Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: What is the love with Maico????  (Read 15943 times)

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: What is the love with Maico????
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 09:55:04 PM »
Sorry I messed up the quote part. I guess it must be the Museum air I breathe or something. 2smoker there are those of us who raced this brand for many years very successfully. Therefore, we like the bikes and like to talk about the brand, and it's return to the U.S.. It's easy. Don't like Maico, don't read the Maico threads. Love Honda? Start a Honda thread. Easy huh?

Nope never said I didn't like the Maicos.. I just want to know more about them!
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Recovered

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 09:59:51 PM »
Sorry I messed up the quote part. I guess it must be the Museum air I breathe or something. 2smoker there are those of us who raced this brand for many years very successfully. Therefore, we like the bikes and like to talk about the brand, and it's return to the U.S.. It's easy. Don't like Maico, don't read the Maico threads. Love Honda? Start a Honda thread. Easy huh?

Really? You said Maico's were like kissing a guy. I have never kissed a man (and I never intend to) because it's just not my thing.

That said, I have written a 3 part series on the Maico, specifically the 500. The General and I are working as fast as my aching hands will go. Part 2 should be ready soon. But part 3 will be the one to read, even though you should read parts 1 and 2 first.

To me, the proof is in the riding. I ride one, therefor I know.

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 10:05:41 PM »

Really? You said Maico's were like kissing a guy. I have never kissed a man (and I never intend to) because it's just not my thing.

That said, I have written a 3 part series on the Maico, specifically the 500. The General and I are working as fast as my aching hands will go. Part 2 should be ready soon. But part 3 will be the one to read, even though you should read parts 1 and 2 first.

To me, the proof is in the riding. I ride one, therefor I know.

Have you ever ride any Service Honda big bore?or any frame conversion 500cc bike? Which environment? Open field? Trails??? Tracks... How much did you pay for the Maico and where did you buy it? Because I have no ideas where to go in Canada to get a Maico!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 10:23:25 PM by 2smoker »

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 11:57:15 PM »

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 04:27:44 AM »
Hey 2smoker - when you said this;

Have you ever ride any Service Honda big bore?or any frame conversion 500cc bike? Which environment? Open field? Trails??? Tracks... How much did you pay for the Maico and where did you buy it? Because I have no ideas where to go in Canada to get a Maico!

Two things came to mind... forst have you ridden a Service Honda? Or have you ridden a Maico?

While Mad Scientist has probably not ridden a Service Honda, he has quite a few years of experience with the new style Maico. So he is certainly qualified to speak about that. He has ridden some of the older style Japanese bikes, so he's at least ridden both.... it's worth listening to someone with experience.

Just a few words about experience and magazine tests..... the truth is if you rode and compared the Service Honda vs the Maico 500 you would probably rate them differently than I would or anyone else. These tests are completely subjective.

Picture them as sign posts that give you an idea of what a bike is like. To find out for yourself, even after reading a test is to try to ride the machine that you felt was best. This is the only way to really "know" which bike is best for you.

As for the Maico, there are a few guys that have experience with them, many with the older machines, but one with modern Maico experience. No magazine has tested the new style Maico and folks have not idea how it works because few have seen them in person. We happen to be lucky to have a member of our board that owns one and is willing to share his experiences with that machine.

If you have other experience, we would love to hear yours as well.... but like I said at the very beginning... you must remain respectful.... the opening post is border line trouble making. Please let's not go there.

Now for the second thought brought up by your quote, how about if we attempt to do a shootout ourselves between the Maico and the Service Honda?? All we need is two people that own one of each and get them to the same track on the sme day. As long as there willing to have a few other racers ride their bikes, we could do it.

One additional thought about the magazines and bike tests..... remember that all magazines by their nature are financially driven by ad revenue (ias well as quite a few webs sites) Some of the biggest advertisers are the major manufacturers, if not spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, at least spending many multiple thousands.

Hypothetically say that the magazine gets a chance to test a bike, one that is not a part of the Big 4 that advertises with them. Not only is the bike better than the Big 4 machines, but head and shoulders better. Unfortunately the bikes are built by a small company that doesn't have the budget to spend on major magazine advertising.

What do you think the magazine would write about this bike?

I'll tell you one thing, what would be in it for them if they recommended this better machine from someone that can't afford to advertise in their magazine. Nothing! They would not tell the absolute complete truth, because it would hurt their revenue.

So keep in mind, there just may be machines out there that are head and shoulders better then the manufacturers with the deep pockets, you just don't hear about them.

