Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Yay MXA! Boo Honda  (Read 10824 times)

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Yay MXA! Boo Honda
« on: August 15, 2010, 05:02:41 AM »
The Aug issue of MXA is a good read as per usual.Lots of good 2t stuff including a YZ125 test,tribute to Danny Chandler and Andrew McFarlane and site sponsor Revanche with T shirt of the month(must put that on my list)I won't give it all away because,well,get your fat arses off the barcalounger and waddle down to the newsstand to pick up a copy and support those who support you.
Anyway,from the article"The man behind the CRF450"

MXA- Is there a future for two strokes?

Taichi Honda-"There is no future for two strokes at Honda.Our policy is 100% four stroke.It's a green issue.Honda believes in this in every product it makes,from motorcycles to garden trimmers"

He goes on to say two strokes have many good points and he personally rides a pair of CR250's with his son.Go figure.

Regardless, Boooooooooo Honda!
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Yay MXA! Boo Honda
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 06:49:01 AM »
NOT to steal your thunder Ford but if you go back 5 pages on "General Two Stroke Talk" you will see a post entitled "Hondas Not So Surprising Anti 2 Stroke Stance!" and you will see that I've already pretty much posted the same MXA info from that issue as you did....It's kind of funny though... :D  ;D  :P  :)  :D Damn I can't stop laughing!?! By the way did you water that money tree of yours yet???     :D

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 09:22:06 AM »
This is why I boycott all their crap and have no problems to point out their business practices.. Their are the biggest influence on the sport. Screw Honda. Their engineers should go back  working on this project instead : http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/honda-exp2-14293.html

Big Red has designed and built a race-winning two-stroke prototype that has emissions comparable to a four-stroke. Named the EXP-2, this bike has demonstrated the possibility of a rebirth of the two-stroke engine as an environmentally friendly machine.  Two-strokes have several advantages over their four-stroke counterparts: For a given engine displacement, a two-stroke is lighter, smaller, produces more power, and has fewer moving parts. This makes it less expensive to manufacture -- especially since the motors can be fitted to smaller, lighter chassis -- more reliable, and easier to maintain than a four-stroke.  :o
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 09:27:56 AM by 2smoker »
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 11:37:50 AM »
Totally agree with ya 2smoker, I won't buy anything Honda. Although I like the EXP-2, so maybe I should build a bike like it. I like to steal Honda's two stroke designs and engine parts. ;D

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 03:48:10 AM »
Lol,what can I say maicoman.I sometimes don't get time to sit behind the keyboard for weeks at a time.I blame you for not bumping it up :D ;)
As for the money tree,I decided to leave well enough alone.Besides,I don't know where it's been :o :D

Offline keeptwostrokesalive

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 04:20:37 AM »
2smoker
You put out some great points but the reason honda didnt produce this bike is because like you said its less expensive.  Honda produces four strokes because they make so much money off of them in the long haul.  If they were to produce a two stroke they wouldnt make as much money off of them than the four stroke.  That is why this world is so sad.  I thought companies were supposed to build bikes that everyone can buy knowing it is reliable and not going to blow a valve in mid air.  Honda dont care what the people want, they just want to make some money. :( 

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 04:38:11 AM »
But Honda does care what people want...  :o  that is why they've put soooo much into the kool aid pushing the "green" strokers...  oh and yes the movement was to ensure they lined their pockets with everyone's money for parts and repairs as those "green" machines continue to go boom...   :D
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 04:43:59 AM »
I don't think that explains everything.  I think that if Honda pushed this technology through they could have bikes in every category of motorcycling, from sport bikes through enduros, that would have big advantages over everything else a man could buy, and that would land them massive market share.  Although they wouldn't make as much per bike, they'd sell a lot of them, undercut the competition, and make money that way.  And they could probably even put a fairly hefty price on them and still sell tons, because the public would be willing to pay a bit of a premium for The Best.  I speculate that the other members of the Big Five would've been much more likely to run with the line if they had invented this, and not Honda.  Honda is, as far as I know, the only company that has flatly and openly admitted to being pro-four-stroke on a fundamental level, even quite early on.

