Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 4 strokes are a business decision  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Chris2T

• Expert
    • View Profile
4 strokes are a business decision
« on: July 23, 2010, 06:49:00 AM »
Observe the two sets of top end photos, one from a 2007 CRF450R and the other a 2007 CR250R. I counted 118 parts for the 4 stroke and 40 for the 2 stroke. It's a stark reminder that there's up to 68 more parts for a 4 stroke top end rebuild that a company can make profit on. And some of those are VERY expensive parts. It's a business decision that is keeping the 4 stroke juggernaut rolling. Perhaps the somewhat more parts-intensive Direct Injected 2 stroke motors will turn things around?

Offline Chris2T

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: 4 strokes are a business decision
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 06:50:21 AM »
sorry for the different image sizes, i took these off of bikebandit.cm

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 06:53:30 AM »
I admire your determination... you actually counted all the parts?? You're hardcore.

Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 07:20:48 AM »
I counted 123 and 62.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 08:55:58 AM »
Sounds like everyone in the building (virtual building) is hardcore!

But, although the four-stroke was surely a business decision, I think it was a bad one given how many wasted resources these businesses have locked away in warehouses.  They would never be able to get away with it without a displacement handicap to create an incentive for people to buy these overcomplicated pigs.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 10:01:52 AM by John Nicholas »

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 10:00:50 AM »
I would not count all the parts (who cares about a washer here or there), I would only count moving parts.  I would then determine what lubercation each of those moving parts has, and the tollerances of all the bearings related (i.e. x rpm in oil or whatever), the reason I even say that is that likely the smaller bearings which might be moving the valves in the 4 stroke could have less life than the larger crank bearings.  The larger crank bearings in the 4 stroke will be sitting in motor oil, etc.

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 10:20:19 AM »
If you throw in the total of the parts within even a simple 2t carb, I think you might even reduce the Number of parts on a DFI'd 2t. I'm of course, fudging a hell of a lot, and just choosing to look at the ECU/ CPU , sensors and injector itself as single unit items........... but, we don't /can't get CDIs, ECUs in component break down  (into parts) form , and injectors / sensors, to my limited knowledge, are also made as / regarded as, non break down  items.

Mind you, there are a hell of a lot of ways of doing a DFI 2t. Lets hope the blokes who design them, believe in the KISS concept.

The thing to keep in mind, is that it's not a good business decision to make bikes that people don't want / can't afford to keep running.

Cripes, even Bill Gates has just invested 26 million in the opposed piston 2t. If he can be behind the cleanliness , simplicity and efficiency of a 2t, there's hope for 2t acceptance amongst the great unwashed.