Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: PK 26 to PWK 28  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Rota Ash

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
PK 26 to PWK 28
« on: November 15, 2010, 10:48:50 PM »
hey i was gonna buy a new carb for my girlfriends 97 KX100, she has the old style PK 26 carby on it and i was planning on changing it to a PWK 28, would it be as simple as just changing the jets across to the new PWK carb, is the needle interchangable from old to new, and is it even worth it, her bike has bugger all bottom end power will this help or should i just put a flywheel weight on it??

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: PK 26 to PWK 28
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 08:22:03 AM »
You are attempting to go the wrong way, for increased bottom end you want to install a carb with a smaller venturi rather then larger. As well, a heavier flywheel will reduce wheelspin and stalling, but will not create any additional bottom end.

I can't prove it, but my experiences with some of these 85/100 carbs leads me to believe they are "top end" carbs and that the designers weren't too concerned with low end performance.I myself would lean towards something like a round slide 24mm Mikuni for a noticeable increase in bottom end performance. Mind you, the porting and pipe of that KX100 were designed with top end performance, so you are fighting that as well. I have gone the old fashioned round slide Mikuni route in the past and it does work. :)

Offline Rota Ash

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 10:43:03 PM »
might just stick the the stocker then, i have a set of dual stage reeds to throw in it, hopefully that will help it out a bit

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 08:23:38 PM »
for the money, a torque spacer from Moose. will do the trick. or a Gnarly pipe from  FMF, the Vforce3 also adds a bit of bottom as well as boosts power and smooths it through out the entire range.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.