Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: MORE FUN vs. EASIER TO RIDE  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Chris2T

• Expert
    • View Profile
MORE FUN vs. EASIER TO RIDE
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:12:03 AM »
The displacement handicap still makes it apples to oranges, but working with what we're given (250F vs 125T, 450F vs 250T) riding the two types of bikes have come down to this - easier (4T) vs funner (2T). Forget about cost, and maintenance, and hard starting etc., for this thread lets just concentrate on around-the-track impressions. Is fun what motocross is truly all about? Or is it all about finding the easiest way around the track??

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: MORE FUN vs. EASIER TO RIDE
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:18:49 AM »
Not having a go at you, Chris2T, but this is one of my pet hates when it comes to the whole 4t vs 2t debate.

The reason why a 2t may be  harder to ride is mainly due to the capacity disparity - to compete with bikes with such big capacity advantages, a 2t has to be at a pretty high state of tune.

A good example of the ease of use of a 2t is a trials bike - there's nothing hyper about the motors and the same can be said for a KTM250 2t, depending on its set up, - just playing with PV springs and their preload and flywheel weight makes an enormous difference to them . Think of how much more mellow it could be if it were made to only match the HP and torque of a std 250F.

Just give thought on this - imagine how utterly hyper and damned near unrideable a 125/150 4t would be if it were made / tuned to match the HP and torque of a 125/150 2t. It would need to have at least an 8spd gearbox, and/or be a multi cylinder engine that would need to rev to somewhere near 19/20 grand.

I get just as p****d off at some of the 2t guys who go on about how much better a rider has to be / how much of or a 'man' you are if you ride a 2t, as I do at the drongos who go on endlessly about how much 'better' or easier to ride a 4t is (whilst Never admitting/facing up to the handicapping advantage they have). Dropping that approach is something that should be added to Johns idea of being more reasoned and politer than / with the 4t blokes.

I ride a 500 2t - it is easy to ride, a great big pussy cat, that uses 1/2 the revs of the 450-650 4ts that I regularly ride with. Those same blokes are always stunned how tractable and 'calm' the bike is whilst getting through our tight single track rides, whilst they are alternately stalling in nasty stuff, or revving the bejesus out of them.Believe me, if my 2t was hard to ride, I wouldn't be riding it - I ride it because it's fun, easy to ride and as simple and reliable as an Axe.

Offline 6IX

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Exarte Pro
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 11:05:06 AM »
Some people will argue that the 4stroke can be more fun to ride in certain situations.

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:51:22 AM »
Of course, as will a 2t enthusiast, and quite often , when refering to the same situation.

Different strokes for different folks.

Me, I like riding ANY sort of bike.

Riding a motorcycle Is Fun, that's why we ride them.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 04:20:26 PM »
I know what you mean Bearorso.
We did a ride last weekend where it pissed down with rain all night and woke up to a shitty as hell wet bog.
The first hill was a 300ft up hill track of mud.
I past 6 guys on 4 strokes going up and they were just wheel spinning and falling off.
Admitedly some were not great riders, but i just tractored up in 2-3rd gear.
There was one guy near the top i stopped to see if he needed help.
He was on a brand new 450SX and had just blown the head gasket. No i didnt laugh , I wouldnt wish that on anyone.
I had to do a different loop afterwards because there was a 1 hour hold up at the bottom with bikes littered up the hill.

Yes my bike is easier to ride and more fun as well when the going gets tough.
Every 450 rider i speak to says how hard they are to ride in the tight muddy stuff.
But they also say they don't want to loose any of the power.
More and more are changing to smokers.
I had a great chat to my mate last night over quite a few JD's and he kept thanking me for talking him into selling his 400F and buying a KX250.
He cant believe how much easier and FUN it is. :D

Thats what we need to do. Let your 4/S mates ride your bike to see what its like.
Dont just tell them its better, let them find out for themselves. :)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 07:38:05 PM »
To me four strokes always feel heavier and I just don't like heavy bikes. I  love the lightness of a 125. I was at the bike shop recently and always look at the KTM's lined up - the 450SX engine is huge compared to the 250SX (2s).

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 05:01:06 PM »
Fun always trumps easy to ride unless you make your living  at it.I expect my best lap times would be on a 250 4t-and given how I always rode 125's I figured I'd love one of those,until I tried the YZF and CRF.Effective,but dull.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.