Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Clutch cover gaskets  (Read 6011 times)

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
Clutch cover gaskets
« on: July 05, 2012, 11:39:29 PM »
I'm so tired of seeing little drips of trans fluid on the garage floor under my bike. I just ordered two new gaskets (Clutch cover and the one behind it). I will grease these or silicone spray them before I install them, but is there anything else I can do to ensure these wont leak? It's driving me crazy. I have checked the metal itself for gouges or anything else that would cause it to leak, but nothing is there. I have also made sure that all old gasket material is gone before installing the new gaskets last time I did this. I reeeaaally don't want to see any more fluid under my bike  :(
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
Clutch cover gaskets
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 12:11:05 AM »
You may be over tightening the bolts to the cover. 9ft lbs is only just snug. if it is a Boyesen cover I have heard complaints about these covers leaking. what year is your yz?

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
Clutch cover gaskets
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:16:50 AM »
My YZ is a '92. I think it is the stock cover (I painted it to match the frame) and it says Yamaha on it. I may be over tightening the bolts then... I usually just tighten them up with a 3/8ths drive wratchet, which I'm assuming is way over 9ft lbs. I will get a hold of a torque wrench and tighten them accordingly.

On a side note, I finally got my cylinder head planed to stop coolant from leaking into the engine, and I was able to slow down the idle to a nice slow but solid idle. But it sounds like there is something rattling around that sounds bad. Maybe it's just what a two stroke sounds at a low idle, but the crank bearings are good as far as I can tell, and the noise goes away when I rev it, either I can't hear it anymore or it goes away. I have looked up videos of other YZ's idling low, but I can't tell if its the same noise or not. Anyone have an idea?

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
Clutch cover gaskets
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 02:59:21 AM »
I pulled the plug and kicked the engine over, I didn't hear anything that would cause alarm, so I guess everything is fine.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Clutch cover gaskets
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 08:43:07 AM »
If the cover has been overtightened before you might find the points where the bolts go through are proud.
1 way to machine/file them flat is to use a large flat piece of glass with some 400 grit wet & dry sand paper on it.
I use a 20mm thick piece of glass which is flat and spray the sand paper with crc/wd40.
Hold the clutch cover down and move in a circular motion untill high spots are gone.
Don't use any sealant on the gaskets either.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
Clutch cover gaskets
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 12:21:21 PM »
1992, cool. I had a 1990 for a while I loved that bike. Are you going to race it at Central village at the ACR event July 28?

Offline arnego2

• View Profile
Clutch cover gaskets
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 01:50:45 PM »
I buy gasket paper, thickness about .5mm and do those gasket myself. I think they are suppossedly one time usage anyway. 

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
Clutch cover gaskets
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 02:05:49 PM »
Are you going to race it at Central village at the ACR event July 28?
I have been racing it at Rocky Hill for this season, I don't have a membership with Central, so I can't practice there except for race days. But, I do plan on racing there once or twice this season, and maybe on the 28th, depnding on work  :-X 

And I will take it off today and check for high points. What about the cover that goes over the kick starter assembly and water pump? Should I also check that for high points?

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
Clutch cover gaskets
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 03:17:24 PM »
well good luck with everything.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
Clutch cover gaskets
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 04:53:35 PM »
Thanks man  :D

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
Clutch cover gaskets
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 02:28:00 AM »
I had a week or so until my kick starter came in, so I figured I would do everything at once. I took the covers off and took a razor blade to remove every possible piece of old gasket and all other crap. Then I took some 1,000 grit sand paper and ran it around all the edges on a piece of glass and got the metal perfectly smooth. I installed both gaskets today. But,

Does an O ring belong on the drain plug??? I would really like to know tonight so I can put the trans fluid in and let it sit and see if it leaks still, which I really hope it doesn't.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Clutch cover gaskets
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 07:59:47 AM »
No not normaly.
There should be an Aluminium or fibre washer tho.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
Clutch cover gaskets
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 04:06:26 PM »
Hm... there is no washer. Would steal work? I have no aluminum washers currently.

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
Clutch cover gaskets
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 08:36:19 PM »
Steel wouldn't be any better than no gasket, you need something with a little squish to it, make one out of a plastic milk jug.
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Clutch cover gaskets
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »

1 way to machine/file them flat is to use a large flat piece of glass with some 400 grit wet & dry sand paper on it.
I use a 20mm thick piece of glass which is flat and spray the sand paper with crc/wd40.
Hold the clutch cover down and move in a circular motion untill high spots are gone.

My advice with regards to this method.Never,ever tape a sheet of sandpaper  the  living room window  of your new house to resurface your RZ head while slurping Captain Morgan's finest and cranking GNR on the stereo loud enough that you don't hear your wife come home.
See also "why you should never cure the paint on the swingarm of the same RZ in the new stove of your new house"  :'(
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.