Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 1994 KX60 rebuild/refurbish  (Read 15568 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: 1994 KX60 rebuild/refurbish
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2010, 10:14:17 AM »
Great job Coop!!

It's looking really good.

I'm always touched by people's generosity and kindness.. please say a thank you from me to this wonderful person.

Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2010, 10:22:13 AM »
Yes there is definitely a bunch of good guys on kxriders.com.  Prior to my current ride (KTM), I was on the green machine, and received valuable advice from many on that board.  They are a very friendly and knowledgeable group.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2010, 10:28:39 AM »
I was really taken back, I didn't expect the pipe to be in such good condition and I didn't expect the gear. I will be sure to pay it forward if it doesn't fit Nick. Keep the generosity flowing  :D .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 12:42:34 PM »
Thats amazing Coop, that'll make the little KX go very nice. Unbelievable generosity :D
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2010, 12:48:35 PM »
Starting to look like a bike. Luckily I was able to spin the shock reservoir down to miss the pipe but still also be clear of the shock. I need to figure out something for the silencer mount. If I use the mounting points on the frame and silencer, the silencer just goes into the pipe. If I fully fit the silencer into the pipe, it is about 1.5" too short to reach the frame mount. Maybe a short tab with two holes drilled, think that will be stiff enough? That or bolt it to the frame, but use a short section of heater hose and two clamps to seal the pipe/silencer joint. I also need to get a pipe spring, the one from the stock pipe is too long, it hooks on with no tension, LOL. I think I'd like to find a sticker that says "60" to put where my brother stuck that green/black "KX" sticker. The wheels will be on tonight or tomorrow, then it's just get a couple of perches and it's done. The front tire has some cracks in it, but has been holding air since yesterday. So I am using it for now. I am excited to hear it run. I could start it now, but I want to wait until it's rolling.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010, 06:28:02 AM »
thats gonna look sweet Coop,ya nephews gonna be stoked as!!

05 CR 250

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010, 08:33:04 AM »
Thanks. I think it will be finished today. I am heading out in a little while to finish cleaning up the rear wheel. Then I will mount the wheels, install the clutch perch (as long as the UPS guy isn't too late), ad gas and oil and try to start it up!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2010, 10:41:15 AM »
I would say it's 97% finished. I need to remove a link or two from the chain and install it, adjust the brakes, slap on a clutch perch & lever, tighten the kill switch, polish the PC plate on the pipe like ThrottleJunky suggested, add fluids and that's about it. All small stuff. Once it's "officially" done, I'll use the camera and take some nicer pictures.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2010, 04:15:29 PM »
It's done! Started second kick, my nephew Zach is a witness, LOL. Followed the break in warm up and rode it easily around the yard a couple laps. It is very loud! I am going to repack the silencer tomorrow. Clutch cover gasket is also leaking a little and the shifting is sticky, you have to push the shifter down a 1/2" or so and then it will shift up into the next gear. I will have the clutch cover off tomorrow anyway so I will be able to check out the shifter mechanism. Zach insisted on the numbers, I don't like them. But it's not my bike so as long as Nick does it's all good. I have a bunch of stickers here, I am letting Nick decide which ones he wants on it and where. I will be sure to post pictures once he first see's it. Hopefully that's tomorrow.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 04:19:02 PM by Coop »

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2010, 07:07:44 PM »
Great job Coop!

I'm sure that Zach is stoked and you probably have a hard time scraping him off the ceiling, because he's so excited!

What a wonderful uncle...
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 07:31:10 PM »
Thanks John! There's quite a few details I wish I had the money to correct, like new cables so I didn't have to use the old ones. They are functional and in good working condition but definitely show their age on the metal parts. I would have really liked to put new bars on it, a decent graphics kit, stuff like that. It didn't turn out bad though considering my low budget. My wire wheel mounted on the drill press got quite a workout that's for sure, haha.

Zach is the 15 year old that lives here with us. I got him a 1997 CR80 Expert earlier this year. Nick is his 10 year old brother and the one getting this 60. But I think Zach was just as excited as I hope Nick will be when it started up. "Two kicks, go Uncle Mike!" he yelled. And then he high fived me. It was fun. Riding has been such a huge part of my life and has given me so much happiness that I try to get my nephews and nieces involved that show an interest in bikes.

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 09:20:40 PM »
way cool man! i bet that thing will rip once your through with it where are you located i get a pretty good discount through my dealer on motion pro cables i'll see what i can get them for

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 09:59:27 PM »
Very Cool Coop, Those kids will never forget what you are doing for them 8)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2010, 04:22:19 AM »
Thanks guys! I am in SW PA, not far from Pittsburgh.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2010, 02:15:33 PM »
Well done Coop, turned out well mate, you should be proud....................what an uncle! ;D

05 CR 250