Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: KTM 495  (Read 11224 times)

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
KTM 495
« on: July 05, 2010, 04:04:04 PM »
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: KTM 495
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 08:19:15 PM »
I almost bought a KTM 495 years ago. The ignition failed in the bike shop parking lot when I went to pick it up.What is the name of the area you are riding in?Those trails look fantastic!

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 08:44:59 PM »
It's Tillamook State Forest, Diamond Mill area.  Ya, it's pretty good riding there. They had an ISDE there last weekend (one day event), will prob enter it next year.

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 05:41:42 AM »
They had an ISDE there last weekend (one day event), will prob enter it next year.

Huhh???
ISDE...International Six Day Enduro. Goes for Six days. Might have to get yourself selected in the U.S. team to ride next year.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 08:42:15 AM »
Tillamook is the area where the Trask 2 day Qualifiers were held? A friend once placed 3rd or 4th in the 175 class. Which club is holding the one day ISDE qualifiers and do they have a vintage categorie? Trask was an event that I always wanted to ride as a kid but I never seemed to make there.My arm is getting stronger so maybe next year.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 09:15:38 AM »
I almost bought a 495 about 6 years ago. I wish now I did. Even though parts are getting hard to find I like the old KTM's.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 10:29:32 AM »
All bikes are welcome

http://www.mtscottmc.com/flyers/ISDE_2010.pdf

It's held every year, there are actually several around that are 1 day events.  Yes, stands for Six Day Enduro, I have no idea on anything that's going on, but they have this 1 day event every year and call it ISDE.  There are several 1 day events called ISDE that are held in the state yearly. 

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
My only thought on the ISDE is that it's a known acryon which is why they might use it instead of just saying Enduro event.  But never attended and I know they have even age groups and what not and seems like just about anyone can pay their 50 bucks and enter the race.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 05:02:04 PM »
The only ISDE two day qualifier that I know of in the Pacific Northwest is the Boise two day that the Ridge Riders put on. I was planning to enter the event when I got hurt.

U.S. style Enduros and one and two day ISDE qualifiers are quite different in how the events are structured.The ISDE events are a lot of fun and I can remember some events I rode as a kid were in excess of 200 miles per day.I never made it to the Six Days but a lot of friends did.Maybe I'll make it to Mexico this fall as a spectator.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 05:21:14 PM »
Ya, this one is only 85 miles

Offline msmola2002

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 07:07:11 PM »
Much love for the Austrian combine harvester.

Offline Turquine

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 11:01:49 PM »
I enjoyed the video. The KTM 495 and KX 500 are both among my favorite dirtbikes. I kept thinking, however, that that bike is a thoroughbred, it wants to go, your torturing it making it put around like a trials bike. Sure, it can do it, but seems to me, both machines are much better suited for my area, the West Texas/New Mexico deserts where they can really rip. Some of that stuff you were doing made me think you ought to add this vintage, European bike to your arsenal -->

I think this old Bultaco Alpina would go over those tight forest trails like a hot knife through butter.  Here's a vid. Hope vid and pic come out, not good at posting. -->
Bultaco in ze woods

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 11:10:31 PM »
That Bultaco is like the one I rode before. Shift with  right foot, brake with left
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 12:31:57 AM »
Hey, my dad's got a Montesa project bike if you're interested in something of the trials-bike flavor.  I think it's a 350 but I don't really know much about it, other than that it's from sometime in the '70s.  He hasn't said it's for sale but that's probably the bike that would be easiest to wrench out of his hands.  Just a thought.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 09:25:19 AM »
You are right about the Maico in very tight woods, the 82 does better its geared a little bit lower.  I still need to gear this one lower to work better in the woods.

The KTM 495 however is the trail version, first and second gear are lower than a normal 1st gear.  First gear is so low its walking speed, so it's near trials bike.

I was considering getting a trials bike, however I have also heard that they are pretty fragil, if you ride them hard you can shred the gearbox like popcorn.