Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: fred andrews racing YZ250 GNCC bike  (Read 5759 times)

Offline admiral

• Expert
    • View Profile
fred andrews racing YZ250 GNCC bike
« on: May 17, 2010, 01:46:11 PM »
some of you might know who he is, a former AMA pro MX'er and former pro GNCC, now has his own race team and dealership. i was reading June '10 Dirt Bike mag and they had a feature about his GNCC race team bike, a YZ 250. Yamaha pulled their support since Andrews wanted to race the 2 stroke as they only want to support the WR 4 stroke. Fred decided that because of the economics of racing (maintence and hop up) the 2 stroke being cheaper was the deciding factor. but now that 250 2 strokes can race in the XC2 (250F) class in AMA GNCC i think that was also a factor. according to Fred at the '09 Loretta Lynn's GNCC there was so much water and mud it required complete 4 stroke rebuilds that wiped out the teams parts budget for the year!

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: fred andrews racing YZ250 GNCC bike
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 02:20:16 PM »
This is HUGE news!! A race team deciding that the factory support is not worth the cost of racing!!

My illusion is that this is just the beginning...

Whooo Hoooo!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 05:10:06 PM »
Just when I was slowly starting to regain a little respect for the Yamaha Corp.& low & behold they spat in the face of the consumer who prefers 2-strokes over 4-chokes! I'm very happy however that Fred Andrews is doing things his way as oppossed to the way Yamadog wants him to!I'll be rooting for Fred Andrews in the GNCC races just on that fact alone!THANKS,Fred Andrews for standing up for the 2-strokes as well as NOT knuckling under to the BIG corporate monster that is Yamaha!I'll NEVER purchase anything with the Yamaha name on it again!NEVER YamaDOG!!!!!!! :-*

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »
The YZ250 is a great off road machine.
If Yamaha had any brain's they would release a Enduro version of it.
It's one of the more popular bikes to convert into a enduro bike and if Yamaha made one i am sure they would sell shit loads of them.
At the moment KTM,Husqvarna,Gas Gas & TM have the balance of the market because they are ready to Go.

Some people can't be bothered changing the Suspension,bigger tank & 18' rear + flywheel weight.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 04:20:16 PM »
Fred Andrews on blue  8)I always remembered him riding green off road. :'(
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 04:31:28 PM by ford832 »
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 04:21:54 PM »
Where have you been ford ?
You get lost ?

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 04:30:51 PM »
Lol,not really.I was getting the YZ ready for this weekend early this week,then a customer brought in an old 1967 chainsaw so I've been frigging with that(she's a runner now)then a buddy that owns an outdoor shop needed some flies tied so I did that,then I went over the tiller as I'd like to get the garden in this weekend as well.I have more to do but my daughter has a dance comp tomorrow so has friends over right now.At this moment,I'm hiding in the bedroom with the door locked.I think I really need a life-or more time or something ;D

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 04:46:22 PM »
Yeh i'm just sitting at work waiting for 12 o'clock to come around so i can shut up shop.
I got my riding fill in last weekend.
I rode all day saturday up the coast in a new forest block they opened up. Was raining at the start but was fun.
Awsome scenery. We were about 3000ft up in the ranges.

Rode all day sunday as well in another forest block just up the road. That was new as well.
Clocked up about 12 hours and the body was in 1 piece.
So all in all a bloody good weekend.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 05:23:52 PM »
Coooollll,that sounds like too much fun.No pics? :o
It's a three day weekend here(Victoria day)so I'm heading to the practice track on Sunday.I haven't ridden there since last fall so I need to do the jump that caused my ambulance ride last time ;D
So far this year I've only managed a couple small rides with the little one so this will be the first real ride of the spring.It should be good for working off a little of the winter fat.I find the first couple rides of the year are brutal when you're not used to it.Oh well,how bad can it be? :)

Offline jerret125

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 03:16:15 PM »
jason thomas won the xc2 class this weekend in somerset pa. thats 2 wins so far this season for him.
04 YZ250    08 YZ250

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 05:59:21 PM »
I remember watching a video once of Fred Andrews racing a 125 and he was really fast on that little bike. It's one reason I got interested in riding small bores off-road, because of the way he handled that bike.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.