Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Fuel injected two stroke Husky sm 125  (Read 7320 times)

Offline fabbo

• Novice
    • View Profile
Fuel injected two stroke Husky sm 125
« on: May 30, 2010, 12:58:30 AM »
Saw this in Australasian Dirtbike.
They call this a F.I. 125 two stroke they reckon its fantastic and fun, only available in Europe.
The bike is a Husqvarna SM 125 (motard only)
http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/_vti_g5_ver.aspx?IdVer=37&rpstry=167

Looks nice

Fabbo.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel injected two stroke Husky sm 125
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 02:44:25 AM »
Doesn't look fuel injected to me, it's got a float bowl and conventional looking slide

Offline DangisMX

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 02:48:24 AM »
I don't know about this bike, but I recently had the chance to see a new 250 four stroke husqvarna enduro bike with injection as well. I have to say the bike looks good and runs nice, but the wires look really sloppy. Maybe it was just that particular bike, but the wires were really messy and all over the place. I thought I would be really easy to accidentally snap something  :(. Not something one would want on an off-roader.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 03:19:41 AM »
I simply don't know why people are hanging onto this "EFI on 2T engines is just around the corner" nonsense. The Dellorto Euro3 system on the SM125 came out in 08. Now if it is this simple to pass stringent Euro3 emissions targets why am I going to bother with EFI?

EURO 3

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 07:37:48 AM »
The latest BRP FI snowmobiles and outboards produce more power,get better fuel economy and pass the same emissions standards as 4S's, I'll take FI (DI) technology anyday.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 07:53:17 AM »
What you seem to overlook is sleds and outboards have one thing in common. Constant throttle opening. This makes open loop EFI a doddle.Sleds have a CVT which allows a narrow band of rpm but a wide range of operating speeds. Outboards are off or on, like the 50cc Aprilia Orbital scooter.
The ECU will have trouble coping with, off/on part throttle applications not to mention the hot/cold pipe. Not unless there is a massive jump in affordable computing power.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 08:01:09 AM »
My car computes just fine-from a computer about the weight of a coffee and pack of smokes. :)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 09:41:54 AM »
Quite the opposite is true, it is the programmable nature of FI/DI that will be the salvation of the 2S in offroad motorcycle competition - the ability to "soften the hit" and make small,highly tuned 2S's more flexible in their power delivery.

Offline Jaze

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 11:31:15 AM »
That is not FI bike. Just normal carburator husky...
Forget FI 2-strokes, DI motor is future like this http://216.128.13.95/absolutenm/articlefiles/1011-Rotax_600_HO_E-TEC.jpg

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 03:21:39 AM »
What you seem to overlook is sleds and outboards have one thing in common. Constant throttle opening. This makes open loop EFI a doddle.Sleds have a CVT which allows a narrow band of rpm but a wide range of operating speeds. Outboards are off or on, like the 50cc Aprilia Orbital scooter.
The ECU will have trouble coping with, off/on part throttle applications not to mention the hot/cold pipe. Not unless there is a massive jump in affordable computing power.
totally agree. from what i can see ( which isn't much really lol ) you'd have trouble getting fast accurate info to the cpu, what would you use for sensors? oxy sensor? not on a 2t, MAP sensor? don't think that would work either what then some sort of airflow meter na we're not in the 90's lol
A dirt bike is totally different to an outboard or a sled in the way we ask it to deliver it's power.
When you can make a carb or variant of it work so well then i can't see efi or dfi anytime in the near future.
just my 2 cents

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 07:47:58 AM »
It will be interesting to see how Ossa deals with these technical issues in their new 2011 FI TR280.

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 04:00:27 PM »
What is that tube looking thing on the left side of the engine? looks like it ends infront of the reed cage,at first I thought it might be a  cis system till I noticed the fuel line running into the carb. Anyway it looks like it would be fun to ride wheelies on your way to the pub.
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 07:11:54 PM »
It will be interesting to see how Ossa deals with these technical issues in their new 2011 FI TR280.

A quick look at the pipe you will see that (again) this engine does not have a wide operating rpm range.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 08:19:32 PM »
The "proof is in the pudding" as they say, in other words we can only speculate as to the actual performance of the new FI Ossa untill it becomes available. The new Ossa will be FI and more FI 2S's will follow. 

Offline Chokey

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 04:29:28 PM »
totally agree. from what i can see ( which isn't much really lol ) you'd have trouble getting fast accurate info to the cpu, what would you use for sensors? oxy sensor? not on a 2t, MAP sensor? don't think that would work either what then some sort of airflow meter na we're not in the 90's lol
A dirt bike is totally different to an outboard or a sled in the way we ask it to deliver it's power.
When you can make a carb or variant of it work so well then i can't see efi or dfi anytime in the near future.
just my 2 cents
So, FI works just fine with the constant throttle transitions of a four-stroke MX biked (without an O2 sensor), but it for some reason will be completely flummoxed by the constant throttle transitions of a two-stroke MX bike? Please explain why?