Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: de carbonising expansion chamber  (Read 12153 times)

Offline Rota Ash

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
de carbonising expansion chamber
« on: March 13, 2010, 02:25:04 PM »
looking in my expansion chamber the other day its full f carbon,  the previous owner had been runnig a rich oil mixture as well as the bike being very rich in the air/fuel ratio, whats the easiest way of getting the built up carbon out without cutting the pipe apart, its an fmf gnarly pipe in good nic besides the fact its full of carbon, is there any product that basically just eats carbon away ?

Offline Chokey

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Re: de carbonising expansion chamber
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 08:08:22 PM »
I take my pipes to the local radiator shop and have them hot-tanked. They come out like new, and it usually only costs $10-15.

Offline Rota Ash

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 03:47:39 PM »
ended up takin them in to an engine building shop cost me $10 defo worth it!!! came out like brand new

Offline DangisMX

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 05:48:05 AM »
Hey everybody, this is my first post here, although i have been hanging around for some time now:)

This may sound stupid, but I my granddad said he would simply hang pipes over a fire and it would burn away everything from the inside. This is pretty old school, and he did it with straight pipes from old russian two stroke motorcycles, so it's hard to tell how it would work with a pipe that's not straight...And you would end up with a really dirty piece of metal that still would need to be cleaned :) . Just thought that this is something cool that I can share and finally make my first post here :)

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 03:07:22 PM »
Not a bad idea at all.I just take an oxyacetylene torch to mine,of course it needs to be painted afterwards.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Chokey

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 04:05:13 PM »
That will work, if you don't mind having to re-finish the pipe afterwards.

The hot tank won't harm the finish at all, and will clean the inside much more thoroughly.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 03:50:24 PM »
The amount of rock dings and smashes in mine make the refinishing issue irrelevant.I really need to invest in a pipe guard ;D

Offline Chokey

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 06:20:30 PM »
The amount of rock dings and smashes in mine make the refinishing issue irrelevant.I really need to invest in a pipe guard ;D
And send the pipe to www.piperepair.com

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 12:10:49 PM »
Rota Ash I'm glad you got your FMF "gnarly" pipe cleaned out.Now that it's nice & clean again you can do what I like to do to keep it carbon free & clean.Take the beast out to the longest dirt strait you can find & run the piss out of it!!! I mean REALLY wined it out in every gear wide open till it can't rev any further & do that in every gear until you run out of road!That will keep it clean plus you'll have lots of fun doing it! :P :o :D >:D

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 02:46:58 PM »
looking in my expansion chamber the other day its full f carbon,  the previous owner had been runnig a rich oil mixture as well as the bike being very rich in the air/fuel ratio, whats the easiest way of getting the built up carbon out without cutting the pipe apart, its an fmf gnarly pipe in good nic besides the fact its full of carbon, is there any product that basically just eats carbon away ?

First rich oil mixtures don't cause carbon build up rich JETTING causes it. As combustion temps never get hot enough to burn the oil. I showed a friend a pipe from a kart that I helped tune and after 2 years running and week of the pipe sitting round outside had slight surface rust inside the header.I had a hard time convincing him the pipe had been actualy used.
Ordinary caustic soda (drain cleaner) will when left in the pipe overnight shift 90% of carbon build up, along with a stiff wire with a hook and banging with a mallet.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 04:37:31 PM »
Rota Ash I'm glad you got your FMF "gnarly" pipe cleaned out.Now that it's nice & clean again you can do what I like to do to keep it carbon free & clean.Take the beast out to the longest dirt strait you can find & run the piss out of it!!! I mean REALLY wined it out in every gear wide open till it can't rev any further & do that in every gear until you run out of road!That will keep it clean plus you'll have lots of fun doing it! :P :o :D >:D

That procedure also has the added benefit of allowing you to perfect your engine rebuilding skills. :o

Offline Rota Ash

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 12:35:28 AM »

First rich oil mixtures don't cause carbon build up rich JETTING causes it. As combustion temps never get hot enough to burn the oil. I showed a friend a pipe from a kart that I helped tune and after 2 years running and week of the pipe sitting round outside had slight surface rust inside the header.I had a hard time convincing him the pipe had been actualy used.
Ordinary caustic soda (drain cleaner) will when left in the pipe overnight shift 90% of carbon build up, along with a stiff wire with a hook and banging with a mallet.

yeh my bike is jetted way too rich but im not gonna jet it till i get a new rear silencer, i think that is all i can do performance wise to the bike now everything else has been done  :)

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 05:11:18 AM »
the silencer won't make a bit of differeence in your jetting issue, rejet it now, or you'll be right back where you started, carbon builds fast.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 08:22:22 AM »
the silencer won't make a bit of differeence in your jetting issue, rejet it now, or you'll be right back where you started, carbon builds fast.

That's incorrect, a silencer that has oil soaked packing can cause a rich condition.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 12:24:38 PM »

That's incorrect, a silencer that has oil soaked packing can cause a rich condition.
How?