Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Can't believe no one has made a post about this..  (Read 10002 times)

Offline Lolerbabop

• View Profile
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
Can''t believe no one has made a post about this..
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »
Ran into that like last week. Charles should of gone with this over high gain tuning. A bit pricey, but if it does what its supposed to then its unmatched. Nice collection of wins for both 2/4 stroke as well.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
Can''''t believe no one has made a post about this..
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 05:11:30 PM »
I would love to see some independent data on this. Sounds too good to be true. Usually is.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline nom de guerre

• View Profile
Can''''''''t believe no one has made a post about this..
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 05:22:51 PM »
10 plus pages on the GG forum shows alot of interest... 1 guy has the 38mm version and is raving about it... There is a lot of info and GG has been testing these as well. I plan on one for my '13 250sx.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Can''''''''''''''''t believe no one has made a post about this..
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 11:06:49 PM »
$775 is a VERY expensive carburetor though!

with the very small amount of info I can find it seems that it works very similar to a lectron carburetor (single circuit, uses metering rods, great fuel atomisation).
The only exception is that its altitude compensating and costs twice as much.

it is interesting though, Id like to be able to read into it more, but for my current bike I cant really justify spending $1500+ for two carbs

Is there any emmisions/power/AFR information on these carbs which proves the claims?

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
gas gas thread is an interesting read

Offline scottydog

• Novice
    • View Profile
The big question, is it Apple or android compatible?

cool gizzmo but stink name.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile

Offline 2STROKEREVOLUTION

• Novice
    • View Profile
Can't believe no one has made a post about this..
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 02:51:40 AM »
$775 is a VERY expensive carburetor though!

with the very small amount of info I can find it seems that it works very similar to a lectron carburetor (single circuit, uses metering rods, great fuel atomisation).
The only exception is that its altitude compensating and costs twice as much.

it is interesting though, Id like to be able to read into it more, but for my current bike I cant really justify spending $1500+ for two carbs

Is there any emmisions/power/AFR information on these carbs which proves the claims?

The Lectron is a drag carb though. Works great at WOT. This is supposed to work just as well at low rpm.

I do beleive that is a common misconception

An improperly set up lectron (wrong metering rod) is only good for WOT.
A properly set up lectron as used on many two stroke road racers (especially in america) is great at all throttle openings.

always be careful as the advertiser of a "new and wonderful product" will always take advantage of common misconceptions!

misconceptions

that this carb is the only carb that isnt sensitive to altitude/temp changes.

incorrect: lectrons are also far superior to convetional carbs at alt/temp changes

that this carb is the only carb that can atomise fuel to a smaller droplet size than injection

incorrect: lectron carburetors can also do this in the exact same manor as the 'smart carb'

this carb is superior to lectron carburetors in the fact that its not a drag only carb (as stated by the company owner)

incorrect: the lectron carbs when set up properly are good for all throttle openings

so a properly set up lectron carb can do almost everything that this smart carb does yet costs half as much. The only short fall I can see is that metering rod can be adjusted externally on the smart carb while the engine is running while the lectron metering rod change takes a few minutes per carb (from previous drag racing experience with 4x 40mm lectrons on an 8.7 second GS1500)

I didn't realize, when I read through it the first time, that it was the owner that wrote that statement. Here is the direct quote:

Phil, there?s no school like old school. You're right the similarities are many, however the distinction between the Lectron and the SmartCarb spans over 40 years of development and is the final design in the long line of Edmonston designed single circuit flat slide carburetors, including the Lake Injector, Pos a Fuel, Lectron, EI Blue Magnum, Quicksilver and AFT?.

The Lectron is widely recognized as a ?drag race? carburetor because it works very well in applications where maximum power is desirable. Which it does well, what it does not do well is provide high signal to the metering rod throughout the whole range of throttle opening and therefore smooth throttling suffers, requiring many different venturi sizes (every 2mm) and has thus gained a reputation as not being very streetable. The reason: Throttle opening and closing is symmetrical in relation to the throttle bore area, which is more or less round. While there have been small improvements over the years with Lectrons, the SmartCarb has a patented variable venturi shape that concentrates and accelerates airflow past the base of the metering rod under all throttle opening positions. This shape provides an extremely high pickup signal to the metering rod in all conditions and is also specific to enhancing air/fuel flow balance in both two cycle and four cycle engines.

The SmartCarb automatically and immediately corrects air/fuel ratios for changes in air density and elevation. The operating principle between the SmartCarb altitude adjustment circuit and a dial a jet (what Lectron calls its Power Jet) is the same; static pressure in the venturi is directly communicated to the float bowl to adjust fuel driving pressures, and ideally fuel flow remains proportional to airflow. The difference is a dial a jet has only a limited number of manual settings and must be reset for large changes in barometric pressures and/or elevation. The dial a jet also has opportunity for flow reversion at very high speeds because it is directly exposed to the venturi via the signal tube. The SmartCarb vents the float bowl directly to a scoop isolated in the venturi away from any opportunity for flow reversion.

$299 will get you dated technology from 30 year old dies. $775.00 will get you state of the art 6061 billet construction, unbelievable atomization, instant throttle response, 30%+ gains in fuel economy, 10%+ gains in HP, 8%+ gains in torque and an emissions reduction.

From what he said, it sounds like there are improvements all over, not a completely new design.

Anyone with Lectron experience outside of drag racing?

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Can''t believe no one has made a post about this..
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 10:17:53 AM »
the north american two strokes site is full of guys running lectrons on their tz250s and tz750s in road racing.

I t

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Can''''t believe no one has made a post about this..
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 02:30:26 PM »
With DI and whatnot coming on now,someone is actually wasting time and money to try to build a better carburetor?Seriously?
Kudos to them if it works but it's a shame they're too late.There may be a very small market in retrofits but not much else I expect.Sort of like trying to build a super-horse to replace the car.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline nom de guerre

• View Profile
Can''''''''t believe no one has made a post about this..
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 03:37:16 PM »
With DI and whatnot coming on now,someone is actually wasting time and money to try to build a better carburetor?Seriously?
Kudos to them if it works but it's a shame they're too late.There may be a very small market in retrofits but not much else I expect.Sort of like trying to build a super-horse to replace the car.

Very interesting POV... I am fixated on this carb and will probably try it anyway... I was always interested in the "PSI BIG AIR" carbs years ago too.

Offline msmola2002

• Expert
    • View Profile
Can''''''''''''''''t believe no one has made a post about this..
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 07:19:26 PM »
With DI and whatnot coming on now

Still waiting... til then, I am happy to see some innovation/improvements. And there are how many million old bikes out there? You will have no issues bolting a carb onto an older engine, retrofitting DI will not be easy.

Offline Kodackamera

• Novice
  • The future is bright...
    • View Profile
This is extremely interesting, thankyou for posting this. 8)

I saw the website of an American company producing cylinder heads and other components to retrofit to 2 stroke vehicles in the far east, apparently, successfully reducing much pollution.

I could see this SmartCarb working as a retrofit for 2 strokes in principle. I would be very interested as to wether it has the capability to overcome the temporary leanness for which power jets provided a solution for with conventional flat slide carburetors at sudden WOT, I believe the video claims it uses a single circuit if I heard correctly.
"The 500 is another world. The bike come from another world."
-Valentino Rossi

Offline Kodackamera

• Novice
  • The future is bright...
    • View Profile
After looking at the video another time, the image of the carb doesn't appear to have a functioning slide, is it flowing max air all the time?
"The 500 is another world. The bike come from another world."
-Valentino Rossi