Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Two stroke is alive and well  (Read 3520 times)

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: Two stroke is alive and well
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 10:26:03 AM »
Nice find!! Thanks for the link!!

How many of you guys would choose to get an electric starter for your dirt bike?
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Recovered

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 01:45:02 PM »
I ride an open class bike. Skip the electric start, even though my knees may hate me for it.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 02:01:05 PM »
I ride a 2000 300 EXC (comparable to the XCW of today)...  I drool over the new bikes with the happy button.  True I ride 90% trails and hare scrambles, and only play on the track from time to time, but when I'm stuck at an odd angle on the side of a mountain, the happy button would sure be nice to have....

Most that I know that have the e-start button start the bike with the kicker when cold, and then use the happy button the rest of the day.  There are a few hard core riders that have removed the E-start and battery to save weight (8lbs).  Me, if I got a new bike with E-start, I'd be a happy man....
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline westsiderippa

• Expert
  • win on a 2t your a hero, lose just blame the bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »
300's are insane bikes. i have a few buddies with them. for me, i cant justify thrashing such an expensive bike in the woods when i know my 01 cr will start first kick every time, even if it sank in a river, i know from experience, lol. as for the e, start, not a fan. just added weight, problems and a battery you need to pay for. but at least they left the kick start on the 2t bikes unlike the 450sx, i cant figure that one out. everyone says, oh if im stuck on a side of a hill...... well my response to that is, if im stuck on a hill, im not going to start my bike and keep going up for the most part, chances are i need to go down to get a run at it again and im not going to kick my bike then im just going to roll down and give it a bump. everywhere i ride i would say i kick my bike half the time the rest of the time i just bump it. again its a 2t. the only thing that button has a use for is for dead engine start scramble races. bust thats just my opinion.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 04:12:18 PM »
Given a choice I'd likely say the weight penalty isn't worth it BUT- my Berg had it and I must admit it was convenient at times.Stalled on a rock hill that was climbable but balancing with one toe on the edge of doom I was happy to have it.On the track,most definitely.The weight wasn't as noticeable here and whenever I stalled in a corner I'd just yank the clutch,hit the button and keep going.Very little time lost and you're able to maintain momentum so fewer crashes as well.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 07:05:28 PM »
Stalled on a rock hill but balancing with one toe on the edge of doom!  LOL!

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 04:25:52 PM »
Yep,it was one of those situations where you're grateful to have it.Basically an eroded rock trail in the middle of two straight down rock faces.It was sort of one of those"hold my beer and watch this" situations.About 3/4 of the way up,the front wheel got kicked up at the same time the rear grabbed traction and put me almost past the balance point.Fortunately,drawing on my years off off road experience,nerves of steel and superman like reflexes,I was able to implement my usual solution-primarily "feet off and flailing"At any rate,I ended up on the bike,not quite 90' to the hill with the front wheel just on the trail and the rear on the edge of a 10' drop to a rock pile below and my left toe on the edge the same.As the Berg was a left side kick,I would have been in hard shape if not for the estart.At the time,for some reason,I flashed back to my mothers words of years before-"now just sit there and think about what you've done."Anyway,eventually I started the bike,eased myself ahead while watching the back wheel and when it was fully on the edge I tipped the bike into the hill and jumped off spread and dug in my claws and toes looking much like I was trying to mate with the rock face I suspect.I then crabbed to the front wheel of the bike and pulled it on the trail then dogged it back down and rode around like everyone else.As for what my riding buddies were doing at the time,I'm sure they would have helped but seemed to be incapacitated by some sort of shared hacking,gagging,convulsive fit.That's what they said anyway and I couldn't really doubt them as they all seemed to have tears in their eyes as well.Looking back,I'm not sure why I ride them at all..... >:(lol.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 05:03:38 PM »
Ford - that was funny!! ;D ;D
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!