Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: check these MPS 500's out..  (Read 6367 times)

Offline dogger315

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: check these MPS 500's out..
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 03:31:57 PM »
I agree with you in regards to the CRF450 handling like a tank.  I think some of that is because
of the 20+ lb weight increase over the CR250.  Some of it is due to thumpers steering mostly
with the front wheel instead of the rear like a two stroke, and some of it is due to the linear
power delivery of the four stroke that makes the bike feel less lively (and more boring).

I raced the CR250 until 2004 when I switched to the CRF450, so I had first hand experience with
both powerplants in the gen 3 frame.  IMO, the type of engine had more to do with the difference
in feeling between the two than anything else.

My comment about Honda not noticing the CR500AFs was more to do with Honda making the decision
to abandon the open class two stroke years before the four stroke became their dominant (and now,
only), offering.  I'm sure Honda notices the 500AFs, I guess I should have said they don't care since
two strokes and 500s don't fit in their corporate plans. 

From what I understand, the "CR" restriction has to do with licensing issues.  Only Honda Motor Corp
can build and sell CRs.  Unlike you and I, AJ, as an affiliate with a Honda dealer, could face legal action
for ignoring that.  He had to obtain a waiver from Honda just to assemble 500 engines after the OE supply
ran out. 

None of the manufacturers want their 250Fs racing heads up with 250 two strokes for reasons you and I
know too well.

The suspension changes between the CRF450 and the CR500AF for my weight and ability (180 lbs vet A),
consist of a switch from a 5.4 to a 5.6 shock spring, sticking with the exsisting .435 fork springs, some
valving changes and a longer shock clevis.  The forks and shock are the Pro Circuit "works" Showas right
off of my 2008 CRF450.

That bulge in the ignition cover is to prevent rocks and crap thown up by the front wheel from damaging
the shift lever.  That's what I was told by several members on "banned".  I thought it was there to clear
the clutch actuating arm since the cover is narrower than the stocker.  I powder coated the right side
case cover and the water pump cover for increased durability.  I got the color match when I built a CR250
engine for another project.

By the way, why did you stop doing the conversions?  You do outstanding work, and we need more shops
out there offering services fo the DIYer.

dogger

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 04:03:56 PM »
I got tired of working   :P  I was making good money, but just decided I wanted to do more for myself and less for the mighty dollar.  I am working on my CR125 now. I will do a complete post on it soon, but let's just say it will be dyno'ed and my hopes are very high. It will be run on "A pump fuel," which ironically is illegal in Pro MX.  Isn't it funny how you can run a fuel that is sold for many cars on the road, but can't use it in racing?  I find it laughable.  I have confidence that this bike will be reliable but very fast.  Well it already was pretty fast, I ported the bottom end and topend on the rebuild, but now am redoing some of it for the 144cc kit.
Interesting thing about the shift lever?  I personally would rather my lever bend than my case break?  I have a ton of levers just piling up though, so to me it doesn't seem like a big deal. LOL. But I understand what you are pointing too. :)  But I have been thinking about putting a case saver on it, because I really don't want a rock going through my cases.
My whole point on the CR name brand, is that I remember, I'm thinking, that they originally were called CR500AF's until they got the call from Honda to stop. But I could be wrong.  
Now I will say your bike is looking so sweet. But I took everything I learned on banned and CR500 riders and threw it out the window.  Look outside of the box when you see their opinions.  I saw guys cutting into their frames etc.  I bought mounts that were crap from some guy who took nearly a year to get them to me.  After that build, I went back and changed everything  and was much happier.  I didn't have some stupid wings off the top of my frame like they said etc. My first build did and looked horrible. I cut all into my frame etc too.  Dumb...

Can't wait to see your final bike. I think it is gonna be Sweeeeet!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:09:26 PM by miedosoracing »
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline dogger315

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 09:38:14 AM »
That 125 project sounds good, looking forward to the posts.

Many of the pro rules are ridiculous, the lead ban back in the
late 90s was just one more nail in the coffin for two strokes.

As for the ignition cover bump, who knows why it's really there.
That's why I listed the source of the reason, so you would know
to take it with the obligatory "grain of salt".  Case savers are a
much better solution.  I'm not too concerned about the ignition
side, but I may mount one on the clutch side.  I still have a new
Works Connection case saver complete with weld on mounting
tabs sitting in my garage that I bought back in 2000.

I think you are right about the CR name change, I vaguely remember
that being the case as well.  But I think the issue was forced because
of copyright.  Remember how Honda had a patent in Japan on the front
brake hose routing?  For years, the other manufacturers had less than
stellar brake hose routing (and brake performance) because of that.

dogger

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 12:26:02 PM »
Dogger, updates?
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!