Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: The "PR" battle  (Read 3625 times)

Offline MMS

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
The "PR" battle
« on: December 15, 2009, 01:32:13 AM »
I've exchanged a few e-mails with "the boss" of the site but this is my first post and hopefully not my last, however my view of things will be from the other side of the pond so maybe not always relevant,...............but you're going to get it anyway!

Seen an interesting thread on our local motocross forum recently which I though perfectly summed up the PR battle that 2-strokes are up against. A rider with no experience whatsoever of a "stroker" but a head full of paddock waffle and prejudices but then on the plus side a very positive report from someone with the nerve to set that aside and actually try one. Finally then topped off with the difficulties in getting one if you do decide that it's the way to go.

A strange contrast of myth v reality!

http://www.umxforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=6980
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:35:03 AM by MMS »

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: The "PR" battle
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 04:08:14 AM »
That is the way to put this debate into perspective, it's a PR battle.

I know that folks get mad at me about this line of thinking, but the fact that pro racers use four-strokes and say in interviews that four-strokes are better than their two-strokes, makes a huge difference.

Then the constant pounding by the mainstream motocross media saying the four-strokes are the way to go, when their advertising comes from manufacturers of four-strokes and those that build parts for them.

The average person is overwhelmed, and instead of trying the bikes out for themselves and making an unbiased decision, they go by what their favorite racer uses and the magazines tout as being the best.

Fortunately you guys in England have access to series with two-strokes only. I would imagine that would make a huge difference.

How can we balance the lopsided media push for four-strokes?

Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline westyzkx

• Novice
  • Two Stroke Militia
    • View Profile
    • Toyboy Connection
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 05:52:54 PM »
To balance the battle I still say one thing we could do is to get a letter drafted - and encourage people to print it off, sign it and send it to all the magazines / manufacturers and anyone else of relevance. Thats a good start to get our voice heard. We go to the effort of posting on here - lets go to the effort of posting to the people that matter in the fight to bring 2 strokes back to.
www.toyboyconnection.com - online dating for younger men and older women

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 05:55:28 AM »
I agree!!!

Do you want to take a stab at a draft????  :D
Life is short.

Offline Alec S

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 10:51:58 AM »
I don't think the dirt bike industry is alone by any means when it comes to providing the consumer with what THEY want to provide the consumer with.

Human psychology is a huge factor in how/why we make decisions.
Getting people to ask question rather then just agree with the masses is the answer ATMO.  It's not as easy as some think.

The more we can inform, educate and not alienate others the better off we'll all be.

For the manufacturers, I would guess it's a numbers [$$$$] game. If there's a market someone will fill it and they're all in it to make money. Perhaps we can be part of that market movement.

Offline westyzkx

• Novice
  • Two Stroke Militia
    • View Profile
    • Toyboy Connection
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »
I agree!!!

Do you want to take a stab at a draft????  :D

Yes I will put something together and post it on here shortly when I'm done - I'm the sort of person who likes to get off my ass & get stuff moving lol
www.toyboyconnection.com - online dating for younger men and older women

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 05:48:29 PM »
You're the MAN!!

Thank you!
Life is short.