Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Big bore smoker chunking out new Dunlop M51's  (Read 5497 times)

Offline jtomasik

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Straightline Solutions, LLC
Big bore smoker chunking out new Dunlop M51's
« on: September 29, 2010, 12:12:32 PM »
I have about 3 rides on my M51, mounted on my 500AF.  Knobs are starting to disappear.  I don't ride rocks (just MX tracks with that thing...wish there was a desert nearby!).  The knobs are broken off at their base.  Anyone run in to similar issues with their M51?  Any suggestions for a good, all-around rear meat for the 500AF?  I ride Colorado tracks, so they'll range from blue groove, through light silt, to deep tilled kiddy highways (which is how so many MX'rs today like their tracks).
All motocross, all the time.

Offline Dirt Addict

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Re: Big bore smoker chunking out new Dunlop M51's
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 02:35:53 PM »
kenda millville from rocky mtn. i really liked it on my big bore rm 250.  and they lasted pretty long too.

Offline jtomasik

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 03:36:34 PM »
That Kenda OK on blue groove?  Hell, I shouldn't worry 'bout it...just ride the 500 off idle all day and tractor out of anything.

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 01:43:04 AM »
Hey JT,
I have a 04 Service Honda, Been riding in the SoCal desert for a few years. She definately is a tire eater.
I have had the best luck with dunlop 739 rear MX51 front, and Pirelli Scorpion mid/hard.
I run a 120 90 19 rear.
With the 739 rear you have to run 2-3lbs. less pressure than normal ( I think it is a six ply)
I ran a set of 745's that held up pretty well, But I didn't like the way they turned in.

Glenn

Offline jtomasik

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 04:43:26 AM »
Hey JT,
I have a 04 Service Honda, Been riding in the SoCal desert for a few years. She definately is a tire eater.
I have had the best luck with dunlop 739 rear MX51 front, and Pirelli Scorpion mid/hard.
I run a 120 90 19 rear.
With the 739 rear you have to run 2-3lbs. less pressure than normal ( I think it is a six ply)
I ran a set of 745's that held up pretty well, But I didn't like the way they turned in.

Glenn

Thanks, Glenn.  I was at a buddy's MXDN ride party last Friday, and they were saying the 739 was replaced by the MX51 series.  I assumed they knew what they were talking about, but I see the 739 is still available at a decent price.  I agree, that's a good tire.  It's what was on the 500 previously, and it didn't fall apart like this one's doing.  I think I'll go back to it.

How's that Pirelli?

So Cal dez?  I used to ride Johnson Valley a lot.  I loved Rattlesnake Canyon, and I'd love to try this Service Honda there.  I'd bet handfuls of that mid-range punch in the deep sand would be amazing!!!  Where do you ride?  I miss the dez!!!!!!

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 08:53:30 AM »
Hey JT,
I run a 120 90 19 rear.

Glenn

Thanks, Glenn.  I was at a buddy's MXDN ride party last Friday, and they were saying the 739 was replaced by the MX51 series.  I assumed they knew what they were talking about, but I see the 739 is still available at a decent price.  I agree, that's a good tire.  It's what was on the 500 previously, and it didn't fall apart like this one's doing.  I think I'll go back to it.

How's that Pirelli?

So Cal dez?  I used to ride Johnson Valley a lot.  I loved Rattlesnake Canyon, and I'd love to try this Service Honda there.  I'd bet handfuls of that mid-range punch in the deep sand would be amazing!!!  Where do you ride?  I miss the dez!!!!!!

The Pirelli's I tried came on the bike, It has been a while and I was getting used to the bike, But I remember they lasted a loong time. I just picked up another set on sale at CPW. Ill Let you know how I like them.

I ride Stoddard, Johnson Valley, and Lucerne in the cooler months, And Silverwood, Big Bear and Arrowhead in the summer. I allso run a few D37 Hare and Hound races each year.

Offline jtomasik

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 10:01:32 AM »
The Pirelli's I tried came on the bike, It has been a while and I was getting used to the bike, But I remember they lasted a loong time. I just picked up another set on sale at CPW. Ill Let you know how I like them.

I ride Stoddard, Johnson Valley, and Lucerne in the cooler months, And Silverwood, Big Bear and Arrowhead in the summer. I allso run a few D37 Hare and Hound races each year.
Nice!  I never rode Stoddard much.  You ever ride the Adelanto GP?  I did waaaaay back in the late 80's.  That was an absolute blast.  Do you know Gary Menser?  He's a long-time close riding buddy of mine, and he's very active riding/racing the dez stuff.  Great guy, all around.  Every time I visit, I'll do rides with him.

How do you like the 500AF?  It took me about a month to get used to mine.  Now, by running it at different parts of the RPM range, I can make it go fast pretty much everywhere.  It's amazing how electric and hard it pulls from idle...I walk away from the 450's, even in the slick stuff.  My favorite bike...ever.  Heck, I have it turning almost as good as my RM, and it's much more stable.

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 10:45:10 AM »

Nice!  I never rode Stoddard much.  You ever ride the Adelanto GP?  I did waaaaay back in the late 80's.  That was an absolute blast.  Do you know Gary Menser?  He's a long-time close riding buddy of mine, and he's very active riding/racing the dez stuff.  Great guy, all around.  Every time I visit, I'll do rides with him.

How do you like the 500AF?  It took me about a month to get used to mine.  Now, by running it at different parts of the RPM range, I can make it go fast pretty much everywhere.  It's amazing how electric and hard it pulls from idle...I walk away from the 450's, even in the slick stuff.  My favorite bike...ever.  Heck, I have it turning almost as good as my RM, and it's much more stable.

Never did Adelanto, I've only raced H&H and Enduros (I'm old and chicken).

I've heard of Gary Menser, Don't think I have met him.

I really like the Service Honda, It took me a few rides to get used to how good it is at everything. Outstanding machine, But not for everyone.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 09:56:02 PM »
I can recomend the Kenda Millville.
My buddie and I did a ride on sunday which was a mixture of single track , bogs and high speed 4th & 5th up hills.
The ground was a mixture of mud , clay and loose rock/shale.
We covered 100km in 6 laps and the Michelin MS3 on my mates KX250 is shot with 20-30% of knobs ripped off. :(

The Kenda on my 300 still looks new. Except for the knobs being a bit rounded of cause.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 02:27:01 AM »
Wow i've had totally different experience with DUNLOPS and KENDA's wearing out real quick.
I'm talking full MX tire though. I've found the MICHELLIN's and PIRRELLI's the best by far, The MS3 and the MX XTRA

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 05:02:36 AM »
Do you guys get Motoz tyres in the US ?
These are the tyres to use for decent life on a big bore in the desert.
Anyone who has to pay for their tyres, use Motoz in the finke.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 09:34:29 AM »
Do you guys get Motoz tyres in the US ?
These are the tyres to use for decent life on a big bore in the desert.
Anyone who has to pay for their tyres, use Motoz in the finke.

The MotoZ tires are just being re-introduced here in the states. From the tests that I've read about these tires they work really well, last long and are priced reasonably.... you can find some information about the tires on this site.

http://www.motoz.com.au/
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 04:41:11 AM »
are you running an 18 or 19 rim? is the tire a 130/18 or 120/19? try the M31.   and groove the center knobs horizontally w a tire knife. 13lbs. and maybe roll on the power a little slower, lol.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.