Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Lithium Ion Batteries?Are They Really Better?  (Read 2383 times)

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
Lithium Ion Batteries?Are They Really Better?
« on: February 21, 2012, 09:49:59 PM »
 I just recently purchased a lithium ion battery for my '11' ktm-300 @ my local Yamaha/Suzuki shop for $140.00. It is a lot lighter than the stock lead battery however just the other day I put my battery tender on the new battery until it was fully charged & I pressed the e-start & the bike did not start!

The battery I purchased was in a box that had 'Ballistic Performance components'.The outside of the box said "made in U.S.A but when I opened the box a paper inside had 'Yuasa' & the battery type was YT7B-BS Evo2??? The only thing better about this battery is it is a lot lighter than the stocker but if it's going to leave me stuck up on some distant mountain top than I'll use the lead acid battery!

If anyone on this great website knows anything about this type of battery please give me a little info about it & if it's worth what I paid for it!? Also I read in dirt***** magazine that running the bike won't charge a lithium ion battery? I can't believe that because I rode just 2 days ago & I shut the ktm off on the ride to take a quick break & when I pressed the e-start the katoom fired right up!........... :-
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:11:11 PM »
I've been using this one
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/4S1P-13-2V2300mah-A123-original-Battery-RC-hobby-/200660241104?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item2eb8484ad0#ht_2973wt_1165

In my KLX 250

and this one
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200538709020?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2011wt_1165

in my Swift GT with 12-1 compression for the last year without issue.

Don't use a tender on it. It doesn't need it, and may (or may not, I'm not 100% sure) damage it.

My car sat for the last 2 months in winter storage, and it fired up last weekend like I had been driving it all along.
Ontario, Canada

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 10:34:49 PM »
I've never had one on a bike but if it didn't charge while riding,it would go dead in short order.Do you have a multimeter?If so,ck the battery voltage across the terminals.If not,put a test light on it or any 12v bulb and a couple pieces of wire.If it lights brightly,you should at least get a click out of your starter,if not,you likely have another issue.I'd ck the starter fuse first,it's pretty common to blow them,I blew a couple on my berg-just because it seemed.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 11:17:13 PM »
Those battries have internal protection. If they are shorted, even for a fraction of a second, the protection will blow and renders them useless.
Ontario, Canada

Offline 2STROKEREVOLUTION

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 09:44:32 PM »
Lithium Ion batteries, like you said, are much lighter. BUT they do not last as long as lead acid, and won't for some time. This is information Yuasa. Yuasa is a US company and makes batteries in USA. They are the LARGEST rec battery manufactury, they supply OEM batteries for Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM, Ducati, Triumph, BMW, etc.

What you are describing sounds like a different issue though. I would contact them about the issue. The Yuasa YT7B-BS is a lead acid battery from street bikes.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:24:25 AM »
Lithium Ion batteries, like you said, are much lighter. BUT they do not last as long as lead acid, and won't for some time. This is information Yuasa. Yuasa is a US company and makes batteries in USA. They are the LARGEST rec battery manufactury, they supply OEM batteries for Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM, Ducati, Triumph, BMW, etc.

What you are describing sounds like a different issue though. I would contact them about the issue. The Yuasa YT7B-BS is a lead acid battery from street bikes.
That's interesting concerning the Yuasa battery? On the side of the box the part #2113-0259 below that it has BPC EVO2-LiFeP04 Battery & on the price sticker next to Description:it has-Battery LI-ION 8 Cell.
 The retail price is $159.95.I paid a even $140.00 for the battery.The local shop I bought the battery from told me I could return it if it did'nt workout.I'm leaning towards fords explanation or else my starter is broke... :-