Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Pulled off the clutch basket, crank has a silicone like glue all around it?  (Read 11657 times)

Offline benji.dojo.3

• View Profile
Pulled the clutch basket off the bike, and the crankcase has all silicone around it doesn't look normal never seen it before.
Prior to this bike was leaking gear box oil and blowing smoke out like I have never seen before.
I suspect theres a crack in the casing, the bike was bought like this.

Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Pulled off the clutch basket, crank has a silicone like glue all around it?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 07:45:39 AM »
ermmm.. appart from the obvious: look for the crack! (follow the oil drips)

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 07:51:49 AM »
Sounds like someone has tried to fix worn crank seals with silicone.
She'll be burning gearbox oil, thats what all the smoke is.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 12:29:34 PM »
Look for cracks or do a leak test. I suspect the leak was coming from where it was silicon sealed, and then replace the crank seals seeing as they are causing the excessive smoke from burning your trans fluid.

Offline benji.dojo.3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 03:18:30 AM »
Thanks for the advice go, I will go buy new crank seals today, and remove the silicone to see whats behind it.
And after refilling up the gearbox oil after about 3 minutes of riding it immediately disappears; then the bike stalled and was leaking the oils. The piston is not seized though as the top-end was rebuilt.

Cant post pictures up because I took them from a iphone and they are too big, If anyone knows how to reduce the image size using a apple laptop, Please tell, Then I could post  some pictures I took of it earlier on.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 03:37:09 AM »
IF you do see any cracks, some JB weld can quickly and easily take care of them, or a better quality fix would be to have someone with pretty good TIG welding skills wash some metal over the crack.

And I have a macbook, to get the pictures down to size, drag it to your desktop, double click it, then hit "tools" and then "adjust size" and then shrink it down to fit. Hope that helps  :)

Offline benji.dojo.3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 04:28:49 AM »
IF you do see any cracks, some JB weld can quickly and easily take care of them, or a better quality fix would be to have someone with pretty good TIG welding skills wash some metal over the crack.

And I have a macbook, to get the pictures down to size, drag it to your desktop, double click it, then hit "tools" and then "adjust size" and then shrink it down to fit. Hope that helps  :)

Just tried doing the right mouse click doesn't come up with tools, only view options. Not sure thanks for the above comment, really helpful.

Offline benji.dojo.3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 04:30:06 AM »
Look for cracks or do a leak test. I suspect the leak was coming from where it was silicon sealed, and then replace the crank seals seeing as they are causing the excessive smoke from burning your trans fluid.

Are you saying check for a crack in the crank case housing and how can I tell if the seal is worn if there is no crack evident.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 04:48:44 AM »
If there is no crack and you were burning transmission fluid, than it has to be the seals. If there is a crack than it could have been both. If you see a crack fix it and put the cases back together, then if it still seems to be burning trans fluid change the seals. Or just do them while you have it apart, they are fairly cheap and easy to do.

Oh and don't right click. Just double click it so it comes up, than in the top bar of the computer you will see the "tools" option and under that is the "adjust size".

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 05:14:54 AM »
Here's some pics of what I mean:
This is how to get there

This is what comes up and how to change it

Oh and once you re-assemble the engine it wouldn't hurt to leak test it to make sure everything is good to go.

Offline benji.dojo.3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 05:35:11 AM »
Ok figured out how to reduce image size.

Now it saying upload is at max capacity for this folder?

Haha, never ending saga this is!

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 05:41:30 AM »
Once you reduce the image size, just save as to your desktop and then go to photobucket.com and upload it. Once it's on photo bucket get the IMG code and copy/paste it right in the box you type in.

Offline benji.dojo.3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 05:55:44 AM »

Finally got a pic uploaded cheers!

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 05:58:48 AM »
Ahhh yes, that clarifies it. I thought you meant there was silicon over the case split gasket  :o Luckily this seems like an easy fix. Someone tried to basically jerry-rig a new seal, pull that old one covered in crap out and put a brand new one in. That way it shouldn't burn any trans fluid.

Offline benji.dojo.3

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 06:01:44 AM »
Ahhh yes, that clarifies it. I thought you meant there was silicon over the case split gasket  :o Luckily this seems like an easy fix. Someone tried to basically jerry-rig a new seal, pull that old one covered in crap out and put a brand new one in. That way it shouldn't burn any trans fluid.

Yeah, haha was kind of hard to explain without the aid of pictures. Thanks for your help much appreciated. Ill give it ago & keep you posted. Ill have to buy a new seal kit on monday as shops are closed. Hopefully thats all it is and there is no crack within the casing. Too get a new casing its $1000AUS dollars, so kind of not worth even fixing the bike seeing as its a early model one. Cheaper to replace!