Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: What do you guys think about Steel vs Aluminum frames?  (Read 6425 times)

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
What do you guys think about Steel vs Aluminum frames?
« on: March 15, 2010, 08:38:28 PM »
Hey Guys,

Over on the Vital MX forum where John and Dr. Sweden are discussing some things, I saw his most recent post where he seemed to feel that KTM may be remiss in not using aluminum for it's frames. I wanted to write to him when I saw that because I've been thanking god that not everyone uses aluminum yet. It has bad fatigue traits that are well known to engineers and really quite alarming. I tried to do my best to explain my point of view about it to Dr Sweden in the post below.

I'm curious about what you guys think of aluminum and steel frames.

Thanks,

Jim

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Dr. Sweden,

Don't be uneasy about a steel/chromoly frame. KTM is the last manufacturer offering you a frame that you will be able to count on for the long haul as long as you take care of it... There has been a lot of discussion about how the modern 4 stroke engines, which must run quite close to their failure thresholds in order to perform acceptably, are like time bombs. How much time is on the clock before the engine goes to pot depends on many variables, but inevitably in the end, damage and wear resulting from multiple repeated stresses will result in a sudden structural failure of one or more parts and quite often the engine fails in cascading fashion, just like a card house.

Aluminum is just one more pie in the sky for the manufacturers, kind of like an overly inflated and stressed 4 stoke engine. It is like a stopwatch ticking every time you ride or even sit on your bike, or do ANYTHING to apply a stress to the frame. Aluminum's lack of an "Infinite fatigue life" guarantees that after a certain number of stress cycles, your frame will fail.

The reason to be glad if you've got steel results directly from the characteristics of Steel vs Aluminum as they endure repeated loading below the point at which either will fail initially. "Fatigue Life".

Any bar of material has a "Moment of Failure" threshold, a limit load which will break the material in question immediately when applied. All of our motocross frames, no matter what type, are designed well beyond that point. Even Travis Pastrana shouldn't have to worry about that type of failure. He can rest assured that his head tube will stay where it should be, at least while he is doing anything even remotely concievable by the people who designed his bike. But if he's got an aluminum frame, that confidence would only be warranted while his bike was fairly new .....

I'm going on real long about this I'm sorry, and it's complicated, but let me try to explain it this way:

Say we have 2 brand new, equal, fully charged car batteries. One battery, we'll call "Steel" and one battery we'll call "Aluminum". A "Dead Battery" equalls a broken frame.

A "Dead Short" would be the equivelant of a single huge jump with Fat Albert riding, where the frame broke as soon as he landed.

For all of us smart enough not to "Dead Short" our battery with one huge application of force, our normal usage of our bikes could be likened to drawing different amounts of current from the batteries, and making different demands on them, to do different jobs.

Riding down a smooth straight for example, might be like... running the map and dash lights in the car. Blitz the woops = maybe, headlights or wipers or both. Make the doubles, = maybe same or maybe same plus you turned on the radio. The big stresses that are easy to see are like when you come up short and land on the upside of something you were trying to clear, or go too far and flatland, or things like that. Their draw on the "Battery" might be like if you idled the car and played a car stereo system like you see on "NJ Shore" as loud as it would go, with big amps drawing a lot of power..

At some point, as the demand for current increses a point of balance is reached where the demands placed on the battery and the recharging power from the generator are equal and the battery's potential remains static and constant as a buffer, further demand can surpass the ability of the generator to replenish the charge. After this point is surpassed, the battery will be drawn down by the excess demand until it's dead as a doornail.

Steel is great because it behaves kind of like a car battery with a generator recharging it. There is a level of stress at which it will break immediately, and you do your best to avoid that, (Don't ride off a cliff) but the GOOD news is that steel ALSO has a level of stress under which it aquires NO damage from cyclical stresses. A level of demand under which it does not lose any charge. This spectrum of demand is where steel has what's known as "Infinite Fatigue Life".