Think about it.
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Recovered

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 08:17:55 AM »
http://twostrokemotocross.com/2009/03/exclusive-maico-confirm-coming-to-canada/

That didn't take very long to find. :)

I'll leave my thoughts on aluminum framed dirt bikes until part 2 of my report comes out. That said, it was not done with the best interest of the consumer in mind.

I have ridden lots of AF dirt bikes. What's the big deal? You sound young. Listen to those of us who do more than sit around and play on the computer. I cover some of that in part 2 as well.

I have ridden lots of Japanese bikes of all kinds. And virtually every brand of euro 2 and 4t. The includes Husaberg (not the new gimmick "lay down engine" model, but I did see one that was not too impressive at a WORCS  race this year), Husky, I even owned a Gas Gas, ridden a TM (notice the "K" is missing?)..........want me to continue?

I will say this right now: THE MAICO IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. It's probably not for 95% of the market. But for those of us who love true European handling (not that twitchy junk that japan loves and KTM is working to duplicate), know the beauty of Maico's butter smooooooooth, easy to ride power and and understand how to USE that power to go faster with LESS rider fatigue, than I would suggest you consider the Maico.

BTW, does that Service Honda come with a hydraulic clutch?? Read my article, slowly, more than once.

You are in B.C. correct?

Here you go. I get some parts from John. He's a great and knowledgeable guy.

maicomotorcycles.com

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 11:43:07 PM by madscientist »

Offline dogger315

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 01:06:27 PM »
Listen to those of us who do more than sit around and play on the computer.
I guess you didn't read John's post to 2smoker about remaining respectful.

have ridden lots of Japanese bikes of all kinds. And virtually every brand of euro 2 and 4t...want me to continue?
Not really.  Many of us have ridden and raced all kinds and all brands of bikes over many years. 
That doesn't make our "opinion" about them any more relevent than the next guy.   

The very cool thing about an open forum is, among other things, you get to talk up your favorite
brand of bike.  What's not cool is when you feel compelled to p*ss on somebody else's favorite
brand(s) in the process.

I'll leave my thoughts on aluminum framed dirt bikes until part 2 of my report comes out
I do look forward to reading your "thoughts" in your report.

dogger

Recovered

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 01:15:30 PM »

have ridden lots of Japanese bikes of all kinds. And virtually every brand of euro 2 and 4t...want me to continue?
Not really.  Many of us have ridden and raced all kinds and all brands of bikes over many years.  

The very cool thing about an open forum is, among other things, you get to talk up your favorite
brand of bike.  What's not cool is when you feel compelled to p*ss on somebody else's favorite
brand(s) in the process.

I'll leave my thoughts on aluminum framed dirt bikes until part 2 of my report comes out
I do look forward to reading your "thoughts" in your report.

dogger

I didn't say anything about brands. In fact, I said if I didn't have the Maico, I'd ride a KX 500. I'm not brand loyal like some seem to be. I read the rules. When I'm out of line I expect John to put me in my place. I still stand by my posts.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:17:56 PM by madscientist »

Recovered

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 01:21:16 PM »
What is amazing to me is that some people claim I'm too harsh. Did anyone read the OP? It's always ok to hammer a euro brand bike (like the Maico) but if you say anything contrary everyone loses their mind. I have ridden a Maico. I own it. So I can say what it's like, and compare it to many other bikes that are comparable to it. Not many have even seen these bikes. I'm trying to show options the general public may not know of.

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 02:44:28 PM »
What is amazing to me is that some people claim I'm too harsh. Did anyone read the OP? It's always ok to hammer a euro brand bike (like the Maico) but if you say anything contrary everyone loses their mind. I have ridden a Maico. I own it. So I can say what it's like, and compare it to many other bikes that are comparable to it. Not many have even seen these bikes. I'm trying to show options the general public may not know of.

Scientist don't get MAD!  I know that a chromoly steel frame flex way more but a Twin spare looks 10x better! Hydraulic clutch? I can get one from Magura or Brembo for dirt cheap! Not everyone like them also... BTW I am 31 year sold.. and raced dirt bikes for 12 years straight intermediate and pro level. I quit because of the 4 stroke movement...I started this thread to know more about the Maico frenzy.. You are probably older than me and got exposed and rode dirt bikes that I am calling vintage...We are just from a different generation.. I am in the Military since 8 years and went to Afghanistan in 06 and going back probably in 2011.. Yep a I am a bit more than a guy sit on my A** in front of a computer...I like to shake things up to make threads a bit more interesting...This is it.. Do you really think I will say no for a ride with your Maico? :)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 03:33:01 PM »

Not really.  Many of us have ridden and raced all kinds and all brands of bikes over many years. 

brand of bike.  What's not cool is when you feel compelled to p*ss on somebody else's favorite
brand(s) in the process.

