Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Maintenance adventures of Shadow and his futile battle against the cursed KX  (Read 6268 times)

Offline Shadow

• Junior
    • View Profile
It seems this technical section will be my favorite one, and in order to not clutter it up with a dozen different threads, I'll keep my dumb questions regarding bike maintenance and repair constrained into this one thread.

So, I've got two bikes, '01 or '02 kx125 and '01 or '02 kx250 which are definitely cursed and work at purely random intervals.

Not entirely sure on the exact model year as apparently both bikes have a VIN that should not exist. 10th digit on them both points them to be a year '90 but that's simply impossible.

The '99-'02 service manual's procedures for L3 and L4 models (ie '01 or '02) are the ones to follow with both these bikes but it doesn't differentiate more accurately which one they might be.

First issue comes with the 250.

I just got the bike back together after taking it mostly apart but now the idle speed is way higher than it ever should be. It's not screaming with full throttle, more in the low-mid range, and adjusting the idle screw has no effect on the rpms.
This is definitely because of something I did or did not do while putting the bike back together, but any suggestions of what might be wrong are welcome so once I start taking things apart, I might have some idea what to look for.

Another thing, told you they're cursed, I noticed that when the bike is on its side, it leaks transmission oil from where the clutch attaches to the motor(see pic). Not a lot, and only when it's laid on its side, but still I'd like to fix that. Now, how severe is this and will it require splitting the engine case, or is there some smart way to go about fixing it?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
1st question.If you are absolutely certain the carb slide is bottoming and there are no others glitches in that area, start looking for an air leak. With the bike idling, start spraying carb cleaner around the base gasket area and reed cage to check for leaks.Examine your magneto side crankcase seal to make sure it isn't at fault.

2nd question.Remove your clutch cover and clutch pressure plate.Pull your clutch pull rod out slighty and keep track of the clutch rod ball bearing if Kawasaki uses one there.You should now be able to pull out the clutch activator arm, seal and shaft.Pop a new seal on and you are good to go. ;D

Offline msmola2002

• Expert
    • View Profile
To confirm the year, the fork diameter should tell you.

the 02s ran a 48mm fork vs the 99-01s with a 46.

That being said my 02 is currently running the 46mm forks off my 99... So if the bike is a bitza that may not help.

Also the footpegs were different on the 02,

99-01

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
+1 on the carb slide. Sounds like it is not going all the way down.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline Shadow

• Junior
    • View Profile
Finally had time to take a look at the issue.

Surprisingly easy, had I noticed it earlier I wouldn't have had to remove the carb. The plastic wire cover wasn't seated properly on the throttle side and caused the slide to not go completely down.

Thanks for the footpeg pics msmola. It seems I have an '01 kx250 instead of '02.

Offline Shadow

• Junior
    • View Profile
Jetting issues..

With both bikes too.   ::)

First the 125.

Current settings:
Main jet #360
pilot jet #35
Needle 2nd clip from top
Spark plug was a 9 if I recall correctly

Works fine on the track in high rpms, but low to mid rpm range throttle response isn't too crisp, also will foul a plug if not ridden wfo most of the riding time. Rode an 4-5km long enduro trail just two times and it fouled a plug.

And the 250.

Current settings:
main jet #160
pilot jet #52
Needle clip 3rd pos from top
spark plug 9, I think. Will need to check.

Works fine on mid to high rpms but lacks a bit of response on low rpms. Also, my current riding skills don't allow riding the bike in high rpms as it should be and it's starting to foul a plug + losing throttle response even more on the low rpms.

Track I ride at the most is a deep, soft sandy track at about 70 meters from sea level. What's really bad about the track, is that it kicks up a lot of dust that clogs up the air filter in no time making the bikes behave even more like they're too rich.
Using Shell's castor based 2-stroke oil with 1:25 ratio and 98 octane gas.

What would you guys recommend to change on the bikes for fixing the issues?

Offline Swimr2DaResQ

• Expert
  • Awww Yeaah!!!
    • View Profile
I have an '01 KX250 and i am running the recommended jetting settings as per FMF and it works great with the SST pipe. I ride anywhere from sea level to about 2500 ft.
I also use maxima castor oil at 32:1, I wouldn't run a richer oil mixure, these bikes were designed for 32:1 and you could go to 40:1 without risking a lack of lubrication.
If you are running an FMF pipe I would check their site for the specs. The spark plug is also wrong, stock plug is a NGK BR8EIX, the 9's willl work but they run cooler and again it was designed for the 8's. I used to foul a lot of plugs till i got my jetting figured out. Also the Iridium plugs don't seem to last very long, I now use the NGK BR8EG's, they hold up well and deliver comparable performance to the Iridium's. The BR8ES is a decent plug for tuning and getting your jetting issues worked out as it is the cheapest of the 8 series plugs, but they don't hold up as well as the EG's and will not perform as well either. The number designation on the plug is very important as it indicates how hot it runs, the lower the number the hotter it runs and the higher the number the cooler it runs. 
My main jet is a 158 currently and the pilot is the same, needle position is also the same and I don't remember the airscrew at the moment but it is no more than 1-3/4 turns out.
I hope this helps, I've been there too, but once you get it figured out it is a night and day difference!
"Technology frightens me to death. It's designed by engineers to impress other engineers, and they always come with instruction booklets that are written by engineers for other engineers - which is why almost no technology ever works."

Offline Shadow

• Junior
    • View Profile
Started thinking about that 125.. As it gives off that Booooaaaa sound when giving it gas on the low rpms, which means it's too lean, yet it still fouls plugs in the low rpms, could it be because of too small pilot jet and too much oil in the gas?

I mean, right now it has #35 pilot jet, and the oil:gas ratio I've been using has ranged from 1:32 to 1:25. So, because of the small pilot jet, it's too lean (ie, not enough gas in the fuel/air mixture) when opening throttle from the low rpms, and because there's so much oil and not enough gas, it doesn't burn properly and the cylinder/spark plug keeps getting washed over and over with unburnt fuel/oil mixture.

Could this be the reason why it doesn't work properly, or am I waay off base here?

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
I am running the same jetting in my wifes rm 125, different bike I know but I don't have any problem with her fouling plugs and she is very beginner level. The bike doesn't stay on the pipe when she shifts gears. I am running silkolene at 40:1 with 98 octane fuel

Offline Shadow

• Junior
    • View Profile
And the curse strikes once again!

Stripped the threads from the gearbox oil change hole on my 250.
Went so bad that a plain thread tool is not enough to fix the threads. Is there any other option I could try before removing the engine and drilling the hole to the next thread size?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
Helicoil?

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline Shadow

• Junior
    • View Profile
Heh, goes to show how little trouble I've had with stripped threads 'cause I didn't even know there was thread inserts like that.
Worth a shot I guess. Thanks!

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile

Offline Shadow

• Junior
    • View Profile
Just my luck. Everything went fine until I snapped that little end bit off from the helicoil insert. Damn thing dropped into the gearbox.
Any good ideas how to get it out without removing the engine or splitting the cases? Tried flushing it out with transmission oil but that worked only on the aluminum shavings.
I can't just leave the bloody thing in there, can I?

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
Tried probing a magnet up in there? And NO, you can't leave that in there.

Just my luck. Everything went fine until I snapped that little end bit off from the helicoil insert. Damn thing dropped into the gearbox.
Any good ideas how to get it out without removing the engine or splitting the cases? Tried flushing it out with transmission oil but that worked only on the aluminum shavings.
I can't just leave the bloody thing in there, can I?
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)