Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Project Two 50 ..tip? Mike Alessi  (Read 3942 times)

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
Project Two 50 ..tip? Mike Alessi
« on: June 22, 2010, 11:56:49 AM »
I was thinking about this, while watching how impressive Mike Alessi is on is KTM 350 against the 450's.  If Mike Alessi were riding for Project Two 50 (not taking anything from the Mike that is already riding for Two 50), could he have the same results that he is getting now?  He managed to get 2nd place in the first moto, on a bike (KTM 350 4 stroke) that is probably about on par with a tweaked out 250.  He's on a less powerful machine than the competition, and manages to get holeshot, or in the top 3 out of the gate nearly every time.  I know, the 350 may have even better traction than the 450, true, but Mike A. tends to get the holeshot, or top 5, and then manages to block others from passing him better than most, but his lap times aren't slow. 

Does Project Two 50's Mike have a riding style like Mike Alessi?  I think if he can ride like Mike A., he can compete at Red Bud.  Just don't ride like Mike Alessi did at Red Bud in 2008, lol.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: Project Two 50 ..tip? Mike Alessi
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 01:31:28 PM »
While you're idea is a good one.. there is one slight problem... a rider of Mike Alessi's caliber is very expensive, you happen to have a few million dollars to just pay for of racer? That figure would not include, bikes, rigs, travel expenses or entourages...

This type of thing has been mentioned before, but it's just not going to happen unless we make it happen. Or someone like us makes it happen.

It is extremely costly to field a race effort of the size we are attempting.. I can assure you that our budget for our entire effort is less than a day of testing for the major factories.

How many of the top racers would be willing to pay expenses and entry fees for our entry? I can assure it there are none.

This is the main reason that we have asked for donations. If you want to see a rider of a Mike Alessi caliber compete on Project Two 50, you better make that a really HUGE donation!! LOL

As for Mike Leavitt, his riding style reminds me of Jeremy McGrath... he has also had the opportunity to train with Ricky Carmichael and race against James Stewart. We are very excited to be working with Mike... once you meet him you'll understand...

For those that would like to see Project Two 50 compete at your local National, could you help by getting a bunch of friends together and make a donation to cover entry fees and gas money? Then we'd be able to race additional rounds.

Thanks!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 01:41:02 PM »
Well, I wasn't suggesting you get a different or ultra high caliber rider, I was just wondering if the way Mike Alessi approaches his races could traslate down to 250 two strokes.  I mean, he tears it up on a 350 4t, gets the holeshot, and still turns out equal and better lap times than most on the 450's.  If anything, it's even more inspiration and evidence that a 250 can get it done against the 450's, since a 350 is closer yet to the 250's torque/power curve.  Everyone knows you have to ride a 2 stroke differently, but even those that can tear it up on a 250 2t, can't race the same way with a field of 4t's out there because you're forced to ride differently.

I was wondering if maybe you have been watching to see what Alessi does differently to get the holeshot and wins out of his 350 and maybe find if there is anything he does that could translate down to the 250 2t.  Just an idea :)

GOOD LUCK at RED BUD!

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 02:38:57 PM »
Now I understand what you are saying... yes we were very inspired by Mike Alessi's finishes on the KTM 350 four-stroke. Yes the thought is not lost on us....

We feel that we will actually be at an advantage in many areas... working on starts, training on a scheduled regimen, we are doing our very best...
Life is short.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 07:34:50 PM »
Man, it'd be nice if someone like Steve Jobs was a two-stroke fan, or maybe Ringo Starr.  A guy like that could just casually slip you a cool ten million for the team.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline 2stroker

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 01:00:17 AM »
i reckon  more training for mike leavitt and more national races, dont give up and project two50 will have a very very very good rider   mike has potential    
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 02:41:18 AM by 2stroker »

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 11:04:34 AM »
Mike Leavitt has what it takes, if he can manage a few top ten finishes thats all we need to grab the attention.More privateers will follow suit and make the switch back to the smokers. My dream is the day will come when everyone lines up it will only be the factories on the 4ts everyone else on 2strokes.
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 11:40:12 AM »
Mike Leavitt has what it takes, if he can manage a few top ten finishes thats all we need to grab the attention.More privateers will follow suit and make the switch back to the smokers. My dream is the day will come when everyone lines up it will only be the factories on the 4ts everyone else on 2strokes.

I really like your dream!!

Just to let you know, Mike Leavitt is a hard worker and a great racer. He has made us proud already. How many local Pro/Experts have switched over to two-strokes when there was still a displacement advantage for the four-stroke? Mike did it last year and earned the number 1 plate in two classes on it.

