Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Worth the Weight.  (Read 11785 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: Worth the Weight.
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2010, 04:27:40 AM »
Oh yeah, I know they have all sorts of gears (because you bought 'em all!) and the thing's similar enough to an '83 in terms of space inside to work with, I can't see a problem with it.  If these things truly are hand built in limited quantities, it seems like ordering your own transmission ratios would be as simple as ordering your burger without onions.  Just print that on a sticky-note for "der transmissionmeister" and you're good to go!

That's a good idea, because then you could have Maicos suited to fit everything from single-track trails and arenacross tracks, all the way up through Sand Spider desert land.  I can see that being especially useful for the enduro models, because I for one would want my 700 enduro to be able to comfortably cruise the highway like a boss, but then actually use the bike on the dirt, which is something my dad's 360 Husky enduro has never been able to pull off.

What say, Maico?  This couldn't possibly be as difficult as updating a 2010 bike into a 2011 as we've heard earlier (which would mean a new retrofit frame!)

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline admiral

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2010, 06:48:45 AM »

Yes, that was me criticizing Maico,

:-* It's about time ;D

Seriously,I don't blame Mike at all and don't think the question is the least bit out of line.As a matter of fact,I was thinking the same thing-talk is cheap.I can understand all the import issues etc but in the end that all means #ick to the consumer.
All they want is to see it imported,see it tested,try it and see a reasonable distribution network with good support.
It sounds cool to me and I hope it works out but the older you get the more jaded you get.I've been reading about the great Maico comeback for years and well remember all the hype with the Cannondale among other amazing new makes/models.
As for Mike,he's obviously a knowledgeable dude-he has a Zep avatar! (insert rockin' smiley here) :)

+1 .

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2010, 09:35:12 AM »
The current ratios are higher than the Sand Spider, and I ordered the lowest current ratio, the primary ratio is also higher than the 83  (65/33 vs. 66/31), and the lowest gear ratio (I just ordered from Koestler) is 2.28 vs. the sand spider which is 2.36 (and is still high).  The default ratios on the 700's are like 1.96 or 1.86.  So they are quite fast.

The gear ratios being custom made depends on how they get their supplies made, they make limited bikes but they would still order the gears in bulk, so depends on how expensive it would be if they did it for a single person.  Secondly, it also depends on what they are marketing these bikes for, I mean mostly they would have the gear ratios right for anyone doing motocross.  It's just for trail riding I would like different ratios (and this is just me, who knows how others would ride and for those doing enduro their gear ratios are probably right for them already, they don't really offer a "trail" bike per se aside from Enduro.)

My KTM 495 is almost ideal for the gearing.  Essentially I would want a Low first gear, like Trials low, walking speed off idle at the power.  Second gear would be same to slightly lower than normal first but still have some speed.  Third would be 2nd, 4th would be normal 3rd gear, then 5th (or even a 6th) could be an override for example.  

It's hard though to just say I want x ratio because need to ride the bike, understand how it behaves at varoius RPM to see where the ratios should be under the considtions I want (and have to see how the gears flow between each other since want a smooth transition and not large jumps that loose power).  This is why just allowing anyone to have custom gear box is impractical.  I mean even for me I know what I want but I still would need to experiment to get it perfect, hard to must map it out on paper.  I mean my KTM 495 ratios may not work because the power spread is differnt so I can't really use it as a complete model even.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:38:26 AM by opfermanmotors »
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 10:43:10 AM »
Anyway I don't know if that shop or business in Erie PA still exist but for anyone on this site interested the place was or is called    Nagares Enterprises & it's located @ 1616 Sasafras Ln. Erie PA. 16502  Telephone # 814-456-1292 

There was a guy in Erie PA selling in the crate 1998, 2000, 2004 Maico 500/250's end of last summer.  I talked to the guy, he said he was a dealer at one time.  Perhaps he is the same guy.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2010, 03:49:42 PM »
Probably so opferman,as I was interested in a 380 or a 320 @ the time the man was really adament that a 320 is just a 250 with a larger head & the 380 was essentially a 500 with a slightly smaller head.I just know that I probably made the biggest mistake in my life by NOT buying one of his crated 500 Maicos.... :-[

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010, 09:30:54 PM »
How in the hell does the size of the head change displacement?  Isn't that all up to the piston's bore x stroke?

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010, 09:55:30 PM »
How in the hell does the size of the head change displacement?  Isn't that all up to the piston's bore x stroke?

Yes

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010, 08:10:59 AM »
The 380 is based on the 250 cases.I am curious,any idea what the guy in PA wants for a 250? It is easy to convert the 250 into a 320 (a very nice motor).

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2010, 09:09:43 AM »
The 380 is based on the 250 cases.I am curious,any idea what the guy in PA wants for a 250? It is easy to convert the 250 into a 320 (a very nice motor).
All that I can tell ya SachsGS is back in 2003 the price I was given for a 2001 Maico 500 was $7800.00 in the crate. I know, I know, what was I thinking when I bought my buddies RM-250 ??? Well all I can say is it had alot to do with the wife... :-[
  I don't know if the man still has any or if he's still even in business but I put his address & last known phone # on a previous post... :)

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2010, 11:41:21 AM »
Last year he wanted like $4k for unused ones out of crate and like $6k for ones in crate.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2010, 05:18:13 PM »
Are those Maico's MX or Enduro (wide ratio)? ::)

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2010, 08:17:11 PM »
They sound good, but I would like to see some pictures and videos of them and some real tests. I would like it tremendously if the came out with a 144. As cool as these bikes are, there are not any sanctioning bodies that will let these bikes compete.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2010, 10:04:59 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the last time Maico made something smaller than 250cc, it looked like this.

Very cool with the rotary valve and everything, but I'm thinking it would be a bigger project than the others, because you can't make a 125/144 out the basic 250 or 500 mold.  Besides, I think I remember reading an FAQ where they said they were focusing on 250+ size bikes because the kind of people who would be likely to go for a Maico in the first place, at least at this point, are the older, 250+ type of riders.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2010, 10:50:31 PM »
The Maico MC125 was last produced in 1979 and shared it's basic engine architecture with a 125 road racer and a 250 street bike. The transmission was of a somewhat primitive sliding key design similar to Sachs,Zundapp and Hodaka bikes of that era.In the late 70's the Japanese had,in the 125 class,a technology and cost advantage that was virtually insurmountable.

The Maico 125's had a reputation of being fast, fragile with spectacular handling characteristics.

I've got an unrestored 1977 Maico 125 in my collection and virtually nothing is shared with the bigger Maico's - frame,hubs etc. are all special to that model.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2010, 11:36:52 PM »
Yeah, that's about what I'd heard.  We thought about getting one back when I needed to move up from the Yamaha GT80, but realized that they were ridiculously rare, too fragile, and too difficult to find parts for in all likelihood.  Then, out of nowhere we happen to stumble upon the 120 and it's been love ever since.

Do you feel lucky, punk?