Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: SuperHunky .com Interview - Project Two 50  (Read 15978 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
SuperHunky .com Interview - Project Two 50
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:12:40 AM »
Hi Guys,

It was great fun speaking with Matt Cuddy. He is a regular down to earth motorcycle guy, just like the rest of us!

Enjoy!

http://articles.superhunkyforum.com/4/132

Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: SuperHunky .com Interview - Project Two 50
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:09:45 PM »
Oh, so THAT'S what John looks like.

Anyway, I have to say that 55+ horsepower out of a 250 is properly impressive.  That's an incredible number for anything of that size.  Now I want to find this porting software just to see how it works and what's possible.  I'd be scared to do anything big to one of my bikes, but it'd be cool regardless.  Besides, I'm going to be in college next year learning engineering, and it'd be cool to come out at the en of my education with a two-stroke from Hell designed in the computer.

Are we eventually going to be able to learn these "secret" modifications on the bike, or is that going to always be an exclusive Project Two 50 thing?  Sounds like something that might add some horsepower into TSRII (Two Stroke Revolution II).

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline KTMguy

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:32:39 PM »
Cool read. There were a few facts though that sounded a little far fetched. A couple grand for a 4 stroke top end?

I hope to see you guys at Unadilla and Steel City

Best of luck

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 12:37:01 PM »
Excellent interview John I"m glad you reconize us in Wisconsin for being more than just cheese heads. I participated at Eagle River in the past with sleds, and when they fire up some of the tripples (2-strokes) the sonic pulse will change your heart rhythm. What car are you in?
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 01:11:36 PM »
Cool interview, thanks for posting it.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 01:12:19 PM »
Cool read. There were a few facts though that sounded a little far fetched. A couple grand for a 4 stroke top end?

I hope to see you guys at Unadilla and Steel City

Best of luck

This is the biggest bone of contention on almost every forum, the cost of a top end on a four-stroke. Really it depends on how hard you ride and what work you have done to your machine.

When I speak about it I'm talking about the guys that race at the A level or above. There are really no stock machines at that level. They are built for speed and extremely fragile because of it. Somewhere on You Tube there was a video of a BMW 4-stroke top end in which you could see the valve float pretty easily (it was taken down)

Put a very fast racer on one of those machines and he will wear the engine at a much higher rate than a trail rider...

I'm positive you can find examples of MX four-strokes that have many years of riding on them that still run just fine, but my illusion is that these machines were trail ridden and not subjected to the stresses that a pro puts a racing four stroke through.

As for the cost... just visit Pro Circuit with an adding machine. The parts prices add up pretty quickly! You could easily go more than two grand, without any head work, just the valves, cams, keepers, piston, rings and gaskets should have you over that number....

Please come over and introduce yourself at the the races!

Thanks!
Life is short.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 01:18:49 PM »
Congratulations, on the article.  I can't wait to see Project Two 50 at Steel City.  I will definitely stop by to say hello, and offer the 4 strokers my condolences
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 03:52:54 PM »
Hey John,

Gotta say, AWESOME interview. Inspirational actually, makes me wanna go carve out some motos on MY YZ250. Extremely excited about the AMA nationals now, even though I am on the other side of the earth. Reading about the recent deveolpments in porting theories really sparked my interest, and will be looking much further into this, but any info that goes up onto the main website would be much appreciated and read with great interest.

Keep up the great work guys, you are making a huge difference.

Oh and by the way, Best of luck in the Nationals. I know that all that hard work will pay off !!!!!!!!!
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline TxTechRedRider

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 03:58:18 PM »
Awesome article.  I didnt know you guys plan to have a couple more two stroke bikes racing next year, very cool.
I am really looking forward to Wortham.  The sound and smell of a two stroke in the air, kicking some butt.
I saw that some of the sponsors are some of the gear I use.   I use Oneal pants and jersey and Scott goggles already, I might just have to drop them a line and let them know I appreciate their support for project two50.  And once I can get another bike, I may have to get some FMF pipes.  The Oneal gear looks great.  Being a honda fan for so many years, I HAD a hard time cheering for a yamaha, but NOT anymore.  I know, I know my brand has screwed motorcross and I feel sorry for them, their handicap'd, lol  :P
Rock-on project two50 ! ! !
07 Honda Cr125.   
Petition signer #61

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 05:50:22 PM »
That was an awesome interveiw John!And in respones to KTMguy's post I find it hard to beleive that he finds it far fetched to put a couple grand into a 4-chokes top end?? :o A 4-choke built & designed to race MX or SX very easily WILL swallow up a couple $grand$ + and one that is highly built for Class A and above racing can swallow even alot more $$GREEN$$ than a few grand!

Offline RideRedMx2

• Expert
  • HRC FACTORY RACING
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000301824082&ref=profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 06:29:21 PM »
So you guys will be at Freestone?i'll be sure to stop by and say hey......great interview  ;D

Honda CR-250R #2.....Vet Class
CycleNation Powersports...Cycle Center Of Denton...HRC Factory Racing

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 07:48:42 PM »
Great interview, I love the new Super Hunky website - Matt's input is fantastic!!  All this great two stroke news lately has gotten me off my butt - I raced my first MX in two years last weekend.  Extremely rusty, but had an epic battle for 6th place in the 40+ C class with another guy on a 2000 CR250, he got the best of me and my YZ at the end though.  Man, I didn't realize how much I missed it!!

Offline ASH510

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 08:29:23 PM »
great interview.
when i get my new bike i am gonna have to get my
motor done by who ever did Team TWO50's motors.

i hope you guys kick some 4choke butts

Offline Turquine

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 12:31:11 AM »
This is a great interview, was really heartened by it. To be honest, although I was all for the 250 project, I really didn't see it as having much of a chance in competing against the factory 450 thumpers due to the huge power disparity. Too much of one, for the nimbleness and better handling of the lighter 250 to overcome, especially on tracks deliberately designed to favor those 4stroke piles of fecal material.

These days, usually, when one sees engine mods or hop ups being done on 2stroke motors in magazines, it's more than likely to be to smooth out and broaden the powerband. Actual increases in power are usually minute, and sometimes they even lose a bit in max hp. I guess due to that, I had it in mind that such would be the approach of Project 250, and against the big factory thumpers, that's a recipe for defeat. You need the power to match the thumpers at least, in acceleration, and a rider who can handle it. The KTM 150SX, for instance, can actually out accelerate the 250 thumpers, even if only by a hair. I do remember reading that one of RC's factory 250s a few years back was producing about 56 hp, but the trend seemed to be moving away from that. KTM's SX 250 is detuned somewhat from the 2003 (I believe) model which scared the sissy-boy testers (boo hoo). Sheesh! They still have the most powerful stock 250, but it used to be even hotter. Anyhow, I let out a whoop when I saw the approach Project 250 is taking with their bike and that they are not pulling any punches in the power department. They're not satisfied with the pantywaist approach of merely a "broader, smoother" powerband. BRAVO!!!! Not against a broad and smooth powerband in a 2stroke, but if it's at the expense of power, forget it. Better to have the power, and a rider who knows how to put it to use. Seems Project 250 indeed has that in spades. Great job, guys!

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 05:50:22 AM »

These days, usually, when one sees engine mods or hop ups being done on 2stroke motors in magazines, it's more than likely to be to smooth out and broaden the powerband. Actual increases in power are usually minute, and sometimes they even lose a bit in max hp. I guess due to that, I had it in mind that such would be the approach of Project 250, and against the big factory thumpers, that's a recipe for defeat. You need the power to match the thumpers at least, in acceleration, and a rider who can handle it. The KTM 150SX, for instance, can actually out accelerate the 250 thumpers, even if only by a hair. I do remember reading that one of RC's factory 250s a few years back was producing about 56 hp, but the trend seemed to be moving away from that. KTM's SX 250 is detuned somewhat from the 2003 (I believe) model which scared the sissy-boy testers (boo hoo). Sheesh! They still have the most powerful stock 250, but it used to be even hotter. Anyhow, I let out a whoop when I saw the approach Project 250 is taking with their bike and that they are not pulling any punches in the power department. They're not satisfied with the pantywaist approach of merely a "broader, smoother" powerband. BRAVO!!!! Not against a broad and smooth powerband in a 2stroke, but if it's at the expense of power, forget it. Better to have the power, and a rider who knows how to put it to use. Seems Project 250 indeed has that in spades. Great job, guys!

While we want our machine to produce the most horsepower possible, there is a balance between acceleration and just spinning your rear wheel.

Just so you know a 250cc two-stroke motor can produce upwards of 70 horsepower. This is what they use in karts and other applications. That is very near the upper limits of the 250cc two-stroke. And would be impracticable for motocross for many reasons, the largest being that the exhaust pipe would need to be so different that you could not possibly fit it on the bike

Our challenge is to produce as much as possible without making the machine impossible to ride. We are working on it!!

Thanks for all the kudos!!
Life is short.