Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Pulled off the clutch basket, crank has a silicone like glue all around it?  (Read 11716 times)

Offline benji.dojo.3

• View Profile
Pulled off the clutch basket, crank has a silicone like glue all around it?
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2012, 08:45:04 AM »
Just a update, whole bike needs rebuilding. Got quoted $2430 AUD.

Piston is scored, needs new rings, cracked case, waterpump needs replacing, all seals,  and bearings.

Bike is a mess in otherwords!!

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2012, 11:23:42 AM »
A big chunk of that quote is labour. If you could do the work yourself you'd save a packet.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2012, 02:37:09 PM »
The most expensive thing is the cracked case. Find a part out bike online and buy the case if you can, and then buy all the seals and bearings and top end stuff. You can do all the seals and top end fixes your self, its pretty simple. I'm not sure how pricy the water pump is for your bike, but that's also a pretty easy fix. If you do it yourself you can probably cut that quote in half.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2012, 03:24:01 PM »
Does your dealer want a new swimming pool? Weld the case, replace the worn parts yourself and it won't cost much.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2012, 12:37:31 AM »
A big chunk of that quote is labour. If you could do the work yourself you'd save a packet.

I agree. I can't remember if you said you needed to split the cases to get at the crank seals and bearings but thats about $150 roughly if you do. Other than that basically what cnrcpla said. Issue is an Australia genuine parts outlet is hard to come across and believe me I've been looking. You won't be able to import genuine parts from rockymountain for example in the states either international trade laws or some crap. I'd look for some cases on the net, buy international if you have to. I'm constantly on ebay buying and selling random crap so I'll keep an eye out for you, I'll post up here if I see anything. What was the bike again?

Offline benji.dojo.3

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2012, 07:19:51 AM »

I agree. I can't remember if you said you needed to split the cases to get at the crank seals and bearings but thats about $150 roughly if you do. Other than that basically what cnrcpla said. Issue is an Australia genuine parts outlet is hard to come across and believe me I've been looking. You won't be able to import genuine parts from rockymountain for example in the states either international trade laws or some crap. I'd look for some cases on the net, buy international if you have to. I'm constantly on ebay buying and selling random crap so I'll keep an eye out for you, I'll post up here if I see anything. What was the bike again?

98 KX250, I think the parts range from 92-99 Anyways. Yeah and the quote was mainly for labour the parts only accumulated to 1300. And the most expensive being the cases.  Also was wondering the piston only has scoring and they suggested to get the bore honed, wondering if I should bother or not, as the top end was replaced and is only 1 ride old prior to this problem. The 1 ride obviously has scored the piston but other then that it was a brand new Pro X piston/rings combo. Should I keep that, and i have been searching on ebay for parts, and picked up a second hand case (matching set) and also the gasket kits. They quoted 6 hours labour also at $95AUD per hour. Pretty expensive I think!!

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2012, 09:12:33 AM »

98 KX250, I think the parts range from 92-99 Anyways. Yeah and the quote was mainly for labour the parts only accumulated to 1300. And the most expensive being the cases.  Also was wondering the piston only has scoring and they suggested to get the bore honed, wondering if I should bother or not, as the top end was replaced and is only 1 ride old prior to this problem. The 1 ride obviously has scored the piston but other then that it was a brand new Pro X piston/rings combo. Should I keep that, and i have been searching on ebay for parts, and picked up a second hand case (matching set) and also the gasket kits. They quoted 6 hours labour also at $95AUD per hour. Pretty expensive I think!!

If I had to choose one thing I hate about my country, its the prices of everything under the sun. Absolutely ridiculous everything is more expensive here. Regarding the scored piston, I would suggest employing a cylinder bore gauge to measure the cylinder bore. Take several measurements from several different points around the cylinder and if any of them differ more than 0.05 from eachother I would DEFINITELY have it rehoned. I'd probably do it if it was .03 actually. take a few snappies of the piston, post them up on here and see what everyone has to say.

Offline benji.dojo.3

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2012, 01:57:14 AM »

If I had to choose one thing I hate about my country, its the prices of everything under the sun. Absolutely ridiculous everything is more expensive here. Regarding the scored piston, I would suggest employing a cylinder bore gauge to measure the cylinder bore. Take several measurements from several different points around the cylinder and if any of them differ more than 0.05 from eachother I would DEFINITELY have it rehoned. I'd probably do it if it was .03 actually. take a few snappies of the piston, post them up on here and see what everyone has to say.

Will post pictures up when I get the chance, should be later on this arvo, and yeah I will measure it all out I probally will do it just to ensure that nothing else goes wrong with this heap of junk !!