The warehouses of empty bikes are proving that four-strokes are not a money-making business strategy in motocross at this time, and without the change to the rules they never would have been at all.  I don't know the story on why street-bikes went 4T but I'm guessing it's emissions.  This Honda engine would solve the problem on the street, and I would guess that it'd have the big, smooth power to seriously lay down the gauntlet in motocross, handicap be damned.

No, I think dollar-signs-in-the-eyes would've caused a company to roll ahead, patent the thing, and start stamping them out to the tune of their competitors' death moans.  But there is an internal set of priorities at work here in this particular situation.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 06:56:43 AM »
Lol,what can I say maicoman.I sometimes don't get time to sit behind the keyboard for weeks at a time.I blame you for not bumping it up :D ;)
As for the money tree,I decided to leave well enough alone.Besides,I don't know where it's been :o :D
Alright Mr.471 post Ford... ;) I'll go ahead & take the blame for not bumping the Honda thing up but you really should at least check TSM at least a half hour each day. :o

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 10:51:53 AM »
WOW, wait a minute. Honda might of not produced the 400cc EXP-2, but the did produce the CRM250 AR in Japan. It made 40hp because of Japan's HP regulations.

Go to this site to read up on it- http://www.crm250.com/

The AR bike made more torque than the Mk3 bike (4.0kg/m vs 3.8 kg/m). And it was just as light.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 02:10:14 PM »
Alright Mr.471 post Ford... ;) I'll go ahead & take the blame for not bumping the Honda thing up but you really should at least check TSM at least a half hour each day. :o

Apology accepted-just so long as we both agree it was all your fault :D
As for my post count,that's irrelevant as the vast majority are just meaningless drivel :o ;D

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 03:11:45 PM »
WOW, wait a minute. Honda might of not produced the 400cc EXP-2, but the did produce the CRM250 AR in Japan. It made 40hp because of Japan's HP regulations.

Go to this site to read up on it- http://www.crm250.com/

The AR bike made more torque than the Mk3 bike (4.0kg/m vs 3.8 kg/m). And it was just as light.
That CRM-250 AR looks like an OK bike but the biggest problem with it is Honda never shipped any over here to America plus they are a tad bit low on the HP numbers!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 04:45:14 PM »
Honda is not the root of all evil.  That does not, however, mean that they're not the root of a whole hell of a lot of it.  What Honda have done here is the equivalent of Einstain discovering the theory of relativity, then burning his notes and saying, "Sorry, I got nothing.  Let's just keep using these flawed old Newtonian mechanics."

If it had been another company that I love such as Maico, Chrysler, or Boeing, that did the same thing, then I would hold them accountable for it just as much as Honda.  That is, I would refuse to buy any of their new products or parts.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 05:18:04 PM »
Damn RideRedMX2 you seem to get very upset when the people on this GREAT site speak their mind about Honda.The one thing I agree with you on is yes Yamaha had a very BIG influence on the sport of MX & SX especially when Doug Henry won that Supercross on that YZM-400 which in my mind was questionable the way the AMA got that bike into racing in the first place?!But I do also believe that Yamahas' so called saving grace was and is the simple fact that they still produce & sell those YZ-125 & YZ-250 2-strokes and they also have the 144cc. kit for their 125.The Yamaha 2-strokes my not be the most updated 2-strokes out there but their still great running,reliable and very easy to work on competitive MX bikes!
 Now with the Honda motorcycles everybody or just about everybody on this site knows and accepts the fact that Honda is anti-2stroke & has been that way for many,many years and one simple fact that really makes dirtbike riders & racers mad is that Honda in the eighties had some awesome to say the least 2-stroke technology and I know the engineer who was responsible for that technology was told to shelve it and also was demoted from his position which was "dirty"on Hondas' part so in my opinion and I'm sure lots of others opinions Honda is a low down dirty company and everybody I know don't buy anything with the Honda name on it and won't ever again buy into what they and myself believe to be JUNK!And as far as your skirt comment I believe the only men that should be wearing skirts are the Honda Corp. You and Jimmy Lewis. It also seems to me that you came back from the dark side & then somebody pissed in your Wheaties or bad mouth your Honda 4-chokes and that must have made you run back to the darkside.You tell me?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 06:40:15 PM »

I dont think their bikes are crappy.
Just their business practices
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:48:37 AM by John Nicholas »
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough