Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Riddle me this....  (Read 14338 times)

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Riddle me this....
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 03:53:15 PM »
KTM is a complete bling bike,hydaulic clutch,rotars,wp shock,chain, similar stuff as the TM so balls before bling don,t make sense. A 06 cr250 Honda makes more peek hp than a ktm. Tm,s are race ready for mx, a yz or ktm is tuned for mx,harescrambles,ice riding,trail riding,etc. In 98 I had a Noleen yz125 national bike that holeshot a national,I rode a  98 stock tm 125 and it was quite a bit faster. The Noleen yz125 was built to run on race fuel also. I owned 3 yz ,s they good bikes,but speaking of bikes that I owned the cr125 is a much better bike than a yz125 or rm 125. My 04 cr144 is a race only engine,my 06 cr125 with just a icat,rad valve and pc silencer is quicker and faster than a yz 125 2010 with a pipe and silencer on a friday night track, and the cr,s handling is better. The tm supposed to handle like a cr 125 and that,s the best handling bike ever made.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 04:30:46 PM »
I don't mind Mail Order Parts.  The local dealerships all charge way too much in comparision and they can still take months to deliver.  I ordered stuff for a Honda and actually never got it, after 2 months I just canceled half the order. 

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 05:30:03 PM »
My local Honda/Yamaha dealer has had the parts I have needed in stock 90% of the time.
If they don't stock them US Honda is 30 miles away, US Yamaha is 15 miles away.
FMF is 20, L.A. Sleeve 15. I have good report with all of them. I don't ask for any favors, I just expect good service. L.A. Sleeve, And my dealer will stock parts for me.

Consumables Oil, Tires, etc... My dealer (LeBard and Underwood) is very reasonable, And I would pay more to support the local guy.

Some kid wrote in to Dirt Bike magazine asking which 125 to buy, Super Hunkey told him they were all close, Pick the best dealer in town and buy whatever they sold. This may not be the best advise for every situation, But it has served me well, I have bought 6 bikes in 10 years from the same dealer, I have had very few problems, And they were resolved quickly.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 07:20:48 PM »
My local dealer is Motosport, that is prolly the problem :)

I do get a lot of machine work done by a guy who has a shop in his garage, that's about as local as you can get :)
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 10:10:32 PM »
I think i can help with your problem ford.
Paint your YZ a slightly different shade of blue & i can send you a set of TM graphics.
Easy fix  ;D ;)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 02:13:45 AM »
A 06 cr250 Honda makes more peek hp than a ktm.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 02:17:09 AM by SwapperMX »
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline Turquine

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 12:50:49 PM »

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 12:59:12 PM »
Not sure who would win a test on the dyno against the KTM, YZ, TM or Maico.. anyone performing this shootout would need to have one of each bike on the same day at the same dyno. As anyone that has ever used a dyno can tell you the readings on them will change from day-to-day.

Since MXA has not tested or put the TM on the dyno, it's hard to compare these machines. If the 250 is anything like the 125, comparably, it will be faster than either the KTM or YZ. I have no proof of this though and have not done a back-to-back comparison.

Although after a telephone call the other day, there will most likely be a new 250cc two-stroke horsepower king crowned soon.
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Turquine

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 01:10:09 PM »
Okay, John, not fair, now I'm gonna be in suspense until I see which one it is, lol. A new 250 hp king, you got me drooling, but I'm sure you aren't allowed to tell. I'm sure looking forward to reading about it though :-)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 02:08:08 PM »
250 horsepower king?  That'll be the CRF250, right?  :P

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 02:13:28 PM »
:o :o :o
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 05:09:25 PM »
My 2c.
While I cant quote on the TM250 specifically my 300 against a 250 is not a fair fight.
I know it is 50cc bigger but from the reports i have read the 250 has similar peak power to the 300. Just less torque in the midrange.
My olds RM had 45hp ? and the motor was in excellent order.
My mates KX has a pipe and jetting. 45hp ?
Neither bike comes remotely close to keeping up with the TM.
My guess would be a TM250 would have more power then a KTM & certainly more then a RM/KX/YZ.
I dont buy into the bling factor either.
While the bits on the tm's might look flash they are there to serve a purpose.
Billet clamps/Hubs , over size spokes etc make the bike stronger.
Some people enjoy buying after market parts for their bikes. I prefer to just ride.

Question for GlennC.
Whats your beef with parimeter frames & Hydraulic clutches. just curious ?
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 05:46:05 PM »
KTM is a complete bling bike,hydaulic clutch,rotars,wp shock,chain, similar stuff as the TM so balls before bling don,t make sense. A 06 cr250 Honda makes more peek hp than a ktm. Tm,s are race ready for mx, a yz or ktm is tuned for mx,harescrambles,ice riding,trail riding,etc. In 98 I had a Noleen yz125 national bike that holeshot a national,I rode a  98 stock tm 125 and it was quite a bit faster. The Noleen yz125 was built to run on race fuel also. I owned 3 yz ,s they good bikes,but speaking of bikes that I owned the cr125 is a much better bike than a yz125 or rm 125. My 04 cr144 is a race only engine,my 06 cr125 with just a icat,rad valve and pc silencer is quicker and faster than a yz 125 2010 with a pipe and silencer on a friday night track, and the cr,s handling is better. The tm supposed to handle like a cr 125 and that,s the best handling bike ever made.

Sorry bros the KTM put 49 hp naked stock! No others can compare til TM show up! CR best handling bike ever made? Never tried any last gen of 2 strokes Suzuki? That thing corner like a BMX.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 05:50:05 PM by 2smoker »
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 07:18:30 PM »
Just heard the the 2011 YZ250 "MAY" ?? be the last.  Gonna watch the TM's and the KTM's as the seem to be in my future. I love my 08 YZ250 but I did ride a KTM 300 at Ace and all I could say was Wow. I am a dedicated Yamaha 2 stroke fan but take my option away and ya lost me. I may only buy a bike every 3 to 4 years but the kids are getting to that new bike a year stage. Who wants our business I wonder.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 10:20:03 PM »

Question for GlennC.
Whats your beef with parimeter frames & Hydraulic clutches. just curious ?

Perimeter Frame - I crashed in a pile of rocks and ruined one.

Hydraulic Clutch - No real beef, I just don't think they are much better than a well maintained cable.
I have a cable on my CR500, One finger all day. Allot of 500 guys change out their cables to hydraulic because they need a new cable/basket/hub. The hydraulic system can mask the symptoms of a worn out part. I like my bike to tell me when it needs work, well in advance.

I'm not saying you should not like them, I just think they are overkill.