Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Worth the Weight.  (Read 12544 times)

Offline Maico International

• Junior
    • View Profile
Worth the Weight.
« on: July 11, 2010, 12:39:46 AM »

When the 2010 model broke cover back in January this year it was a few weeks after the dust had settled before the news hit, that despite its rather old fashioned style frame, the 250 weighed in at one kilo lighter than this years ally adorned Yamaha Y.Z. 250 two stroke.

With some major advances already made in more areas than the manufacturers are prepared to divulge just yet!, the 2011 Maico is all set to shed up to another three kilos bringing the anticipated weight of the 250 to around the one hundred kilo mark with the new 500 following in its shadow at a shade over the magic ton and the mighty 700 expected to roll in at one hundred and three kilos.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
Re: Worth the Weight.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 01:00:01 AM »
This is great news! I love hearing about advancements in two strokes! Great job you're doing Maico :)
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:44:39 AM »
Wicked! Good goin Maico, i hope some people over here a adventurous enough to buy and race one ;D
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 06:56:43 AM »
I really can't wait to see and ride one of these new beasts.How much will the new 380 weigh? :D

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 11:52:27 AM »
This is great news Maico International!!!I have to say you guys have really taken an already GREAT motorcycle and made it so much better than it already was....! GREAT JOB! ;)

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 11:57:42 AM »
Hey offroader I just wanted to tell ya that Maico no longer makes the 380cc bikes..... :)

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 12:29:37 PM »
Hey offroader I just wanted to tell ya that Maico no longer makes the 380cc bikes..... :)

Hi Maicoman009,
                      Now here's a dilema for us...... do I let the cat out of the bag by being honest with people who may ultimatley buy our bikes? or do I skirt round the situation with some candid tongue in cheek answer...... or ignore the question totally like so many other manufacturers would do.?..... well this may be a bad call in P.R. terms but hey, the 380 is coming back! we have it under development/production at the moment and it should feature in the new line up :o      

Offline Dirt Addict

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 01:06:36 PM »
are there any maico dealers in california?  how can i get a ride on one????????

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 01:20:59 PM »

Hi Maicoman009,
                      Now here's a dilema for us...... do I let the cat out of the bag by being honest with people who may ultimatley buy our bikes? or do I skirt round the situation with some candid tongue in cheek answer...... or ignore the question totally like so many other manufacturers would do.?..... well this may be a bad call in P.R. terms but hey, the 380 is coming back! we have it under development/production at the moment and it should feature in the new line up :o      
380! Now that would be a hoot to ride! Are there Aussie dealers?
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 01:25:24 PM »

Hi Maicoman009,
380! Now that would be a hoot to ride! Are there Aussie dealers?

Hi Scotty dog,
                   In discussions with a Company at the moment.

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 02:03:43 PM »

Hi Maicoman009,

This is why i asked as i kinda remember you hinting about it a few months ago.That would be my size most likely! :P

Offline Mike D

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 02:24:15 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way I'm pullin for you guys, but when are you going to actually release one of these things for and actual test? I mean you guys keep leaking photos and talking about how great this thing is, but I for one am more interested to see how it stacks up against the very fine tuned YZ, KTM'S or even any of the 450's for that matter. Even this latest claim about being a little lighter then then YZ, so what, I mean if the frame flexes and wallows all over the track what good is a light weight wonder bike?

They way I look at it is, talk is cheap, lets see how it compares to some proven supercross bikes...

Mike
Bikes in the shed:

92' Kawasaki KX 500
Two 86' Honda Fourtrax 250R's
2006 Honda CRF 450r

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 03:15:42 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way I'm pullin for you guys, but when are you going to actually release one of these things for and actual test? I mean you guys keep leaking photos and talking about how great this thing is, but I for one am more interested to see how it stacks up against the very fine tuned YZ, KTM'S or even any of the 450's for that matter. Even this latest claim about being a little lighter then then YZ, so what, I mean if the frame flexes and wallows all over the track what good is a light weight wonder bike?

They way I look at it is, talk is cheap, lets see how it compares to some proven supercross bikes...

Mike

Mike D first welcome to the site...

My guess is that you are here in the USA. Vince has been in talks with people that "claimed" they wanted to distribute the Maico brand here in the US but either were just tire kickers or wanted everything for free. Not really helpful.

Late last year I introduced Vince to a friend (Rich Winkler) who showed an interest in distributing the bikes.. but wanted to be able to see them in person before agreeing to do so. When on a business trip to the UK Rich had the opportunity to see the bikes and discuss terms with Maico International.

After coming to an agreement, all the wheel were put into motion to import the bikes to the USA. Until you have attempted to import something like a motorcycle brand on a regular basis, you have no idea of the complexities involved. Dealing with the EPA and DOT is a long arduous process.. try it sometime!

Once all the proper paperwork is in place, Rich will be able to import the bikes to the USA. Of course at this late date, it does not really make sense to import a 2010 model, so the first machines to be imported will be new models...

No offence, but people on the Internet "call people out" asking companies when they are going to do something when they think it should happen. I look at the list of your machines, it doesn't look as though you have purchased a new machine in a while... are you really planning or interested in buying a Maico? Or are you just excited like the rest of us to see them here in the states?

I know I'm very excited to see the new machines, can't wait to get the opportunity to ride one and provide a test on the Two Stroke Motocross web site. But I realize that just because I want to see the bikes here in the US that there are steps that must be taken... sometimes these things take way longer than you ever thought they could.

Hmmm... a 380?? I heard a rumor about those from someone a while ago...  :o :o

Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 03:21:38 PM »

Mike

Silly question but wht would you think the frame flexes and wallows all over the place?

Like John said it is not as easy as one would think to import something like a motorcycle.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 03:52:37 PM »
I think you guys are grilling Mike unfairly.  First, he was asking about a test, not when they're going to go on sale.  If they have Maicos running motocross in Europe, you'd think there would be someone willing to write a review of the thing if you asked around.  It would at least be nice to know that attempts had been made, because that would really spread the word fast.  And on the frame flexing thing, note the word IF.  He's saying that, to us who have never seen the bike in person or watched it go around a track, we have no idea what its true potential is, besides what's been said by the company itself (and of course everyone says they're the best.)  For all we know, the Maico could be a turkey, and we'd never know about it.  I don't think that's the case, and I would venture to guess that Mike D doesn't either, but it's very easy to be skeptical of claims that aren't backed up by much.

Yes, that was me criticizing Maico, and yes, my fingers are bleeding. :P

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?