Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Cedric has a ride in the AMA Supercross  (Read 10708 times)

Offline scottydog

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Cedric has a ride in the AMA Supercross
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2010, 10:46:37 AM »
So how far off is the first race? and how much testing will he get in?
whats the goss....

also wonder if KTM will just sit on there hands on this? but I guess it still works in there favour as it's all about 2 vs 4 and they sell em.

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2010, 11:53:33 AM »
The funny thing is that the promoter's and certain people in the AMA hate this. In fact, I'll be there are some who wish they could bend the rules and keep this guy out :D. Expecially, if he makes the main. All the magazines (MXA, RacerX) and everyone who is scared of the factories will be in a tough spot, since everyone is bonkers to see how Cedric does. If the magazines were smart, they would get an interview with him and David Vuillemin right away. I love it!

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2010, 01:37:57 PM »
Burn,

Can you please explain the workings of what makes the Promoters and others in the industry hate this?

I'm very curious about this because I'm not familiar enough with all these people's stake in Foopercross to know why they'd be threatened by this. I thought a promoter would want as many interested fans as possible, so they would like this spike in interest.

It's obvious that these people are all playing some kind of subversive game, but it's really hard to figure out by following the money. I would really appreciate your insight.

Thanks,

Jim
I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2010, 07:22:42 PM »
Please guys help The thread on Vital to go as a sticky!!!! DC and Guy B are obviously not into the idea hahahaahahah
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile

Offline cmiller493

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2010, 08:30:22 PM »
Thanks for the video 2smoker!

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2010, 09:03:51 AM »
Cédric will be number 986 in the US...!

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2010, 10:10:04 PM »
I cant wait to see him racing sx this year. He will most definatly qualify for atleast a couple if he can ride that YZ as good as the KTM.
2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2010, 05:51:33 AM »
"Burn,

Can you please explain the workings of what makes the Promoters and others in the industry hate this?

I'm very curious about this because I'm not familiar enough with all these people's stake in Foopercross to know why they'd be threatened by this. I thought a promoter would want as many interested fans as possible, so they would like this spike in interest.

It's obvious that these people are all playing some kind of subversive game, but it's really hard to figure out by following the money. I would really appreciate your insight..."

I guess I'm trying to use other words rather than say Davey Coombs and his spear headed effort to eradicate the 2-stroke, as well as his influence on the SX promoters. From all his comments and actions, he has shown to be 100% anti 2-stroke, in all forms and fashion. He has made it very clear that he wants 4-strokes in every class in MX and SX, and has tangible animosity towards anyone not on board with this thinking (a brave new world without 2-strokes). I also feel that most of the MX magazines, such as MXA, Dirt Bike, of course RacerX, and TransworldMX have been swayed by this anti 2-stroke propoganda. Even though some of them will publish something here and there about 2-strokes, they will follow it up by "...This bike will never see the light of day in the USA (and as a spinoff from the Ancillotti Bicycle line it will probably not be very successful in Italy)." - from the MXA article on the Ancillotti 125.

So, how awesome it will be to see the one thing that all these industry croneys hate - a hero on a 2-stroke! I think it will be a riot to see Cedric successful in SX despite DC's efforts to squash the 2-stroke, and bring all his friends at the Big4 an MX and SX series free and void of any form of 2-stroke resistance. It's sort of like Star Wars. :D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 06:12:18 AM by burn1986 »

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2011, 10:23:25 AM »
Jim, you just asked the right question!!

The truth is that from my perspective at the Pro Nationals, there were so many people that were 100% behind the idea of a two-stroke qualifying for the Nationals. This came from AMA folks, industry people and the folks at the magazines.

While they would say it to us, they have to walk a fine line. The major manufacturers provide a huge share of the cash to the promotion of the Outdoor National events. No one wants to go against their wishes and stand up for something that could very well put them all out of work if it should backfire.

I'm not sure how many of you in the same position could or would be able to walk away from a salary just because of your beliefs?? When you see it in this light, you understand where these folks are coming from.

Just remember, there was not one person that walked up to us and told us the two-stroke was dead. Virtually everyone that spoke to any one of us, wanted to see us succeed.

With Cedirc as the racer and support from DV12 and Moto Concepts... we have all the right ingredients. It will be a very interesting few races!!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Shawn36

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2011, 05:54:19 PM »
"Burn,

It's obvious that these people are all playing some kind of subversive game, but it's really hard to figure out by following the money. I would really appreciate your insight..."

I guess I'm trying to use other words rather than say Davey Coombs and his spear headed effort to eradicate the 2-stroke, as well as his influence on the SX promoters. From all his comments and actions, he has shown to be 100% anti 2-stroke, in all forms and fashion. He has made it very clear that he wants 4-strokes in every class in MX and SX, and has tangible animosity towards anyone not on board with this thinking (a brave new world without 2-strokes). I also feel that most of the MX magazines, such as MXA, Dirt Bike, of course RacerX, and TransworldMX have been swayed by this anti 2-stroke propoganda. Even though some of them will publish something here and there about 2-strokes, they will follow it up by "...This bike will never see the light of day in the USA (and as a spinoff from the Ancillotti Bicycle line it will probably not be very successful in Italy)." - from the MXA article on the Ancillotti 125.

