Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Shift Shaft Seal Disintegrated HELP!  (Read 2043 times)

Offline JRod4928

• View Profile
Shift Shaft Seal Disintegrated HELP!
« on: January 14, 2013, 12:50:47 PM »
I'm trying to replace the shift shaft seal on my 07 YZ 125 engine. I've read so many times that its easy to do and the seal just 'pops' out.... Well it isn't happening that easily for me...

The seal (11 in the photo below) is disintegrated and I have 2 ways of getting it out:

1) Dig at it and take it out piece by piece with a set of hooks/picks... The problem is, I dont think I'll be able to get ALL of the seal out by just picking at it. I'm afraid to aggressively dig and pull at it for fear of damaging something else... although from the looks of the photo below, The first 2 things I encounter after removing the shifter are two oil seals (numbers 7 and 11 are oil seals), both of which I have right now. After removing the surface of the seal, there's a metal ring, I don't know if this is a part of the case, or if it's a part of the seal, I'm tempted to pull at it to try to get it to pop out (if it's a part of the seal), but if it's not...I could damage the case. Does anyone have any input?

2) The other option is to take the side case off, the clutch off, and pull the shift shaft out through the engine so I have more room to dig at the seal. Which is a lot of work, and I dont know if I have all of the tools.

Does anyone have any input or a similar experience? Any help would be great!

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 01:22:50 PM »
Screw small self tap screw in each side of seal , lever out gently with pliers.

Offline JRod4928

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 01:29:02 PM »
Screw small self tap screw in each side of seal , lever out gently with pliers.

There isn't enough of the seal remaining for me to tap a screw into. Are you suggesting I tap a screw into that metal part that I was talking about? I'm wondering if that metal ring I mentinoed is a part of the case between seals 7 and 11?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 03:11:13 PM »
Pull your left side cover and clutch off and then remove your shift shaft. It's not that difficult.

Offline JRod4928

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 03:57:13 PM »
Can I remove the clutch basket without an impact wrench, or the clutch holding tool? I do have a torque wrench.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 03:57:39 AM »
clutch cover not clutch basket make.

drain the oil
remove the clutch cover
pull out the shift shaft (the basket isnt usually in the way)
remove the seal with a flat head screwdriver or blade etc
reinstall new seals with grease
install shift rod
apply new clutch gasket and grease it lightly if you want it to be reusable for next time you take the clutch cover off
fasten the clutch over
new oil

DONE

Offline JRod4928

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:29:38 AM »
The basket was in the way I believe, I got it out with an impact wrench.

I need to use liquid gasket for the new seal as the old seal is impossible to remove completely. there are tiny little pieces that won't come out. I'm thinking the last owner knew about the problem and just shoved some liquid gasket in there to stop the leak long enough to trick the dealer into thinking it was fine. So now I'm left trying to clean their mess.