Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: What is it worth??????  (Read 2979 times)

Offline redrider611

• Expert
    • View Profile
What is it worth??????
« on: July 28, 2010, 09:17:34 PM »
I am looking into getting a old CR450. I am not sure what years they were made.
Been in a barn for a long time. I am unsure of it's condition, however it is complete.

Any help is great.

Thanks
Soil is for farming, Dirt is for racing

"real bikes have one chain"

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: What is it worth??????
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:25:20 PM »
Here is a little rant on the early CR big bores of the 1980s:

The CR450 was made 1 year, 1981 and it is a TERRIBLE bike.  The gearing is horribly spaced from what I understand.

I have not riden one and I have not mapped out the gear pattern however, this is the word on the street.

The CR480, by all accounts, is the better bike to get which was made in 1982 (4 Speed) and 1983 (5 Speed).  The 1983 is the better of the two years, but both bikes are supposed to be quite good. 

The 1984 CR500 has a detination problem, but it can be fixed by reshaping the dome of the head, costs about $100, Harry Klumm can do it.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline redrider611

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:35:48 PM »
Thanks, I just had no clue what it would be worth. I assume now, not much. lol

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 10:01:53 PM »
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 10:32:59 PM »
Here's the Super Hunky opinion, as taken from "The Ten Worst Dirt Bikes of All Time" list.

Quote from: Rick Sieman
9. 1981 HONDA CR450. Actually, it was a 430. A 430 with a hopelessly spaced four- speed gearbox and a powerband like the tip on an X-Acto blade. It shook the steering head like someone removed the bearings, and tracked like a buffalo on steroids. The front number plate looked like a hangnail, and the suspension was a mass of confused Showa leftovers that didn't like each other. -This bike would get into a high-speed wobble at 38 mph, stalled easily and the odd spacing in the gear box always kept you over-revving the engine or bogging below the power curve.

Oh sure, it had a lot of power, but the power delivery was freaky. It would either hit hard, or hesitate, but you were never sure which would happen. Geared for off-road use, low gear would take you out to 45 mph, while fourth gear might squeak up to 80. Topping off its list of bad habits was that it was hard to start when cold, harder to start if you dropped it and when it got hot, and it tended to foul plugs and ping.
http://articles.superhunky.com/4/80

The big story for 1981 was supposedly Honda's big-and-bad 450 vs. Maico's big-and-bad 490.  Magazine readers moved to the edge of their seats to find which bike would emerge victorious.  By the time the 1981 model-year was over, the 490 alone had outsold Honda's 450, 250, and 125 combined and continues to this day as a legend, while the CR450 languishes in unpopular despair.  I imagine Honda fans were probably a tad disappointed.  Then for 1982, Honda had bought and examined some 490s (as well as a few of the men who built them!) and out comes the tremendously-improved CR480.  What a coincidence!

Not sure what it's worth, though.  I will say I think it's one of the better-looking Hondas ever made, except for that ridiculous front number plate.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline redrider611

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 12:36:25 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys. It has helped a ton. I will look for another bike to restore. This 450 belongs to guy I do a lot service for. He had mentioned trading it out for some labor.
I just dont want to get too deep into it and it not be worth anything when done.

Offline wintrader

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 06:49:08 AM »
redrider:
Check this out.

http://motorbikearchives.com/Bike-Tests/Motocross/Honda-CR450R-1981.html

I like that webpage very much!!! i looked up the bike i loved the most. The suzuki 250 1982. First watercooled model. They say it is dangerous but fast and so on. When i rode it i never thought it was dangerous. It was so much better(for me) then my maico 250 i rode the year before. For me that is. I really loved that bike. http://motorbikearchives.com/Bike-Tests/Motocross/Suzuki-RM250Z-1982.html

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 05:24:06 PM »
It's a very good site, indeed.  And don't forget to check out the videos tab for some kickass Carlsbad USGP videos!

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 06:36:40 PM »
I like that webpage very much!!! i looked up the bike i loved the most. The suzuki 250 1982. First watercooled model. They say it is dangerous but fast and so on. When i rode it i never thought it was dangerous. It was so much better(for me) then my maico 250 i rode the year before. For me that is. I really loved that bike. http://motorbikearchives.com/Bike-Tests/Motocross/Suzuki-RM250Z-1982.html

My brother just had an '82 RM250 given to him. It's VERY rough and they put 1988 plastic on it. He's in the process of stripping it down and is going to try to find the original plastic for it.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 07:29:25 PM »
I was reading that article, and I noticed something... it's got exactly the same format as every test I've ever read from Jody.  Some of his earlier work, perhaps?  I have no idea when he started at MXA, but I do remember Super Hunky saying they go "way back," so maybe he was already at the MXA offices.  Anyone know?

Do you feel lucky, punk?