Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Great YZ250 history article in MXA  (Read 3385 times)

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
Great YZ250 history article in MXA
« on: April 07, 2010, 05:37:46 AM »
In today's MXA on-line there is a great write-up on the history of the YZ250 under the Mid-Week Report, you have to scroll down a ways to get to it.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=E7A745697F57419BA75AB5992312560F

"Despite there not being any revolutionary, new technology found with the 2010 YZ250, the real celebration was over the fact that Yamaha was having a YZ250 press intro at all.  It seems ironic that at a time when all the factories are suffering a downturn in new bike sales, that some of them at least may have helped foment the problem by doing away with their more affordable two-stroke models."

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Great YZ250 history article in MXA
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:38:43 AM »
It is sad that Yamaha the one that truely started the thumper revolution, is the only Japenase MFG the still sells a smoker in the US.  Suzuki and Kawi still produce smokers, but do not import into the US.  Honda has dropped the smoker completely. If the AMA ever get of its arse and corrects a huge injustace and eliminate the displacement ruling, the exhaust note at the tracks would really be different....

BBBBBRRRRRAAAAPPPPP
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:49:44 AM »
MXLord327 you beat me to it! I just finished reading that, very cool to read in this day and age in a mainstream article. As I've said before the folks at MXA are behind the two-stroke.

The interesting part of that article is the "interview" with Doug Dubach, he mentions doing development work on both the four-stroke and two-stroke during the 1990's... noting that much of the R&D money was ear-marked for the four-stroke...

In retrospect I think the whole four-stroke thing will be seen as a fad, similar to mullets and parachute pants... two-strokes are the "voice" and soul of motocross. While the four-stroke machines are cool and easy to ride, they are only competitive with a tremendous displacement advantage.

Remove the handi-cap and the four-stroke no longer has the same lure. And most possible would no longer be competitive at the Pro level....
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 12:02:26 PM »
I agree and hope you're right John.  I think the best plan would be equal displacement for each class, and bring back the 125 Nationals.  125 two-strokes, 250 2 and 4 strokes, and Open 2-strokes and 4 strokes.  Simple to understand for the non-racer, no having to explain why 125's race against 250's etc.  Can you imagine what the turnout would be to see Justin Barcia, Austin Stroupe, Christophe Pourcel and the rest tearing up the track on 125's?  They wouldn't even have to make it a "stepping stone" to the big bikes like it has been.  Back in the 70's & 80's the 125 class had top talent in it and was as prestigious as the 250 and Open classes.  Remember Broc Glover, Johnny O, and Mark Barnett???  And don't even get me started about bringing back Open Class 2 strokes - I know it will never happen from the big 4, but get Maico in there!!!   ~Russ

Offline ferrahount

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 10:47:58 PM »
I agree and hope you're right John.  I think the best plan would be equal displacement for each class, and bring back the 125 Nationals.  125 two-strokes, 250 2 and 4 strokes, and Open 2-strokes and 4 strokes.  Simple to understand for the non-racer, no having to explain why 125's race against 250's etc.  Can you imagine what the turnout would be to see Justin Barcia, Austin Stroupe, Christophe Pourcel and the rest tearing up the track on 125's?  They wouldn't even have to make it a "stepping stone" to the big bikes like it has been.  Back in the 70's & 80's the 125 class had top talent in it and was as prestigious as the 250 and Open classes.  Remember Broc Glover, Johnny O, and Mark Barnett???  And don't even get me started about bringing back Open Class 2 strokes - I know it will never happen from the big 4, but get Maico in there!!!   ~Russ
Ahhh, the open class...
I just can remember a few real men names; David Bailey, Bob Hannah, Roger DeCoster, Danny LaPorte, Broc Glover...
My heart beats every cycle, so does my bike!

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 04:24:49 AM »
The funny thing about the demise of the Open class, is that it's back!! The 450 is an Open bike... now that the tracks have evolved over the years, my feeling is that the Open class utilizing updated two-strokes would be very popular indeed.
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline MxNate

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:43:12 AM »
Just a general question for Sh*ts and giggles.  I found a 1990 CR250 just sitting outside of a muffler place today, beat up but not so bad that I wouldnt consider riding it, what would that be worth???   Im not thinking of this for my track day bike but rather as something I could restore back to original.  Imagine that Im trying to restore a 2 stroke before I've even bought a 2 stroke, I don't have the bug I have the pandemic!

So to elaborate, '90 CR250, plastic is shot, pipe is WAY dented, chain and sprocket are hooped, bars and levers are bent and the tires look like they could be original.  It looks like it was ridden drunk and put away broken.  So what do you think I should offer him?
Nate

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 01:34:05 PM »
Just a general question for Sh*ts and giggles.  I found a 1990 CR250 just sitting outside of a muffler place today, beat up but not so bad that I wouldnt consider riding it, what would that be worth???   Im not thinking of this for my track day bike but rather as something I could restore back to original.  Imagine that Im trying to restore a 2 stroke before I've even bought a 2 stroke, I don't have the bug I have the pandemic!

So to elaborate, '90 CR250, plastic is shot, pipe is WAY dented, chain and sprocket are hooped, bars and levers are bent and the tires look like they could be original.  It looks like it was ridden drunk and put away broken.  So what do you think I should offer him?
Nate

Get pictures!!!! I will say no.. Too many 2 stroke out there.. Get one that had some love from his owner.
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 03:16:25 PM »
Well, the Open class never ceased to be popular.  The year before they axed it, the 500s still drew the highest number of amateur racers and spectators, because everyone wanted to see who could ride the bull and who couldn't.  I don't think anyone cared if the lap times weren't any better than the 250s.  The bikes were so fun, the riders frankly didn't give a damn.  But, word on da street is that a couple of the Big Four were having a lousy time competing in 500cc races, especially Suzuki who hadn't made a 500 since the '80s.  They went to the AMA and hey presto, no more big-bores.  I think it would have been fairly difficult to start the double-displacement four-stroke trend if the big two-strokes were still in the public eye.  Can you imagine someone trying to race an 850cc four-stroke to try and catch his buddy's KX500?  That's the sort of displacement you see in a Harley, it'd be hugely impractical.  Just think of the weight!  At least the beastly 760 Maico had two-stroke-ness to claim as an advantage... and a 4000rpm red-line to keep things mild.  LOL!

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?