Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Spark arrestors  (Read 5695 times)

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
Spark arrestors
« on: August 05, 2010, 08:05:50 AM »
Who's running one?
Heres a pic of my trike with a trx250r FMF Q silencer:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 09:26:57 AM by factoryX »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Re: Spark arrestors
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 04:25:32 PM »
Not me :)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 09:38:26 PM »
Nah.. too quiet
I'd rather be riding...

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 01:37:53 AM »

Are you happy now, John?

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 12:42:57 PM »
Crikey!! :o
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 01:28:25 PM »
I would like to see that still on your bike for the next ride Jetz. ;)
Video as proof. :D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 03:10:34 PM »
Not gonna happen.  Last time we rode it with that thing on it cracked the pipe.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 06:45:04 PM »
Who's running one?
Heres a pic of my trike with a trx250r FMF Q silencer:

Run a q also myself.Less sound = more ground!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 06:59:47 PM »
Nah.. too quiet

Quiet is a good thing. Loud pipes lose riding areas.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 08:48:20 PM »
Why do loud pipes lose riding areas?  Isn't that mainly because of neighbors complaining?  It makes perfect sense to make this association when you're talking about a track nestled in the middle of suburbia, but I don't see how a riding area 100 miles away from anywhere would be affected by noise.  Yet, I think I have heard of some areas like these being shut down.  Is that because of noise, in that case, or other issues like revenue or lawsuits?  That's not a rhetorical question, by the way, I'm genuinely curious to know what causes riding areas in non-developed areas to close, and whether sound is one of the big issues in those cases.  Regardless, though, I don't think a YZ250 with a Shorty is going to be loud enough to close down anything.  We know what the loud bikes are.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 09:02:01 PM »
We don't all live where you do JETZ. I can't think too many riding areas "100 miles from anywhere" in most places. One place I ride is only 2500 acres and you can't see houses or anything from the trails. Yet the club gets many complaints about noise and have almost lost their lease a couple times due to noise complaints from neighbors. I remember two tracks that were closed down here for noise in the 1990's, before the 4-stroke boom.

Loud bikes are NOT faster, they just annoy non-riders. And many non-riders consider the two stroke braap to be more offensive than the 4-stroke boom. When I bought my nephew a TTR125 in February it had a full FMF PowerCore exhaust and was LOUD (seriously loud). After 2 months we traded it for his CR80 and we have gotten three complaints from neighbors about his CR being too loud. Yet the not one complaint when he had the TTR, which was truthfully at least twice as loud if not more so.

- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 10:00:19 PM »
We don't all live where you do JETZ. I can't think too many riding areas "100 miles from anywhere" in most places. One place I ride is only 2500 acres and you can't see houses or anything from the trails. Yet the club gets many complaints about noise and have almost lost their lease a couple times due to noise complaints from neighbors. I remember two tracks that were closed down here for noise in the 1990's, before the 4-stroke boom.

Loud bikes are NOT faster, they just annoy non-riders. And many non-riders consider the two stroke braap to be more offensive than the 4-stroke boom. When I bought my nephew a TTR125 in February it had a full FMF PowerCore exhaust and was LOUD (seriously loud). After 2 months we traded it for his CR80 and we have gotten three complaints from neighbors about his CR being too loud. Yet the not one complaint when he had the TTR, which was truthfully at least twice as loud if not more so.

I have come across the same thing in regards to 2 stroke noise v 4 stroke.
I always find it baffling when people say 2 strokes are loud. ???
When i had the RM a mate was telling his son and the son said, Oh one of those loud bikes. ::) He was 10

You should know by now not to try and argue with jetz.
Its like argueing with your wife.
No good will ever come out of it. :P
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 10:01:18 PM »
This is true, in the Pittsburgh area there are patches of public / private land, lots of it, between developments and suburbs.  Like the South park dumps, even where I rode Trax Farms.  I used to ride a coal path that went from Library to Peters (the old Montour rail, which is now an offical walking path) and it was right behind houses and under overpasses.  

Truthfully, Jetz is right out here the riding areas are in the boon docks, if anyone lives out there they are like the people in "The Hills Have Eyes".  

They don't really enforce the sound in the woods as much as I heard they do out in the Dunes areas.  But still, the woods are shared with Bicyclers, Hikers and Campers so even if no one is living there you have some one taking a video of an eagle taking a crap on a deer on a hiking trail it may be interrupted with the sound of 2 stroke and he may complain.  So even out here there is a chance, even though slim, because if your bike is louder than 99db and they check they can give you a ticket.  

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 10:04:56 PM »
I don't think a YZ250 with a Shorty is going to be loud enough to close down anything.

Last year we were out riding, my friend on his 1981 YZ250, 2006 YZ250F and another guy on a 2001 CR500 with me.  The guyon the '81 fell and instead of waiting there, him and the guy on the YZ250F left.  Well, they both got lost.

Once we realized they were gone we went looking all over for them.  I couldn't find them anywhere.  Then we went back up to where one of the trails began and turned off our bikes.  I heard the YZ250!  It's got a unquie sound and that bike is LOUD.  Infact, he was over the mountain and in an area we never ride into since there aren't any trail.  But I heard him!  We followed the sound and found them! 

So that bike is quite loud.

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 10:14:17 PM »
Nah.. too quiet

Quiet is a good thing. Loud pipes lose riding areas.

Well, here, it's not an issue of loudness, as we ride basically right in town, there is bush all over, like, who is going to stop us from riding? No police officer is going to ride their car off road like it's the dukes of hazzard... But, I do agree, loud does not make a bike more powerful, but, there are a lot of bears around where I live(the other day I saw 4 bear cubs in one day) and so a loud bike is good. Although, my bike is particularly loud, it has an r304 silencer, and i need to get it repacked, but no matter how hard I try, I can not get it apart to repack it, I have the repacking material, but, can't get it open. Anyone have any ideas?
I'd rather be riding...