Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Is This the future of dirt bikes?  (Read 13666 times)

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Is This the future of dirt bikes?
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2012, 10:46:57 PM »
It isn't a myth, we just don't have the material(Helium 3) to do it. Also, Cold fusion is safe...
From why I thought I understood h3 wasn't cold fusion, it was just a more stable version of helium which allows the standard hot fission process to be carried out for more than a millionth of a second.
You still need the giant MW lasers to heat it to the point where the weak forces are removed allowing the 3 heliums to merge

Correct me if I'm wrong
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline scottydog

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2012, 11:10:34 PM »
using lazers to over power the strong force would be hot fusion,
my understanding is the use of a high frequency of 1 000 093 hz can alow nutrons to merge in to atoms and then the photons decay, or something along those lines, turning hydrogen and nickel in to helium and copper go google it

It isn't a myth, we just don't have the material(Helium 3) to do it. Also, Cold fusion is safe...
From why I thought I understood h3 wasn't cold fusion, it was just a more stable version of helium which allows the standard hot fission process to be carried out for more than a millionth of a second.
You still need the giant MW lasers to heat it to the point where the weak forces are removed allowing the 3 heliums to merge

Correct me if I'm wrong

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2012, 12:04:34 AM »
Perhaps a typo, but 9/11 was carried out by terrorists so I am not quite sure what your point is.

Regarding cold fusion -- in the late '80s a couple chemists Pons and Fleishman thought they had seen evidence of cold fusion. Some sort of lab explosion. Boy was THAT all over the news back then for about a month. Futures of palladium went through the roof because of the content of their paper. Note that these jokers were NOT nuclear physicists. I remember thinking the days of high cost (dollars and environmental damage) energy were over. That quickly evaporated when NOBODY could reproduce the experiment -- such as it was. The cold fusion assert by these guys, IMHO, is a Myth.

Now I read something on He3, a stable atom that shares with hydrogen the feature that the proton count exceeds the neutron count. Some sort of other theory that it might be used to form a cold fusion reaction. BUT, as stated in another post, the stuff is pretty darn rare and the catalyzing effect that is required to sustain such a reaction apparently can not be sustained. So it appears to be a no-go as well.

Just my $0.02. I would not count on that being a part of our future any more than a 15 kw solar array for your house will cost less than a grand.

Cold fusion is a "myth" is just like saying 9/11 was carried out by "terrorist"
It's comming apparently

Cold fusion is a myth

Well now that cold fusion looks like a reality, I'd imadine something like the ktm with some kind of solid state cold fusion reactor and would most likely last the life of the bike before it would need refueling :o

Making nuclear materials available to the general public doesn't sound like the best of ideas :P

All materials are nuclear, cold fusion can use hydrogen and nickle to make a reaction.
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline scottydog

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2012, 12:58:35 AM »
The scientists that discredited Pons and Fleishmans work had billons of dollars invested in their own hot fusion experiments.

do a search on "LENR" or low energy nuclear reaction, there is an italian company make reactor units right now!

all I can say about 9/11 is dont believe the TV

Perhaps a typo, but 9/11 was carried out by terrorists so I am not quite sure what your point is.

Regarding cold fusion -- in the late '80s a couple chemists Pons and Fleishman thought they had seen evidence of cold fusion. Some sort of lab explosion. Boy was THAT all over the news back then for about a month. Futures of palladium went through the roof because of the content of their paper. Note that these jokers were NOT nuclear physicists. I remember thinking the days of high cost (dollars and environmental damage) energy were over. That quickly evaporated when NOBODY could reproduce the experiment -- such as it was. The cold fusion assert by these guys, IMHO, is a Myth.

Now I read something on He3, a stable atom that shares with hydrogen the feature that the proton count exceeds the neutron count. Some sort of other theory that it might be used to form a cold fusion reaction. BUT, as stated in another post, the stuff is pretty darn rare and the catalyzing effect that is required to sustain such a reaction apparently can not be sustained. So it appears to be a no-go as well.

Just my $0.02. I would not count on that being a part of our future any more than a 15 kw solar array for your house will cost less than a grand.

It's comming apparently

Cold fusion is a myth

Well now that cold fusion looks like a reality, I'd imadine something like the ktm with some kind of solid state cold fusion reactor and would most likely last the life of the bike before it would need refueling :o

Making nuclear materials available to the general public doesn't sound like the best of ideas :P

All materials are nuclear, cold fusion can use hydrogen and nickle to make a reaction.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2012, 01:39:22 AM »
H3 is pretty rare stuff, but you'd only need 0.1 cubic meters of the stuff to power the united states for 12 months.

So they would send a mission to the moon (where H3 is abundant) to collect 10, 100, of a thousand cubic  meters of the stuff.

bring it home and then you can power the world for decades.

