Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Needs some help to prevent repeating a painful mistake  (Read 2370 times)

Offline charlieofak

• Novice
    • View Profile
Needs some help to prevent repeating a painful mistake
« on: February 20, 2012, 06:49:05 PM »
I'm four weeks into healing my leg and heel after a painful wipe out. My back wheel was kicked out sideways on take off from a rutted faced table top, at Pala Raceway vet track. I have ridden out more mild swaps in the past, but this time as I landed (kicked to the right) I immediately swapped left and was thrown down hard. I'm wondering if this can be corrected in the air and or is there a way to keep from swapping back (this is when it all goes bad) when you land? I am still a couple weeks from riding, but really would like to avoid this happening again. I am also very leary of trying to learn to whip, as my experiences landing sideways, have always been at least very scary if not ending up on the ground in pain.

Any experienced advice would be much appreciated. Thx.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:05:11 PM »
Quick fix, hit the brakes before any of these modern, silly jumps.  :o
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Recovered

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
when you take off from a jump sideways even if there is no rut or kicker there you need to straighten your bike up in the air before landing you land sideways it's like hitting a brick wall because your body momemtum is basically going straight but the bike isn't therfore your going to be spit off   

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 07:39:13 AM »
The trick is really knowing how your bike is going to react, and really muscling it around. I was just practicing my whips yesterday and cased the 55ft table I was using, almost had a bad swap but I muscled it back in...
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 07:51:13 AM »
In this clip I did case the jump, it's hard to see. I did not land sideways (completely) but my momentum was moving to the side which institutes a similar concept.

However if you are too far sideways upon landing... It's too late!
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline charlieofak

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 07:16:59 PM »
 Thanks for the reply's guy's I appreciate your input. Ouch! I know how that feels. Video number two is a good example of what I am trying to avoid repeating, it's the swap back the opposite way after landing that sends you to the ground. I did read somewhere in an instruction on how to whip, that you need to be "parallel to your bike" if you land sideways, but I'm not really sure what that is suppose to mean, other than being straight on your bike (hips/shoulders square to bike) I guess and I don't know if that will save you if your very far kicked sideways.