He missed the number 1 plate in the other class by 3 points... but he has some mechanical issues with that machine, a YZF250!!

Mike trains using the latest technology for exercise and practices as much as he can.

I know that many folks think that races are won on the jumps, but anyone that really knows racing will tell you where races are won and lost. Here is where Mike's talent truly shines, his corner speed is incredible. I suppose working with Jeannie Carmichael and RC may have contributed to that. But that RC guy wasn't very good at cornering!! NOT!!

Mike's best asset is that he is a great person, he treats everyone with respect and knows how to say thank you. This can be a rare quality in a fast racer....

As far as I'm concerned, we hit the jackpot with Mike Leavitt.

Come on out and watch for yourself....
Life is short.

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 01:59:12 PM »
A 250 2 stroke cannot compete against the 450Fs in Pro lever competition.

-If you compared cc of the 125 to 250F, that is about 125cc difference.
-If you compared cc of the 250 to 450F is 200cc. It should be 125 cc, making the 2 stroke a 325 compared to a 450F. Now that would be competitive.
-If you subtracted 200cc from the 250Fs then you would be racing a 50 cc 2 stroke against a 250F.

But as we know, the AMA could care less. All they want is to make the Big 4 happy.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 02:08:41 PM »

Are you sure???

Have you done it? Should we stay home and watch baseball instead?

We feel that a 250 two-stroke can be quite competitive with the 450F's even in Pro Level Racing.

But hey, that's just us and we've been called crazy or worse before...
Life is short.

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 07:20:40 AM »
No I haven't done it. I hope you do well. I just feel that you need more ccs.

Offline Chris2T

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 07:50:33 AM »
I wrote to Motorcycledaily.com a few months ago when they did a feature comparing the new KTM 350F with 450F's. I said that with Cairoli as the rider the ability to compare the 350F to the 450F were null and void, that no usable data whatsoever could be derived since he was the #1 rider in europe and could probably smoke the 450 field on a 125 2 stroke. If you put a rider like Cairoli or Alessi on a 250 2 stroke i guaran-damn-tee they would be winning races. It all comes down to the manufacturers paying the best riders to win with the bike they want to sell. 

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 11:27:08 AM »
I wrote to Motorcycledaily.com a few months ago when they did a feature comparing the new KTM 350F with 450F's. I said that with Cairoli as the rider the ability to compare the 350F to the 450F were null and void, that no usable data whatsoever could be derived since he was the #1 rider in europe and could probably smoke the 450 field on a 125 2 stroke. If you put a rider like Cairoli or Alessi on a 250 2 stroke i guaran-damn-tee they would be winning races. It all comes down to the manufacturers paying the best riders to win with the bike they want to sell. 
While yes, KTM has very good riders on the 350f, I believe, that the 350f is honestly a faster bike than the 450's for the general population. Take the 500 2 strokes for instance, they have a lot of fun factor within that motor, but, are they any faster than a 250 2 stroke? Well.. in most cases, they aren't, the 500 2 stroke has added weight(not much, I know), different engine physics, and the bike is very hard to keep pinned in the corners, where as the 250 two stroke is much easier to achieve break neck speeds in the corners. I have to say, that the 350f is like the 250 two stroke, when the 250 two stroke took over the more dominant class position. 350F's are easier to ride fast, and are more flick able(Dare I say it?), like a 250 four stroke. i have been thinking lot's lately, about what has killed the 250 two stroke, and, what I have come up with, is not a displacement disadvantage(although, this does not help the situation). I have found, that, even 250 four strokes can beat 250 two strokes straight up, what it has to do with, is that amazing ability to hook up, that traction. That is what is killing the 2 stroke. Think about it, the power(in terms of horse-power) of a 250 two stroke is not that far off, and if the 250 two stroke had the same ability to hook up as the four stroke, it would smoke that four stroke all day long, I mean, it's lighter weight, it revs faster, and you can fix things that go wrong between races(try a top end on a four stroke between qualifying and main on a four stroke). So, what can be done, well, I say we need more displacement to work with, and actually, not that much more, I don't think we need a big bore, what we need is just enough to have some power to spare, so that we can load the two stroke up with flywheel weights, different gearing, anything that will make it hook up better, it can be done, but we have to realize, that the reason why the four stroke wins right now, is the traction, there is a solution, we just have to find it.
I'd rather be riding...

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 08:01:42 AM »

So do you think a 250 two stroke can compete with a 350 four stroke?  See the point?