PS: ahh it is cold(ish) fusion, there you go, I learnt something today.

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2012, 04:40:05 AM »
Ok, reality is reality -- it doesn't care one wit what we type here. I will wait for the cold fusion reactor to show up on my sharper image catalog. But I will not hold my breath.  ;D

But when a 70+ mile range electric bike that has the performance of my 380 shows up and costs little more that what a current KAYtoom costs now, I will certainly consider it. That said, my 2T bikes (which are all of them currently) sure give me a big grin.

It's comming apparently

Cold fusion is a myth

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2012, 09:43:51 AM »
I have serious doubts any alternate technology to the internal combustion engine will be viable until the big corporations have bled the gasoline market dry

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2012, 06:00:40 PM »
It does seem like the hurdle is batteries -- for many industries, not just bikes. Gas has amazing energy density and an even higher energy per pound so its tough to beat. Hop up a Lithion Ion (or other as yet undiscovered tech) to have 10x the density it has now and make it 1/2 the cost and the barriers go away and Watch Out! Problem is that is a very tall order.

For now I will just go out to the garage and turn my power valve spring adjuster to scary mode and have a ball.  :P

I have serious doubts any alternate technology to the internal combustion engine will be viable until the big corporations have bled the gasoline market dry

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2012, 07:37:58 AM »
It does seem like the hurdle is batteries -- for many industries, not just bikes. Gas has amazing energy density and an even higher energy per pound so its tough to beat. Hop up a Lithion Ion (or other as yet undiscovered tech) to have 10x the density it has now and make it 1/2 the cost and the barriers go away and Watch Out! Problem is that is a very tall order.

For now I will just go out to the garage and turn my power valve spring adjuster to scary mode and have a ball.  :P

This is true. Without considering the environmental impact it has, petrolium is the perfect thing. Hell for all we know the gasoline companies have already developed the ultimate car battery for long term use and are just waiting for Earth to stop bleeding oil before they release it. That way, the get not only every cent they can out of the oil market, but when it dries up they continue to be the main supplier of 'fuel' as it were.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2012, 08:31:39 AM »
Lame, Crude oil is a bio fuel. Its entirely made of dead plankton(both Animal and plant), and is constantly refueling itself. Oil wells that were empty are once again full to bursting.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline 2STROKEREVOLUTION

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2012, 06:51:37 PM »
Electricity will likely replace gasoline. But that won't be for another several hundred years. But for now, it is terrible tech for motorcycles/cars.
You run out of charge in half an hour to an hour. I ride about 5 hours a day for 2 or 3 days. With no way to recharge between rides.
24hp for a 210lb bike is bad. Especially in the Freeride frame. Considering that the 125SX is 200lbs with 35-38hp with MX chassis/suspension. Put a 125 motor in that chassis and it will be around 185lbs.
The Freeride is a beginners bike and it is almost $10k.

Double the price, half the performance and a fifth the range. It is not viable now. But of course the libs are going to tell you it is far superior and put mind bogglingly high taxes on gas (while blaming the oil conmpanies) to make electric price competitive.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2012, 11:09:23 PM »
(IMO) I reckon a 24hp elec will be every bit as fast as a 125er in terms of accelleration.

max torque at zero rpm means amazing traction as the motor doesnt have to spin faster than the wheel to produce good power.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2012, 07:59:20 AM »
(IMO) I reckon a 24hp elec will be every bit as fast as a 125er in terms of accelleration.

max torque at zero rpm means amazing traction as the motor doesnt have to spin faster than the wheel to produce good power.

Thats a good point, it will doll out the exact same power at every point. I'm unfamiliar with how an electric engine works but it won't rev in the traditional sense.

Talking about this makes me prematurely miss the two stroke engine  :'(

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2012, 02:48:56 AM »
Electric engines (at least as far as I know) are just a bunch of magnets put together in a circle inside a bigger circle that reverses pullarity after one of the charges passes over another charged metal plate creating a system of push and pull that is generated into a circular motion, for lack of a better explanation. Sorry, I have no idea what parts in an electric motor are called hahaha, I only know from a quick course I took in school a few years ago.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2012, 12:18:56 AM »
Electric engines (at least as far as I know) are just a bunch of magnets put together in a circle inside a bigger circle that reverses pullarity after one of the charges passes over another charged metal plate creating a system of push and pull that is generated into a circular motion, for lack of a better explanation. Sorry, I have no idea what parts in an electric motor are called hahaha, I only know from a quick course I took in school a few years ago.

Made sense to me. I wonder if we'll ever come up with a quantam engine. We're not too far off in quantum computers. Speed of light internet, oh yeah 8)