Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Pretty sick kx 250 vid.  (Read 5096 times)

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
Pretty sick kx 250 vid.
« on: December 15, 2010, 06:01:30 PM »
DYLAN SLUSSER HIGH POINT MX A KX250 HERO HD HELMET CAM

This movie just reminds me why I'm sick of ppl who race amateur say they cant win on two stroke. Example A. a kx 250 not only beating but lapping 450's in the expert class!

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
Re: Pretty sick kx 250 vid.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 06:52:25 PM »
That was awesome!
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline RM250 Evan

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 06:54:09 PM »
Luv dat sound! :D
2007 RM250......RIP '92 50z, '87 YZ80, '02 RM125, and '06 YZ125

Braaaaappp!!! 2 Strokes 4 Life!!!

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:18:13 PM »
kawasaki are always sick :P

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 12:18:41 AM »
I do actually like the sound of a 250 more than a 125.  Sounds balanced in the way it's trying, whereas the 125 is always revving so high I instinctively start thinking the piston is going to disintegrate (Ferraris do that for me, too).  If I were to go racing I'd probably do so in the 250 class.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 12:39:13 AM »
I race my 125 in the 250 class  :P
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 04:56:53 AM »
If I were to go racing I'd probably do so in the 250 class.

I don't think your 120 would be very competitive... ;D

I didn't read the description and halfway through the first lap I thought: "Man this sure looks like High Point" LOL.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Thats awesome!!! What a beautiful noise, the boy sure showed them four pokers what a real bike can do.......and on hard pack where 4s are supposed to be superior.... Love it.. :D :D :D
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline Flyin vee

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »
That guy was flat out haulin :o
09 KTM 250 sx    Braaaaaap!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 01:14:28 AM »
I don't think your 120 would be very competitive...

Put it in a race with other '60s weaponry and it'd start kicking ass and taking names, though!  That is, until the forks separate from the rest of the motorcycle because of the goofy way Kawasaki decided to mount them... or until the shocks explode...

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 08:06:40 AM »
What an incredible,flowing,natural terrain track. ;D

I'd be curious what the outcome would be if you took that KX250 and a 450F,stuck street tires on them and let them loose on a 1/4 mile dragstrip.

I sold a cherry 1975 KX250 on Ebay years ago,that bike would be a worthy successor to the 120.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 01:35:30 PM »
At a vintage motocross last year we spotted an mid-70s KX125.  Can't remember the year exactly but it was the last rotary-valve 125 they made, which means it would have been the ultimate version of the 120's (and the 100 Green Streak's) motor.  It's a bike I'd like to have, not only because of that, but because it was damn good-looking, too.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Turquine

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 02:02:29 PM »
Excellent vid, Rippa! Jetz, I've always liked rotary valved 2strokes, owned a couple of Kaws that were. I was under the impression that one could get more power out of them than reed valvers. Do you have any idea why manufacturers quit making them in favor of the reed valve design? I've always assumed it was because rotary valve setups were too bulky, but that was just a guess on my part. Seems to me they would easily out perform a reed valved 2strokes. Can-Ams when they used the rotary valves were always far more powerful than equal displacement reed valved machines. Not sure if that would hold true with other makes, for instance, not sure how say the old Kawasaki 350 Bighorn would stack up against say a Yamaha DT 400 of the same year, but I had read the reason Can-Ams were so powerful back then was due to the rotary valved motors. Like to hear your thoughts on this, maybe 2Stroke Institute's as well if he's reading this thread.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 05:48:49 PM »
The Rotary valve Can Am's made a lot of power but the problem was getting the power to the ground,they just wouldn't hook up like other bikes of the era.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 10:25:34 PM »
I wish I knew, I miss the rotary valve.  I think part of the problem might be complexity, because I guess of things aren't all lined up exactly right you can start to get some problems.  Then there's the bulky dimensions as you said, a rotary-valve engine definitely looks "weird" among a field of piston-port and reed-valve engines, and we all know how much appearance determines peoples' preferences for bikes (just read any thread about a 2009 Maico).  But ultimately, I don't know why they died out entirely, I would imagine the rotary would give you great flexibility in tuning to help mold the power curve however you want it.  Cam-Am chose for a balls-out explosion of insanity, but on the other hand my experience with rotary-valve Kawasakis has shown a bounty of power just about everywhere.  In a straight line, my dad's 250 green-streak is just barely barely slower than a 1980 Husky 250, a bike that is 10 years newer and insanely light-weight by comparison (the green streak feels like a Harley when you're loading it in the truck!)

Do you feel lucky, punk?