So, how awesome it will be to see the one thing that all these industry croneys hate - a hero on a 2-stroke! I think it will be a riot to see Cedric successful in SX despite DC's efforts to squash the 2-stroke, and bring all his friends at the Big4 an MX and SX series free and void of any form of 2-stroke resistance. It's sort of like Star Wars. :D

That's super slanted and incredibly wrong.  The series that Coombs has direct control over are the ONLY nationally sanctioned amateur events where 250 2-strokes are allowed to line up against 250 4-strokes, specifically Loretta Lynns.  He has the Schoolboy 1 class dedicated specifically to 125s, no 4-strokes allowed.  Does that sound like a guy who's anti 2-stroke?  He was the one who first brought up the idea of doing it at the pro level, and pushed it hard.  He met heavy resistance from the people who matter, the OEMs.  The only OEM who is actually putting development work into 2-strokes is KTM.  Yamaha is simply releasing the same bike year after year since really 2005, the others don't even manufacture them anymore.  So if the OEMs drive the sport and salaries at the pro level why would they won't 2-strokes out there?  And this isn't to say out there period, this is strictly to do with even CC racing ala 250 vs 250.  The AMA is the body that dropped the ball when it came to 4-stroke vs 2-stroke.  They are the ones who allowed the double displacement rule to stay even after the Yamaha 400/426 and the 250F. 

As for Cedric.. I like the idea but he's got a LOT of big hurtles to clear.  First of all he has almost zero experience on a Yamaha, and he will have just a few days to adjust to his race bike.  He has done well in Europe, but those are tight stadiums that bear a far closer resemblance to Arenacross than AMA SuperX.  I wish him luck and look forward to seeing it, but I dunno.. I'd have to say he'll have trouble making the mains. 

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2011, 08:23:27 PM »
"Burn,

That's super slanted and incredibly wrong.  The series that Coombs has direct control over are the ONLY nationally sanctioned amateur events where 250 2-strokes are allowed to line up against 250 4-strokes, specifically Loretta Lynns.  He has the Schoolboy 1 class dedicated specifically to 125s, no 4-strokes allowed.  Does that sound like a guy who's anti 2-stroke?  He was the one who first brought up the idea of doing it at the pro level, and pushed it hard.  He met heavy resistance from the people who matter, the OEMs.  The only OEM who is actually putting development work into 2-strokes is KTM.  Yamaha is simply releasing the same bike year after year since really 2005, the others don't even manufacture them anymore.  So if the OEMs drive the sport and salaries at the pro level why would they won't 2-strokes out there?  And this isn't to say out there period, this is strictly to do with even CC racing ala 250 vs 250.  The AMA is the body that dropped the ball when it came to 4-stroke vs 2-stroke.  They are the ones who allowed the double displacement rule to stay even after the Yamaha 400/426 and the 250F.  

As for Cedric.. I like the idea but he's got a LOT of big hurtles to clear.  First of all he has almost zero experience on a Yamaha, and he will have just a few days to adjust to his race bike.  He has done well in Europe, but those are tight stadiums that bear a far closer resemblance to Arenacross than AMA SuperX.  I wish him luck and look forward to seeing it, but I dunno.. I'd have to say he'll have trouble making the mains.  

Cédric been racing Yamaha 2 stroke for years before KTM... The Yami never changed since then lol! AMA is just a big fail as an leading organization, they proved it with their road racing series! The OEM can continue to be stubborn ..just gonna give a chance to others oems to grow like Tm, Husky, KTM ,Gas Gas, Maico and opportunity to others to start a new racing organization.. The sport can live without Japan and the AMA.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 08:43:23 PM by 2smoker »

Offline Shawn36

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2011, 10:25:37 PM »
"Burn,

That's super slanted and incredibly wrong.  The series that Coombs has direct control over are the ONLY nationally sanctioned amateur events where 250 2-strokes are allowed to line up against 250 4-strokes, specifically Loretta Lynns.  He has the Schoolboy 1 class dedicated specifically to 125s, no 4-strokes allowed.  Does that sound like a guy who's anti 2-stroke?  He was the one who first brought up the idea of doing it at the pro level, and pushed it hard.  He met heavy resistance from the people who matter, the OEMs.  The only OEM who is actually putting development work into 2-strokes is KTM.  Yamaha is simply releasing the same bike year after year since really 2005, the others don't even manufacture them anymore.  So if the OEMs drive the sport and salaries at the pro level why would they won't 2-strokes out there?  And this isn't to say out there period, this is strictly to do with even CC racing ala 250 vs 250.  The AMA is the body that dropped the ball when it came to 4-stroke vs 2-stroke.  They are the ones who allowed the double displacement rule to stay even after the Yamaha 400/426 and the 250F.  

As for Cedric.. I like the idea but he's got a LOT of big hurtles to clear.  First of all he has almost zero experience on a Yamaha, and he will have just a few days to adjust to his race bike.  He has done well in Europe, but those are tight stadiums that bear a far closer resemblance to Arenacross than AMA SuperX.  I wish him luck and look forward to seeing it, but I dunno.. I'd have to say he'll have trouble making the mains.  

Cédric been racing Yamaha 2 stroke for years before KTM... The Yami never changed since then lol! AMA is just a big fail as an leading organization, they proved it with their road racing series! The OEM can continue to be stubborn ..just gonna give a chance to others oems to grow like Tm, Husky, KTM ,Gas Gas, Maico and opportunity to others to start a new racing organization.. The sport can live without Japan and the AMA.

Not knowing his past beyond the previous races this year it's good to hear he has experience on the bike, but it's still a disadvantage to come from a long time on the KTM over to a Yami and race in so short a turnaround. 

And yes I agree, AMA has dropped the ball over and over again.  From the fuel testing issues, killing off of an entire breed of bike, to even the punishments they hand out all seem like a bad joke.  But right now I hesitate to agree any kind of break-off series would be the right direction.  Eventually the scale has to shift back the other way toward cost-effective technology over EFI and overhead cams or OEMs will simply have to quit making MX bikes.  The current model is broken, and given time I think things will readjust, even the AMA.