Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Does anyone remember..........?  (Read 9726 times)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone remember..........?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 04:24:21 PM »
I think what John was saying is there have been some silly claims made in past post's.
Some people have felt the need to then defend their favorite brand "Maico" when all that was really said was ,to calm down and except NO 20 year old bike has the ability of more modern machinery.
I for one have had comments misconstrued or missunderstood.
I love that somepeople have a real passion for something. The only thing is when you have that great passion sometimes you can be very blinkered in your veiws.
I have a 84' yamaha at take it out for rides occationally. But i prefer to look at it mostly.
It just doesn't have the thrill of my TM.
I love all bikes and love the style of the 80's machines i could not afford when i was growing up.
I know some of us have taken the piss a few times but please take it on the chin.
Some comments have made it hard to not have a laugh.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 04:34:06 PM »
I know some of us have taken the piss a few times but please take it on the chin.

My foreigner sense is tingling.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 04:43:31 PM »
Thats the bike, a Wilcomoto! Does anyone know the story behind these bikes?

On the subject of Cottons I spoke to a freind in England recently and, if my memory is correct, he is racing a Cotton with a "Starmaker" engine in the pre 65 class at vintage meets in Europe.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 04:46:09 PM »
John Nicholas,I feel that I must speak up about your comments about several people on this site maybe talking up the "M" Brand a little to much!Now with all due respect to you John I know your the administrater of this awesome two stroke MX site and I certainetly DO NOT want to get banned from the TSM site,however I have'nt personally read anything on the site that states that the Maico's are some sort of miracle bike or that they can cure any diseases or anything remotely similiar.I have however read as well as blogged a fair amount about the "M" brand myself only because I'm a previous owner of one and also because I'm very interested in the new 2011 M's as I'm sure several others are on the site.I do remember an old television commercial that advertised "Uh Oh,Better get Macco!"which was and I think still is a automobile body & paint shop.It sounds to me,at least in your recent post that you may be getting the two "M" brands mixed up or something because I know that you are also somewhat of a "M"(dirtbike) fan yourself.I presently own & ride a 2008 KTM-300xc and love that bike but there are alot of other brands that I like and have owned both Japanese & European and I persoally prefer the Euro brands as opposed to the Jap brands although I love and will ride any brand and have a blast doing so!I would also like to say that a couple years back I was at work & on my lunch break and my legs were killing me and just aching like they were just beat with a baseball bat!One of my co-workers & friends had his Suzuki 4-wheeler on his truck so I had him unload it & I took it for a quick ride & low & behold my leg pain went away!! Trust me it was'nt the aspirin I took 3 hours prior either it was the adrenelin rush I got from taking a ride on his 400 Quad sport 4-choke!So I do believe dirtbikes can & do help with pain sometimes!  PS Please don't ban me from your site! THANKS,John :)

Um,ok then,glad to get that straightened out. :-\ Fwiw,I like black rum too.
Seriously man,it's just all in good fun.Anybody that rides anything is good with me-but don't tell jetzcorp :-X ;)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 05:00:22 PM »
My sons (and myself) are really into the mountain bike scene and if you have ever read some of the forums on Pinkbike it makes this site seem very refined. The odd time I look at Pinkbike and read about accusations of undeclared gender reassignment and cruelty to animals (specifically gerbils) I run for cover!

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 05:07:38 PM »
I think its good we can all be civil.

As for gerbils, i think they have always been unfairly treated.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 06:39:21 PM »
To hell with the Gerbils, I have a cat!  Always preferred squirrels anyway, being from the Pacific NW.  I do believe there are more squirrels living in Portland than there are birds.  There's a family of 'em in every tree, and there's about one tree per person 'round these parts.  And yes, this does relate to the topic at hand because... their tails are like cotton!  Brown... scraggly... cotton.  Whatever.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Maico International

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 01:21:58 AM »
This is very interesting, I am beginning to think that the "M" is the disease not the cure,if their are any doctors reading please feel free to comment. ;D

A few days ago a regular member on this forum complained that all the threads on the forum always end up as a Maico thread. ???So I start a thread about a British made bike (Cotton E.M.X.) with a genuine interest in the bike as you can clearly see I use to race one, with the only relevance to the "M" being that both brands were being manufactured at the same time.And here we are on the second page and its become an "M" thread along with a poll for your favourite pets ;D ;D with no help from me what-so-ever.I think I may change my name to "Doctor M" as apparently their is no cure! and I am clearly not the cause of the problem, maybe just the symptom :D  
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:31:08 AM by Maico International »

