Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: What is the love with Maico????  (Read 15937 times)

Offline dogger315

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: What is the love with Maico????
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2009, 06:09:29 PM »
In this case talking crap about the Maico... without any experience or knowledge about them.
I completely understand how he feels, which is why I make it a point not to bag on another man's brand no matter
what I think of it.  Personally, my only experience with Maicos are the two years I fielded a 1974 400 radial GP as
an amateur.  Tons of useable power, excellent handling, poor reliability.  It and the 440 were the bikes to beat
those years.

The fact is if we keep an open mind and listen to the others on the forum, we'll learn a great deal more about our beloved sport

John, that's good advice for everyone.  By the way, I love the idea of a Maico vs CR500AF shootout.  I hope it can
be pulled off.

dogger

Recovered

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2009, 07:11:08 PM »
In this case talking crap about the Maico... without any experience or knowledge about them.
I completely understand how he feels, which is why I make it a point not to bag on another man's brand no matter
what I think of it.  Personally, my only experience with Maicos are the two years I fielded a 1974 400 radial GP as
an amateur.  Tons of useable power, excellent handling, poor reliability.  It and the 440 were the bikes to beat
those years.

The fact is if we keep an open mind and listen to the others on the forum, we'll learn a great deal more about our beloved sport

John, that's good advice for everyone.  By the way, I love the idea of a Maico vs CR500AF shootout.  I hope it can
be pulled off.

dogger

I'd love to see that shootout too, with two additions. Add in the KX 500 and make sure it is done by any body not bought and sold with advertising $$$$$$$$$$$$$. I just don't know who that would be.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2009, 09:41:10 PM »
Maybe it could be us as a collective.  There could be a sort of drive where we draw out a plan to create such a test, make up a budget and start taking down names.  People volunteer to donate however much money they want to contribute to the test.  When one signs up, he/she is committed to donate the amount of money they say to, if and only if the target amount gets promised.

Let's say we need $2000 to make it work (I have no idea) and I'm going to promise $50.  I could say I'm going to do that now, and not pay a cent.  Then, once the "promise balance" or whatever reaches $2000, we know that the drive was a success and everyone pays.  If $2000 isn't reached, there's no wasted money.  We could also go around, talk to dudes at races, make posts on other forums and such to help spread the word for the idea of an unbiased shootout with independent, unaffiliated test riders.  What do you guys think?

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 03:09:30 AM »
Jetzcorp that idea has some real potential. I love it.

I will respond to this in more detail in another post.....
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 10:04:33 AM »
Hey Twostroker I take you've never got the opprutunity to ride one of the badas# Maicos? I'm sure if you ever get a chance to take one for a ride
You would definetly change your tune and have alot more respect for the Maico! It would definetely straighten you up & take any of your GAYNESS out of you!!!!LOL.

Offline Alec S

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2009, 01:09:55 PM »
I don't think personal insults are going to help anything. Perhaps it's best to keep our eyes on the ball gentleman.

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2009, 02:46:12 PM »
Hey Twostroker I take you've never got the opprutunity to ride one of the badas# Maicos? I'm sure if you ever get a chance to take one for a ride
You would definetly change your tune and have alot more respect for the Maico! It would definetely straighten you up & take any of your GAYNESS out of you!!!!LOL.

See....do you have anything to support your claims? What Maico did you ride? What year? Have you ride other Big-Bore Bikes before? Did you ride in you backyard or the racetrack???? What is you experience with dirt bikes???? You guys all talk about the power of the Maicos..what about the rest?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 03:06:47 PM by 2smoker »
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2009, 03:06:11 PM »
those years.

be pulled off.

dogger

I'd love to see that shootout too, with two additions. Add in the KX 500 and make sure it is done by any body not bought and sold with advertising $$$$$$$$$$$$$. I just don't know who that would be.

Mad, John , Jet anyone! Can you guys can post the specifications of each bikes...Like the 500AFX both Kawi and Honda from Service or others Cies... and the Maico with pictures... so we elaborate a bit more about the subject..Maybe silly but it is a start in the right direction???? Also! Would like to see a WR500 engine tucked in a 2010 yz250F frame with the yellow scheme!
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2009, 04:16:53 PM »
Thanks John.I'll keep an eye out.Do you know if there will be a Canadian importer?I'm a sucker for something different-probably why previous to the YZ I had a Husaberg.On the other hand,If I had the $$ right now I'd likely have a new TM sitting in the basement.Maybe next year.....
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Recovered

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »
those years.

be pulled off.

dogger

Mad, John , Jet anyone! Can you guys can post the specifications of each bikes...Like the 500AFX both Kawi and Honda from Service or others Cies... and the Maico with pictures... so we elaborate a bit more about the subject..Maybe silly but it is a start in the right direction???? Also! Would like to see a WR500 engine tucked in a 2010 yz250F frame with the yellow scheme!

If that's what your interested in, go find the spec's and post them. We would love to see them.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2009, 04:38:56 AM »

Hey 2smoker, do you realize how much work your asking us to do, because you asked?? Yikes dude!!  :o :o

On the main site is a listing of all the 2009 Maico's, these will remain the same until sometime before the beginning of the year. Also on this site are test reports on the Service bikes as well (with another one coming soon)

If you want to see this stuff, just gather it up.

I know it's just words in cyberspace, but the way it is coming across (at least to me) is that you don't really believe the info about the Maico these guys have written, so you want to have us post the specs so that you can do a comparision.... Is this right????

The problem with comparing specs is that it only tells you one part of the equation....

While I don't have the same big bike experience these guys have, I have ridden a few CR500's, KX500's and big bore Maicos.... The Maico has a different feel to it, while not for everyone, it is a really nice bike.

I don't believe that anyone is under the impression that Maico will become the biggest selling machine, replacing the other factories, it just nice to know that someone builds current two strokes, Which means they get this sites support.

Honda does not build a current two stroke, although there bikes were some of the best. Same with Suzuki and Kawasaki. Yamaha still builds two-strokes, but for 2010 changed the graphics and raised the price. KTM continues to make updates and changes on their two-stroke bikes.

Husqvarna, Maico, TM Racing, Gas Gas and others make current two-strokes. Again no illusions that they will replace the Big 4, but the Big 4 is determined to sell four-strokes... for those that want a choice we are just showing that there is a choice.

Of course if you so desire you can buy a later model used Big 4 two-stroke.

But without new two-strokes, the chances of changing the rules in the pro classes becomes very, very hard. If not completely impossible.

The idea here is that we are sending a message to the Big 4... we will buy bikes from those that build waht we want. f that means buying machines from smaller manufacturers so be it.

Just so you can put all the pieces together, here is a little interesting piece of information. As you probably already know, the FIM has a 125cc European Championship being held at select MX GP's in 2010. Of course every small manufacturer will be fielding a team. The funny thing is that the Big 4 don't want to be left out and will be building race bikes for this series.

Hmmmm...
Life is short.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2009, 10:07:47 AM »
Every small manufactuer?  Maico doesn't make a 125, not since the 1979 model year

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2009, 11:08:54 AM »
You're funny!!

Every small manufacturer that currently builds a 125cc Motocross bike!!

;D ;D
Life is short.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2009, 03:38:53 AM »
I know, I'm just messing with you. :P

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline metal_miracle

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2009, 06:19:08 AM »
I want to own a maico 500 one day but its allmost impossible to find one second hand one.