The reason why Aluminum is a little scary to me as a motorcycle frame material is that it has NO level of stress below which you are not damaging it. It's like using a car battery without the generator. If it takes 100lbs in the middle of a bar to break it, and you apply a relatively small fraction of that load numerous times, it will break after some number of load cycles.

If you had a very beefy steel frame, it would be quite possible that nothing you ever did on your bike would ever cause any stress cracking, and your frame could last you as long as you wanted to keep it. The break bomb theoretically never has to go off...

On the filpside, beefing up an aluminum frame would only add some length to the fuse.

And they're making it worse by trying to add some flex into those aluminum frames. By adding those highly touted points of flex to the frames, you concentrate the stresses and expedite the failure.

Maybe it's just me, but it just don't seem right.

Thanks,

Jim
I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline losec

• Intermediate
  • naaaa
    • View Profile
Re: What do you guys think about Steel vs Aluminum frames?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 12:16:19 AM »
I hear what you say, but I have actually cracked 2 steel frames in my days :S one time the headtube cracked all tough it was still in place but if i didnt discover that i t was cracked it could have been nasty. The other time the frame cracked at the footpeg mount. I can can give some more info and maybe some pics if you wanna.
But i really like steel frames anyway :D
I never crash -I just make unexpected decelerations

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 03:31:32 AM »
Jim,

That's an excellent intelligent post for Vital.... you writing and the way that you explain things is amazing!!

I have not gone over there yet, but most times those guys get bored when there is too much to read, so they will pick out one sentence of your post and give you a hard time about the one thing. Of course it's out of context at that moment... but it's so much easier for them to give one word or one sentence replies!!

My feeling is that many of them are just trying to have the highest post count!! Not sure what kind of contest that is, but I would rather less posting of stupid stuff and more well thought out replies. But that's just me.

Now I'm headed over there to see what happened!  ;D
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 03:53:44 AM »
Just back from Vital...

Honestly I'm surprised that no one said that the aluminum frame is prettier than the steel one, or that it "looks" better!! LOL

Unfortunately, so many folks involved in motocross believe that looks trump function... in a way it's a real shame. It's like they are so taken by the marketing buzz and the pretty pictures that they leave out the most important aspect of racing, having the best bike for getting around a track with the lowest lap times.

Now of course I'm only speaking of motocross racing, but you get the idea.

Example, the new Maico... to me this machine is amazing. Yes it has just been updated this tear after being the same for many years. What is mentioned on message boards more than anything else? That it uses plastics from a late model Yamaha!!

The point is that the machine is still around and still handles well after all these years. While I have not had a chance to ride one yet (hopefully soon!) my guess is that it will not be far off motor wise or handling wise from the most modern machines.

Hell someplace on the main site is an article about George who sold his Honda CRF450 and bought a 1981 Maico 490... he said that both the power and handling were better on the Maico!!

It just goes to show that you need to make up your mind based on actual experience and not all the hype.

Sorry that your intelligent post was "wasted" over at Vital...

Although it did give me an idea, how would you like to write some articles for the main site?

A few folks have also asked me to start a magazine... what would you think of writing some for that?? Of course your sense of humor that you have shown all so often would need to shine through... it has to be fun for all!!

Please let me know!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 07:23:20 AM »
I'd like to ride a steel framed CR250 that has the exact dimensions and suspension as my Alum framed 04.  I love that bike more than any bike I have ever ridden.  It handles perfect and I can say in my steel framed days, they wore me down more. But I don't know if it was due to other things like suspension etc.  So again, I'd like to compare to a current setup and answer how they feel toe to toe.  I will say, I've also broke steel framed bikes and not aluminum so far. I do see quite a few old run down aluminum framed CR's and they are still holding together. So I'm not sure on the answer unless I could ride both. I guess when I get the KTM 150sx someday, I can compare that to my 06 CR144.  That really will be a toe to toe comparison.  Motor and suspension, plus frames etc.  ;-)
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 08:41:05 AM »
Hello John,

I would love to write some stuff for Two Stroke Motocross. What a compliment, and thank you very much!

