Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Fuel types?  (Read 5813 times)

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel types?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 09:27:25 PM »
Never actually used race fuel but i heard if you dont keep it cool it goes bad. And i've also heard that race fuel does not increase performance, actually talked to blake whartons mechanic about it 2 weeks ago he said in a high compression head you have to run race gas and that it makes the engine run cooler. And running race fuel in a stock engine very well may make it run worse

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 09:47:13 PM »
Never actually used race fuel but i heard if you dont keep it cool it goes bad. And i've also heard that race fuel does not increase performance, actually talked to blake whartons mechanic about it 2 weeks ago he said in a high compression head you have to run race gas and that it makes the engine run cooler. And running race fuel in a stock engine very well may make it run worse

That's true, higher octane fuel burns slower so if you don't have high enough compression to burn the fuel efficiently you have more unburnt fuel going out the exhaust and therefore less power. Too low of an octane fuel promotes detonation.
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 10:19:20 PM »
riff, I keep hearing about detonation and things like my engine is pinging. What exactly is detonation?

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 11:03:10 PM »
Detonation or pinging, is where the fuel charge is combusting before the spark plug can ignite it. It sounds a bit like someone put ballbearings in your combustion chamber.
It can be caused by a number of reasons, but mainly heat.

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 11:36:17 PM »
Detonation or pinging, is where the fuel charge is combusting before the spark plug can ignite it. It sounds a bit like someone put ballbearings in your combustion chamber.
It can be caused by a number of reasons, but mainly heat.

yep that's it, and to expand on it... as your piston is traveling up the cylinder on the compression stroke the fuel/air mixture ignites before the plug sparks and tries to push the piston back down, sorta like smacking the top of the piston with a hammer
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 12:34:38 AM »
Also, unlike normal combustion, detonation is rather violent.  Normally, when the spark plug sparks it creates a small and slow-moving flame throughout the combustion chamber.  This flame expands so slowly, in fact, that the piston would be at the bottom of its stroke by the time this flame managed to burn everything.  Fortunately, the flame is hot, so after a very short time the heat from it causes the rest of the gas to ignite and you get a complete combustion.  However, when detonation occurs, usually it's because there's just flat-out enough heat in the combustion chamber to ignite the gas in this manner, BEFORE the spark plug gets a chance to do anything.  So instead of a slow burn that shoves the piston down, when your engine is pinging you just get a big bang that puts major stress on all the parts in your engine, and loses you power.  And as if that weren't bad enough, pinging creates more heat which makes the engine more likely to ping on the next cycle!

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 05:18:34 AM »
If it goes on long enough, it will put a nice, nickel-sized hole in the top of your piston.  I know from experience!!!  That's why ever since they went with 10% methanol even in premium 93 I mix in about a gallon of C12 with 3 gals of pump gas.  The race gas is just much more consistent and make jetting easier.

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 06:55:09 AM »
Wow lol thx for the info guys, that does sound violent for sure. I think I may be a little more wary on my gas selection now.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 09:22:26 PM »
Now I have a question.  Doesn't ethanol have a higher octane (slower burn) than regular gasoline anyway?  What is it about ethanol that makes it undesirable for these high-performance motors?  Did they add 10% ethanol and then 5% water just to keep the octane down like it is?

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?