Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Restore my bike or get a newer one?  (Read 4667 times)

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
Restore my bike or get a newer one?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 08:02:45 PM »
Can't comment on the yz because I have never ridden a pre 06 model but I do know I love my ktm. I went from an 07 rm 250 which is renowned for it's handling and I rate the ktm chassis above the rm. I think ktm gets a bad rap on its handling but that comes down to usually soft suspension. Also they rode a ktm in 2003 and base their opinion on that, not taking into account ktm 's regular improvements. The right springs and possibly a revalve and you will be happy. Throw in brembo brakes, hydraulic clutch and a strong motor and the ktm is a very good bike. Also have you considered a 150? Feels like a 125 with a factory motor.

2013 is the year that KTM started specing their two strokes with American spec spring rates. Before that it was all euro style: Soft in the front and stiff in the rear. So testers who use stock and stock only will typically bo it out. Of course they will. Soft in the front and stiff in the rear means diving (especially with that brembo and 260 mm  :o) and all sorts of handling issues.

I had on 03 sx 125 which did everything that the magazines complain about. However the 08 200exc I had after it was the single best handling bike I've ever had the pleasure of owning and it was about as reliable as a tank. The exc also felt to have a lot more adjustment than any motocross bike I had ever had, didn't really notice any problems from the forks being too soft but the bike was second hand so maybe the previous owner had already dealt with that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 08:43:40 PM »
Can't comment on the yz because I have never ridden a pre 06 model but I do know I love my ktm. I went from an 07 rm 250 which is renowned for it's handling and I rate the ktm chassis above the rm. I think ktm gets a bad rap on its handling but that comes down to usually soft suspension. Also they rode a ktm in 2003 and base their opinion on that, not taking into account ktm 's regular improvements. The right springs and possibly a revalve and you will be happy. Throw in brembo brakes, hydraulic clutch and a strong motor and the ktm is a very good bike. Also have you considered a 150? Feels like a 125 with a factory motor.

2013 is the year that KTM started specing their two strokes with American spec spring rates. Before that it was all euro style: Soft in the front and stiff in the rear. So testers who use stock and stock only will typically bo it out. Of course they will. Soft in the front and stiff in the rear means diving (especially with that brembo and 260 mm  :o) and all sorts of handling issues.

When I first got my ktm I had issues with the front end being too soft. Sent it to my mechanic with some heavier springs, it came back with a full revalveand they are pretty damn good. All I have done in the rear is played with some clickers and I am pretty happy with it, it does kick around on braking bumps so I need to take some rebound out but it's pretty close

Thats lucky that the rear spring rate was good for you. How heavy are you when geared up?
I am about 85 kg geared up, right on the edge of needing a heavier spring but the sag all comes in ok and its only on big over jumps that I bottom out. Ktm say the standard spring should work for people between 75 and 85 kg

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 01:24:50 AM »
Speaking of sag, how did you fair with the nylon preload ring? :D

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 08:31:59 AM »
To be honest it isn't that bad. Once your sag is set that's it, unless you are an on again off again dieteryou really only set it once. I can see where mxa has a problem with it cos they have to adjust it for each test rider but I geared up, set it and forgot about it. You definitely wouldn't want to adjust it too many times tho

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 09:34:43 AM »
Yeah I had it figured that MXA would chew through it because of all those test riders. But I still can't work out why in the name of christ you would use a plastic preload ring it just makes no sense.

Offline nom de guerre

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 03:07:51 PM »
I really like the plastic pre-load ring, very essy to use.... Same as the 1/4 turn gas cap. You gotta remember that sometimes it is the operators who have issue...

Logan- if you keep your '01, don't go crazy trying to make it new. Keep the important components fresh and a new(er) bike will eventually come your way with time and work.