Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: A Question for TMKIWI...  (Read 3747 times)

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
A Question for TMKIWI...
« on: April 16, 2010, 06:55:26 PM »
I just want to ask TMKIWI and anybody else who is familiar with the Italian TM-300's which I think are beautiful machines and I know have to be stone reliable how do they run?No doubt like a "ROCKET"!Just was wondering how they run & the characteristics of the powerband?Is it similiar to the KTM 300's & other European 2-strokes?

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: A Question for TMKIWI...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 08:19:53 PM »
I've got a 2008 TM300MX and i love it. It's way faster than i can ride it put it that way. i have a dual map ignition which you can choose between from bar mounted switch. in the topend setting the power delivery is very much like a 125's in that there's no bottom end and a blistering midrange and top end, it's really fast in that map but a real challenge to ride hard for a whole moto.
The bottom end map is noticably different and really grunts off the bottom but runs out of go soon as you hit the upper revs, the beauty of it is i can chose between the 2 while i'm on the move.
When you first see a TM in the flesh you can't help but stare, there are so many trick bits to look at.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 05:50:14 PM »
I've ridden TM 300's and found them to be "very Italion" in their handling characteristics - biased more towards straightline stability.As well,like the KTM 300, they are a case reed induction twostroke and seem to have a midrange bias, you won't get that "silky" feel to the powerspread that Maicos and older Honda CR250s have. They are limited production bikes with lots of cnc "eye candy" and their quality of construction make the japanese bikes look pretty ordinary.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 07:36:10 PM »
I've ridden TM 300's and found them to be "very Italion" in their handling characteristics - biased more towards straightline stability.As well,like the KTM 300, they are a case reed induction twostroke and seem to have a midrange bias, you won't get that "silky" feel to the powerspread that Maicos and older Honda CR250s have. They are limited production bikes with lots of cnc "eye candy" and their quality of construction make the japanese bikes look pretty ordinary.
Yep spot on, the old steel frames certainly have that feel but the 08 and up alloy frames are also pretty nimble. I can just about always carve a tighter line than the 450's i ride with, have had some scary headshake at top speed though.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 09:39:53 PM »
Headshake at top speed...  Man, what a different world.  I'm used to bikes that practically let you take your hands off the bars - old Huskies are like the Peter-Fonda-Chopper of motocross bikes.  Everything that everyone knows about rake angle and wheelbase and all that says they should handle like a dump truck.  No one's quite sure why they didn't.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 02:20:01 PM »
Hi Maicoman.
Before i bought mine i read a couple of bike tests done on them that they had a scary powerband but bit the bullet anyway.I had a RM250
I dont have the duel ignition map.
Mine has a JRF torque controler on it which is a hydraulic dampner conected to the power valve rod.
It basically works by limiting how quick the power valve opens.
It has 8 adjustable settings.1 is factory standard which gives you bugger all low down and then a massive hit from mid to top. 8 stops the power valve opening at all and will run like a tractor.
I run mine on 3 which gives a nice bottom a strong mid and it still screams up top. I have tried 5 which helps when conditions are really slippery. You can change on the move with a bit of practice.
I under stand all Australian & NZ bike for 2010 come standard with them now.
The power delivery i think is great. Yes way more then a 250 but controlable if you use the throttle correctly.The best thing is the mid which is very strong so when you get tired you can still go quick without having to worry what gear you are in.Handling wise i dont have a issue with head shake and it turns just as well as my RM. I find i can lay the bike over further without worrying about washing out the front.Yes they are a bit of eye candy. Every ride i have guys coming up and asking questions about "what is that".The TM will run with most 450s. I drag raced a friend on a 450sx up a long 5 gear hill climb and he could not pull away.He was shaking his head at the top.He couldnt believe it. He is a 4 stroke nut though so we can feel sorry for him.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 04:31:46 PM »
Here's a photo of the adjustable power valve for those that are interested.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 10:33:54 PM »
I'd love one of those torque controllers, with the ignition as well you'd be able to totally tune your ride while on the go.
Hey TMKIWI do you deal with motoworks in chch

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 06:04:48 AM »
Here's a photo of the adjustable power valve for those that are interested.

TMKIWI - do you have additional information on the adjustable power valve? Do they have them available for the YZ250??

What kind of adjustments does it allow you to make?

By the way it looks awesome!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 02:37:59 PM »
Hi John. The JRF torque controller is a hydraulic bleed valve that works against the centrifugal exhaust valve control. Similar to KTM's having different colored springs that control how fast the power valve opens.
Unlike a duel ignition map it does not change peak power at all just how big the hit is.
Although i said you can change on the move it is not very practical. But the good thing is if you turn up to a track that is fast and flowing you can turn it to 1 and you have a massively powerfull motor to roost to the moon and back. If the track is a slippery bog you can turn it to 5-7 and tractor round like the handicap bikes.
No tools needed, no jet changes just turn the clicker and go.
Remember these motors are a race tuned engine that is very peaky as TotalNZ has said.They are a handful to hold on to in the standard settings.
The units are availible from Cross Country Action in Cessnock NSW Aussie.
They were developed to try and tame the TM's for the average rider. It works.
Not sure if you can get one for a YZ but the unit replaces the powervalve cover on the right hand side of the motor.I think it connects directly to the control rod.
I am keen to find out myself anyway.
Will be putting a new ring in soon so will find out when i pull the barrel.
2smoker might be able to help i saw him reply on another site about the same thing. Or you can contact them on sales@crossaction.com.au
Not sure if you would need one on a well tuned YZ but would be a good addition on a highly tuned YZ.
TotalNZ i deal with Motoworks.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 05:58:21 PM »
Hey TotalNZ put up a photo of your bike.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 01:04:28 AM »
i've put couple up already, here's a link. she's getting graphics at the mo i'll put some more up when they fitted
http://twostrokemotocross.com/forum/index.php/topic,139.msg1159.html#msg1159
http://twostrokemotocross.com/forum/index.php/topic,97.msg1130.html#msg1130