Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: The rebuild  (Read 2351 times)

Offline racer142

• View Profile
The rebuild
« on: June 09, 2012, 01:29:30 AM »
Well recently I have become the example of Murphy's law. Anything that can go wrong will and at the worst possible time. Well I broke my wrist on 3-10-12. Dusky crash or anything just overjumped a double all the way to the flats and hyperextended my left wrist. Doc x-rayed it and told me I picked the worst bone to break. Go figure. 8 weeks later my wrist feels better(still not right but ok to ride) so I head out to my local track thats racing. So 4-28-12 I load up and head out. Great day to ride I fire up the 250 and pull out on the track. Made it a lap and a half and the piston scattered.

She's a beauty ain't she? Well decided a full rebuild was in order. Well I took it to the shop in pieces for them to tear the bottom end apart when I noticed something funny in the cylinder. Where I had originally thought the cylinder survived there was a little chip in the playing smaller than the size of a dime in diameter directly beside the intake port. Great news now the cylinder makes it's way to the shop to be stripped and sent to be rechromed. No big deal. It was in the mail to be redone on 5-7-12. Finally got the call this past tuesday that the cylinder was at the shop being put back together but, they somehow lost a piece and it would be in on Friday. Well it did and I picked it up yesterday and put it back together today and am firing to ride it tomorrow(I rode it gently today to start breaking the motor in). So I'm finally ready to ride tomorrow and my truck might have a blown head gasket. Well I'm still planning on the track tomorrow and I'll deal with the head gasket later(perks of having a spare vehicle) but only if the weather cooperates. But anyways everybody likes pictures so here are a few of the tear down to rebuild
What I found in the cylinder

Bottom end ready for the shop

Bare bike

Cylinder upgraded with vforce3
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline racer142

• View Profile
The rebuild
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 01:34:31 AM »
All the goodies

Going back together

Almost there

The finished product

Offline racer142

• View Profile
The rebuild
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 01:38:12 AM »
Only Question I have for u guys is this

This vent hose for the power valve just has a hose right? No one way valve and doesn't connect to anything right? I have nothing to connect it to that I can find and somehow misplaced the hose that went to it. Not a big deal just wanna make sure it's just a hose I need to run outta the bottom of the bike.

Offline xandyx

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
The rebuild
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 01:40:40 AM »
only takes a bit of hose to drain excess oil from exhaust valve.

Offline racer142

• View Profile
The rebuild
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 03:38:15 AM »
one more question. looped out today and whoever owned the bike before me had some pretty crappy welds for the silencer mounts. well needless to say they broke and the pipe got a nice twist in it(was already dented when i got it) so im looking at possible picking up another silencer. the head pipe is a pro circuit platinum (not sure of much beyond that) and the silencer is a r304 stainless shorty but it has 2 mount points. well looking online and almost all of the r304 stainless shorty i see for my bike only have one and look a lot shorter. my question is is there a difference or is it just a different style or different power delivery? probably a dumb question but curious before i dish out money for something i dont want. and while were on the topic whats the difference between a shorty and a full length pipe?
anyways this is the pipe i currently have

and here is what i have found
http://www.amazon.com/KAWASAKI-SHORTY-EXHAUST-SILENCER-03-04/dp/B001PG1HH8
btw my bike is an 04

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
The rebuild
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 07:10:46 AM »
I think you will find that PC use the same photo for all their adverts.
So just because the picture shows 1 mount they will be different for each bike.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
The rebuild
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 11:02:14 AM »
It doesnt look like a shorty by the photo of your bike side on, i have a 99 KX 250 in the shed and it has a normal FMF system and it sticks out a little like yours does. you usually cant see a shorty from the side like that, you cant on my Honda, but i may be wrong  ;)
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline racer142

• View Profile
The rebuild
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 02:08:55 PM »
I would agree it looks ling but it clearly says stainless shorty under 304. So thats why I was curious.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
    • View Profile
The rebuild
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 11:06:06 PM »
yeah pretty clearly says shorty, maybe you should try find out how long a shorty really is, maybe some one put the sticker on it? probably unlikely but maybe  :D

05 CR 250

Offline racer142

• View Profile
The rebuild
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 03:39:28 PM »
Would y'all trust this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380320390036?redirect=mobile
Motosport and pro circuit are out of stock. I know there are other retailers but this is easiest to check and motosport is literally 30 min from my house so orders are next day for me normally. That said how's what's got new once when pc is out of stock?

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
The rebuild
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 12:55:19 AM »
Nice bike, I love KX's  :D .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
    • View Profile
The rebuild
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 02:01:53 AM »
Would y'all trust this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380320390036?redirect=mobile
Motosport and pro circuit are out of stock. I know there are other retailers but this is easiest to check and motosport is literally 30 min from my house so orders are next day for me normally. That said how's what's got new once when pc is out of stock?
Looks good to me, theyve sold quite a bit of stuff, i've bought a bit off ebay and havent had any drama

05 CR 250