Hey Dogger....

Hopefully the first quote from Mad Scientist doesn't bother anyone... at least on this board.

The way I read it is that he's tired of folks talking about things that they don't know anything about. In this case talking crap about the Maico... without any experience or knowledge about them. He started by defending the brand that he owns and knows....

Along the lines of your comment about not p*ssing on somebody else's favorite....

The tough part of any forum is that for the most part we are all competitors and have our own opinions about a lot of things. This creates a situation which could spiral quickly out of control. Which is why I ask that one simple rule be used, respect.

In addition the written word is not so forgiving, especially when we write when we are upset... sometimes to get a point across we use the wrong wording or wrong tone... not meaning to create problems, but we do.

We got to give each other a little slack at times....

The fact is if we keep an open mind and listen to the others on the forum, we'll learn a great deal more about our beloved sport. What could be better than that??

Thank you for being a part of the forum.
Life is short.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 04:57:25 PM »
Hi guys,cool site.I had to register when I saw this thread.My problem with Maico has always been that every year for probably the last ten I've heard "Maico's back!" and each year it seems nothing happens-until the same headline next year.Are they actually producing bikes presently with whoever owns them now or are they just throwing out a few one-offs for the new year.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Recovered

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »

Scientist don't get MAD!  I know that a chromoly steel frame flex way more but a Twin spare looks 10x better! Hydraulic clutch? I can get one from Magura or Brembo for dirt cheap! Not everyone like them also... BTW I am 31 year sold.. and raced dirt bikes for 12 years straight intermediate and pro level. I quit because of the 4 stroke movement...I started this thread to know more about the Maico frenzy.. You are probably older than me and got exposed and rode dirt bikes that I am calling vintage...We are just from a different generation.. I am in the Military since 8 years and went to Afghanistan in 06 and going back probably in 2011.. Yep a I am a bit more than a guy sit on my A** in front of a computer...I like to shake things up to make threads a bit more interesting...This is it.. Do you really think I will say no for a ride with your Maico? :)

Wasn't MAD. So let me address what you have brought up because they are LEGITIMATE questions. Frame flex is dictated by DESIGN, not materiel. If you buy an aftermarket hydraulic clutch, it won't have a SLAVE CYLINDER to operate the clutch, per se. It just pulls the clutch arm with the slave cylinder. So I'm clear here, the aftermarket kits do not operate the clutch by actuating the clutch pushrod directly. So it's not the same, not even close. Every single euro manufacturer has hydraulic clutches standard. Not a single Asian manufacturer does. For me, it's a big deal. When you get to 40 plus...you may change your mind. Trust me when I tell you a late model Maico is NOT vintage. I cover more on AF bikes in part 2. You can read it when it's posted. BTW...I thought you said you were in BC. Yes or no? If you are, there is a Maico guy there and I thought I put his address in this thread. He used to have pics of one of his customers riding an 06 500 in the 40 plus class, which he  won. Much to the squealing of all the guys who didn't like getting beat by a "vintage" Maico.

I have a link to a story about a guy who got off his late model AF 4T dirt bike for a 1981 490 Maico, because the Maico was better. If everyone keeps their cool in this thread I'll post it. John has hung his butt on the line for TSM and this forum. I personally will try and not do anything to make him regret his actions. It's John's sand box AND sand. I will respect his rules.

Here you go    maicomotorcycles.com

Recovered

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 05:39:02 PM »
I need to check with Caldwell on my facts. I just looked at the site (maicomotorcycles.com) and the guy was using a 1983 490 against modern bikes and winning. But I'm pretty sure he did the same thing with his modern bike, of which there is a pic of him racing it.

Just trying to be factually accurate.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 05:50:40 PM »
Hi guys,cool site.I had to register when I saw this thread.My problem with Maico has always been that every year for probably the last ten I've heard "Maico's back!" and each year it seems nothing happens-until the same headline next year.Are they actually producing bikes presently with whoever owns them now or are they just throwing out a few one-offs for the new year.

Hey Ford832 welcome to the forum!

I certainly can relate to your frustration. But in this case I may be able to help you. I know that in the past there has been lot's of promises, with not much follow through.

There is a very, very high probability that Maico will be distributed here in the USA in 2010. How do I know, well I know the guy that is negotiating to set up distribution. He has the ability to get the job done and is very passionate about Maico.

Unfortunately that is all that can be said for now....

Well except that one of his ideas to promote the bikes is to set up test rides for potential new customers. Should be fun!

Besides if you're really determined you can get anything you want. All it takes is money and desire. ;D
Life is short.