I'm very motivated about these subjects, because I really don't want to see us get to a point where we no longer have access to the machines we really like to ride. In my opinion, we're far enough off the mark in the US already, with guys like me always looking for new ways to import Japanese Domestic Market machines, or Canadian machines, or working to keep some great machinery from the distant past in good trim so we don't have to swallow the blue pill, zip on a Koolaid smile, and ride some bland lawnmower. You're right, this is going to be a great year for keepers of the faith. The MX marketing and media blob has raged on for 10 years now about the "Dead" 2 stroke, but the stone in their shoe is getting bigger no matter what they say. The bikes are just too good to dissapear even with the best pitchmen and money pie puppet masters in the world working to bury them. Two troke Motocross is a great place for people to band together around something we've decided it's not OK to lose.  

Since it just stopped raining here for the first time in what feels like 10 days, I'm warming up the ol' TS185 and taking a nice dual sport adventure ride out to PA and maybe ride route 32 and 611 along the river. This is going to be a lot of fun, and I can't wait! Bike's outside burning some oil and coming up to temp!

Thanks again,

Jim
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:46:27 AM by Suzuki TS250/185 »
I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline SubTexel

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 11:21:35 AM »
I'd like to ride a steel framed CR250 that has the exact dimensions and suspension as my Alum framed 04.  I love that bike more than any bike I have ever ridden.  It handles perfect and I can say in my steel framed days, they wore me down more. But I don't know if it was due to other things like suspension etc.  So again, I'd like to compare to a current setup and answer how they feel toe to toe.  I will say, I've also broke steel framed bikes and not aluminum so far. I do see quite a few old run down aluminum framed CR's and they are still holding together. So I'm not sure on the answer unless I could ride both. I guess when I get the KTM 150sx someday, I can compare that to my 06 CR144.  That really will be a toe to toe comparison.  Motor and suspension, plus frames etc.  ;-)

1993 CR250... The 3rd gen aluminum frame on your 04 and my 06 is about as close as we'll get to that years frame (Honda mucked with the 4th gen frames moving away from that perfection they almost had with the 3rd gen).

The aluminum frames do have a finite number of stress cycles but I have honestly never broken one since I started on them back in 1998 on the CR125 (and THAT frame on quite a few peoples bikes broke @ the head welds in 1997 on the 250 when it first came out, cold weld issues only though). I've broken quite a few steel frames, though this was back in the early 90s.

So, honestly I really think the whole aluminum issue of breakage is really a non issue in terms of reliability (otherwise we'd see some major issues cropping up by now). What really is an issue with Aluminum frames vs. Steel is cost. The big 3 love aluminum because it makes their already expensive 4 strokes even more expensive (major reason the CRF150R didn't come with an aluminum frame was cost, Honda was already pushing it in the cost department and had to skimp out on just about everything to TRY and make it INITIALLY competitive price wise...).

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 12:06:09 PM »
I have contemplated taking a 10' CRF250f frame and using a 97 CR250 motor in it. In 97, it had a spin controller or something, like traction control?  Also it had a lot of down low power.  I've been wondering how much better the 10' frame would be, because I already am using the 3rd gen frames on the 144 and 500af, so why not just go to the new frame with the 250 and scrap the idea of another 3rd gen 250. (I've had atleast 20, I buy and sell bikes).  My worry, is newer won't be better and that is a ton of money to build a bike that I don't like as much as the 02-07 CR250.    I actually like the 04's up because of some minor changes, but the frame is the same as you know from 02.  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:07:43 PM by miedosoracing »
www.miedosoracing.com

Offline wexy21

• Junior
  • 2nd place is 1st loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 09:04:24 PM »
Well I took a pretty long vacation from moto-x and my two bikes I have now are both 02's and hondas.  Both bikes actually have cracks in the frames!  my 450 has one on the left at the biggest part where the side goes down (right by the carb) It's a thin crack by the weld.  My 125 has a bend and is split open on the left at the bottom near bottom motor mount (which I didn't see when I bought it).  Both aren't a prb with me....but both are the only two cracks I've ever had and I've had over a dozen bikes. 
  My last 125 was a 99 YZ and it had a huge flat spot on the left side almost where the subfram connects.  I just covered it with a side gaurd.  But I gaurantee you that whoever put that dent in the fram would have broke it if it were aluminum!  I've cased a lot of jumps on my older bikes and the only thing that ever cracked was my collarbone! lol.  I'll prb never be as fast or daring as I used to be, so these issue with my frames now are in the back of my mind. 
02 Cr125
02 Crf450
03 Polaris 250 Trailblazor
98 Buell S1WL

