can get a good comparison. 

Offline Kodackamera

• Novice
  • The future is bright...
    • View Profile
YZ 250 EFI
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2013, 10:43:02 PM »
I'm reminded in a way of "barrel valves" (rather than rotary valves, not to be confused with disc valves) which at WOT allow a completely unobstructed path for air, though I believe they have only really been used in drag racing for cars and a few other maximum power applications in which WOT is given almost exclusive consideration.

This project is really inspirational, clever work!

"The 500 is another world. The bike come from another world."
-Valentino Rossi

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
YZ 250 EFI
« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2013, 05:55:44 AM »
Probably not possible to have a phone app run injectors. Uniflow will correct me if I am wrong but that requires an operating system that specializes in "real time" operations. There needs to be a very direct connection -- with no delay -- between what the CPU wants and the device being controlled as well as in the other direction from the sensors to the CPU. With windows,linux,android etc OS there are many layers that let the computer do many things at once but none of them with real time response. Humans are slow enough that we don't notice it but an injector sure would.

That said I am sure the components on that link computer are pretty darn cheap on their own and fabbing a special purpose board is not that pricy. Its the software NRE that costs the vendor plenty. If enough units are sold then its easy for the price of the whole shebang to come down. But any manufacturer building a bike that gets into mass production is probably going to end up building their own system so development systems like this link are not cost effective either -- and stay that way.

Uniflow -- for your system, how many inputs and outputs are you using? Ambient temp and pressure? O2? throttle position? Rpm (and/or crank position)? Cylinder temp? exhaust temp? Are the only outputs for the injectors? Is there another for the fuel pump? Other outputs? And the link to your laptop -- that is USB? I still think having a WiFi or bluetooth connection with be way cool. Never even bother with a cable connection.

The Link is a versatile little unit. As well as running the injectors we have outputs for many other operations, power valve, pulse oil metering pump, more injectors timed differently if needed, shift light, cooling fan, fuel pump drive lots of stuff. We are only using one injector drive ( although that may change) and the fuel pump drive, also might add the oil pump drive. The fuel pump drive only turns the pump on when the engine is turning over so when you stop, the pump stops. You can also have up to three overlay maps running at the same time for real fine tuning, or injection start point changes. All good useful stuff.
Inputs at the moment are TPS, rpm, engine coolant, ambient pressure and chamber pressure drives the fuel regulator. I did also set up a sampling valve to the crankcase, a small valve wired to the injector drive so the computer was only able to "see" the pressure in the crankcase as the injectors fired not all the other pressures. I don't want to put anything in the exhaust that will affect the way it runs, no sensors that will protrude in. We might have the system too simple? but it seems to go alright. I'm freshening up my YZ, new piston kit, new pipe ( same as the EFI bike ) so we can get a good comparison.

sounds like your link computer would be able to handle a servo controlled 24/7 reed inlet valve :)
would make it just as quick as a disc valve motor!

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
YZ 250 EFI
« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2013, 07:42:37 AM »
Why not use the IgniJET?

Offline Uniflow

• View Profile
YZ 250 EFI
« Reply #155 on: May 15, 2013, 10:13:52 AM »
Why not indeed? What do they cost? I emailed them and got no reply?

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
YZ 250 EFI
« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2013, 11:12:43 AM »
Not cheap about 1700Euro but Wobbly would get a deal for you no doubt.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
YZ 250 EFI
« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2013, 02:31:45 PM »
OK Uniflow, I'll ask since no one else has...  What's the deal with your riding attire???  :o  Is that going to be part of the EFI marketing plan???  I can see it now...  If you purchase this EFI system, we can add for the low low price of only $29.95, this personalized Uniflow riding gear....  This riding gear can be purchased separately for low price of $159.95, but if you order an EFI system now, it can be included for the low price of only $29.95.   8)

At least you put a helmet on...   8)
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Uniflow

• View Profile
YZ 250 EFI
« Reply #158 on: May 15, 2013, 08:28:37 PM »
Yes, at least I had a helmet on, we take our test riding  :D very seriously. Next time I'll use a clean tee shirt!
We know our marketing  :D

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
YZ 250 EFI
« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2013, 08:13:33 AM »
What, no Fox sponsorship.? ;)
Maybe you should go for the swandri and red band look. ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Uniflow

• View Profile
YZ 250 EFI
« Reply #160 on: May 16, 2013, 08:37:01 AM »
No, that's winter attire. When are you coming up to have a ride on the YZ TM? You might have to swap for a go on your 300.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
YZ 250 EFI
« Reply #161 on: May 16, 2013, 09:33:29 AM »
No, that's winter attire. When are you coming up to have a ride on the YZ TM? You might have to swap for a go on your 300.

Count me in. Name a time and I'll see whats on.
Your more then welcome to thrash the TM. ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline overrevn

• View Profile
YZ 250 EFI
« Reply #162 on: May 18, 2013, 05:19:38 AM »
hey how much does it cost for you to do this and does there seem to be any power increases

Offline Uniflow

• View Profile
YZ 250 EFI
« Reply #163 on: May 19, 2013, 09:12:14 AM »
Overrevn, It's expensive, approx $1500 NZ Dollars for the Link computer alone. I am looking at another supplier at less than half this cost but I'll probably be the first to use this prototype. Should have a unit to test in about two weeks. This new unit has the necessary software to run transfer port injection, apparently, we will see.
No claims on HP until we see a dyno.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
YZ 250 EFI
« Reply #164 on: May 19, 2013, 02:41:27 PM »
Do you expect to see a reduction in fuel consumption and emissions?