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 07:49:14 AM »
If one were to classify addictions motorcycles would probaly be right up there in difficulty to treat and the "M" bike disorder particularly destructive. So the solution is to go "cold turkey", yep, not mention the bikes that seems to invade every thread. How about 3 days - not a "peep"?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 08:31:55 AM »
John Nicholas,I feel that I must speak up about your comments about several people on this site maybe talking up the "M" Brand a little to much!Now with all due respect to you John I know your the administrater of this awesome two stroke MX site and I certainetly DO NOT want to get banned from the TSM site,however I have'nt personally read anything on the site that states that the Maico's are some sort of miracle bike or that they can cure any diseases or anything remotely similiar.I have however read as well as blogged a fair amount about the "M" brand myself only because I'm a previous owner of one and also because I'm very interested in the new 2011 M's as I'm sure several others are on the site.I do remember an old television commercial that advertised "Uh Oh,Better get Macco!"which was and I think still is a automobile body & paint shop.It sounds to me,at least in your recent post that you may be getting the two "M" brands mixed up or something because I know that you are also somewhat of a "M"(dirtbike) fan yourself.I presently own & ride a 2008 KTM-300xc and love that bike but there are alot of other brands that I like and have owned both Japanese & European and I persoally prefer the Euro brands as opposed to the Jap brands although I love and will ride any brand and have a blast doing so!I would also like to say that a couple years back I was at work & on my lunch break and my legs were killing me and just aching like they were just beat with a baseball bat!One of my co-workers & friends had his Suzuki 4-wheeler on his truck so I had him unload it & I took it for a quick ride & low & behold my leg pain went away!! Trust me it was'nt the aspirin I took 3 hours prior either it was the adrenelin rush I got from taking a ride on his 400 Quad sport 4-choke!So I do believe dirtbikes can & do help with pain sometimes!  PS Please don't ban me from your site! THANKS,John :)

First of all... I will not ban anyone on this site for mentioning Maico.... certainly Maicoman009 done nothing to deserve such a fate. No worries... You can also speak your mind. There will be no banning for asking questions either...

Reading this thread I laughed out loud quite a few times... my earlier post had been an attempt at humor, sometimes it works via the written word and sometimes it doesn't.

Yes I remember the Auto paint commercials here in the states... that was in my mind while writing it...

I agree that ridding dirt bike can be a wonderful cure for many things that ail us in life! Whatever floats your boat and makes you happy... as long as it doesn't injure, maim or kill anyone else is cool with me... if that includes gerbils or squirrels... so be it!

Let's recap....

I love Maico motorcycles....

I love vintage motorcycles....

I love modern motorcycles...

I love motocross..

But......

Not every thread on here needs to turn into a Maico thread, or a vintage thread, or a thread about gerbils!!!

Honestly.... I have a pretty good sense of humor... maybe it doesn't come across well on the board all the time, but in person you would know that I was joking. And I also recognize that a few others on here have a wonderful sense of irony mixed with humor. That makes this forum special...

I'm really enjoying the conversations posted here! Thank you for being respectful of each other.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program....
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 11:33:20 PM »
Thats the bike, a Wilcomoto! Does anyone know the story behind these bikes?

On the subject of Cottons I spoke to a freind in England recently and, if my memory is correct, he is racing a Cotton with a "Starmaker" engine in the pre 65 class at vintage meets in Europe.

Hi Sachs,
            The twinshock scene as it is reffered to over here is thriving, we have been to a couple in the last 18 months to watch and I may well be racing in a couple myself later this year with a 79 400 "M".I will see if I can find out any more about the wilcomoto.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2010, 02:03:23 AM »
Hey, if you go out on your non-Japanese red machine, be sure to get some video.  There seems to be a lack of good racing footage.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2010, 03:14:16 AM »
Hey, if you go out on your non-Japanese red machine, be sure to get some video.  There seems to be a lack of good racing footage.

Hi Jetzcorp we have already got some promo footage on our "red and white non japanese machine" and are half way through putting the video together sadly time is not on our side at the moment but as soon as its done it will be posted.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2010, 05:25:15 PM »
I gave a 79MC chassis (didn't say the "it" word) to a freind a half dozen years ago to build and I think he is still racing the bike. Here's a picture of Rick on a 73 MC440: www.motocentre.biz.

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2010, 06:38:26 PM »
That's a cool site Sachs, real nice "bikes n babes" section
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days