Offline admiral

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 12:02:24 PM »
i've welded/repaired more KX steel frames than all others combined over the years.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 04:06:27 PM by admiral »

Offline grumpy

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 01:07:38 PM »
The beauty of steel, you can repair it.
The AMA 4 stroke displacement rule is simply the AMA's Rich Kid's Handicap Rule!

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 01:32:30 PM »

Huh?
www.miedosoracing.com

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 02:03:33 PM »

Huh?

I think what he means is that most of us have access to a steel welder, but not to an aluminum welder.  To have the aluminum welded requires a trip to a machine shop.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline grumpy

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 03:38:04 PM »
Guess I could have elaborated a bit more there. But essentially, yes, I mean that it is easy, inexpensive and trustworthy to fix a steel frame.

I'm not a racer, probably never will be and I have shallow pockets. But that doesn't mean when I get a chance to fire up the bike that I'm gonna baby it because something might break. A good old two stroke with a steel frame is a perfect bike to play on. There really isn't anything that can or will go wrong that I can't fix in short order at a low cost and be back out playing again.

My cousin races a KX450F and it is an absolute beauty. But after replacing the 1st bottom end on it he wont ride off road anymore. After he replaced the 2nd bottom end, he's questioning if he'll ever be able to get a different bike knowing he's lost so much money in this one and that he'll get pennies on the dollar for it if he ever tried to sell it. I know I see a lot of 250f's and 450f's used and most will say something like it might potentially need a valve job. Lol, I wouldn't touch one with a 10ft pole. I won't even dare ride my cousins bike, I don't want that grenading underneath me.

I also see many rolling chassis out there from 250/450f's. I've often thought of putting a 2 stroke in one, but with my luck I'll get one with a hairline fracture in it which pretty much makes the whole thing junk. No, I'm sorry but in my book, should I buy a new bike it's gonna have to be 2 stroke and steel framed.
The AMA 4 stroke displacement rule is simply the AMA's Rich Kid's Handicap Rule!

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 04:19:55 PM »
Sounds a lot like your cousin needs to visit our site TSM.  8)  He has way more of a 4 stroke issue than a aluminum frame issue.  I have yet to see an aluminum frame that is cracked that hasn't been majorly crashed or bent.

Guess I could have elaborated a bit more there. But essentially, yes, I mean that it is easy, inexpensive and trustworthy to fix a steel frame.

I'm not a racer, probably never will be and I have shallow pockets. But that doesn't mean when I get a chance to fire up the bike that I'm gonna baby it because something might break. A good old two stroke with a steel frame is a perfect bike to play on. There really isn't anything that can or will go wrong that I can't fix in short order at a low cost and be back out playing again.

My cousin races a KX450F and it is an absolute beauty. But after replacing the 1st bottom end on it he wont ride off road anymore. After he replaced the 2nd bottom end, he's questioning if he'll ever be able to get a different bike knowing he's lost so much money in this one and that he'll get pennies on the dollar for it if he ever tried to sell it. I know I see a lot of 250f's and 450f's used and most will say something like it might potentially need a valve job. Lol, I wouldn't touch one with a 10ft pole. I won't even dare ride my cousins bike, I don't want that grenading underneath me.

I also see many rolling chassis out there from 250/450f's. I've often thought of putting a 2 stroke in one, but with my luck I'll get one with a hairline fracture in it which pretty much makes the whole thing junk. No, I'm sorry but in my book, should I buy a new bike it's gonna have to be 2 stroke and steel framed.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:56:59 AM by miedosoracing »
www.miedosoracing.com