Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 144 Cup Race  (Read 2280 times)

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
144 Cup Race
« on: July 23, 2010, 09:09:08 AM »
We were talking on another thread about how cool it would be to have a 144cc race instead of the stupid CRF150 Cup. I am preparing to write letters or emails to TM, KTM, Husquvarna, maybe Yamaha, MX Sports, Dirt Rider, and Lucas Oils about the possibility of starting a race like this. I think this could be the start of something that could begin to wedge 2 strokes into a legitimate race and hopefully series. Any insights would be helpful.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:16:21 AM by burn1986 »

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: 144 Cup Race
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 09:40:54 AM »
Maybe a petition? I know petitions are kinda lame, but if manufacturers see a bunch of folks want to see this happen it might open their eyes a little bit.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 10:01:11 AM »
It would be great to set something up. In my experience the only way you'll really get anywhere is by getting enough people that will actually both buy the bikes for the class and then actually want to race them!

In this case it's a reverse of "if you build it they will come" ... it's more along the lines if you prove that your serious and will actually do something about it they will build it.

No one wants to invest in a race that no one will actually show up to race in. The reason the "Honda" series has gotten this far is because Honda is sponsoring the event. (Which means they are paying money to ensure they get some publicity)

As an experiment, let's try something...

Anyone willing to pony up some real cash to make it happen?

Now for some rules...

Would you be willing to dig deep into your pocket to get this series off the ground? Not some mythical sponsor in the sky.

How many of you have actually purchased one of these bikes new in the past 3 to 5 years?

The point of my questions is to show that some cry for changes but do little to make the changes happen. It will only happen for you if you make it happen!

Please let me know if I can help.
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 10:20:01 AM »
I think we could definitely show an interest in the bikes. There is a very big crowd of people who have 144cc bikes. IMO the challenges would be finding a track to hold the race, and then get a sponsor to fund it. How cool would it be to have a 144cc race at Glen Helen. They already have the Two Stroke World Championships, so why not throw a 144cc race in with it? I guess I will have to get some more info on the T-Stroke World Champ race and go from there. 

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 10:26:09 AM »
burn1986 - If you are interested I have the e-mail address for the promoter of the Two-Stroke World Championships at Glen Helen. I'd be happy to pass it on to you if you like.

The best method for making this happen is to gather up all the 144 faithful and to get them to agree to race the event in advance, then contact the promoter and say you have x number of racers for the 144 class, would you be interested in running that class?

If you have a decent number of racers that are interested you should have no problem making it happen.

Just my $.02
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »
Definitely would! I think its completely do-able! I'll get to work on this today!

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 11:58:52 AM »
I just cannot wait to hear the feedback from DC.. It is always fun to see how he goes around.. KTM should be a good one too..
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 02:20:50 PM »
I would allow 125's as well. Since the 125's and 144 are the same bikes anyway.
That would get you more bikes on the grid.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough