Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: CR250R Idle pulsing?? (+top end)  (Read 6410 times)

Offline dk

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: CR250R Idle pulsing??
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 06:55:26 PM »
So I finished installing the top end today. When I pump the kick start it's very tough and firm. No leaks as far as I can tell as of now. My friend noted me on something though, I never filed the piston rings, I wasn't even aware of such practice. Should I take the jug out and do them? I'd think they would come ready for installation since it all came together.

Just did my top end on my 06' KX 250.  Stock bore nothing trick.  I have 5hrs on it and its fine.  Never filed the piston rings.

Offline Taco

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: CR250R Idle pulsing?? (+top end)
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 07:54:12 AM »
That's a relief to hear. What kind of piston did you use?

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 08:47:37 AM »
I have NEVER heard of filing piston rings. Where exactly would one apply the file without ruining them? Strange -- I would really check out that advice...

For a leak test, I believe the other member meant to check for intake/crankcase leaks. Moving the kickstarter and feeling the compression is not that test. There are two ways to check for leaks:

1) remove pipe and carb and plug everything up solid somehow. Put piston at BDC so the transfers are open and remove the spark plug and put a small amount of air pressure into the bore (you would need a spark plug hole tool that would include a pressure gauge And shrader valve on it. You put the pressure into the system and then see how fast it leaks out. Somewhere there should be specification for this leak rate -- I don't know what it is. This is a pretty big deal.
2) Instead of all that, button the whole bike up and start it. Set the idle best you can. Get a can of silicon spray and shoot around the connections between the carb and the engine, around the base gasket and under the mag cover (to check for a leak on that side main seal). If there is a leak the engine tone/speed will change while you are spraying in that area -- or the engine may just die. If there is no reaction to the spray then you are good to go. This should be done at idle when there is lots of vacuum downstream of the carb. Much easier than the above method.

So I finished installing the top end today. When I pump the kick start it's very tough and firm. No leaks as far as I can tell as of now. My friend noted me on something though, I never filed the piston rings, I wasn't even aware of such practice. Should I take the jug out and do them? I'd think they would come ready for installation since it all came together.
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline dk

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: CR250R Idle pulsing?? (+top end)
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 11:32:41 AM »
That's a relief to hear. What kind of piston did you use?

Wiseco!

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 03:13:15 PM »
I have NEVER heard of filing piston rings. Where exactly would one apply the file without ruining them? Strange -- I would really check out that advice...

For a leak test, I believe the other member meant to check for intake/crankcase leaks. Moving the kickstarter and feeling the compression is not that test. There are two ways to check for leaks:

1) remove pipe and carb and plug everything up solid somehow. Put piston at BDC so the transfers are open and remove the spark plug and put a small amount of air pressure into the bore (you would need a spark plug hole tool that would include a pressure gauge And shrader valve on it. You put the pressure into the system and then see how fast it leaks out. Somewhere there should be specification for this leak rate -- I don't know what it is. This is a pretty big deal.
2) Instead of all that, button the whole bike up and start it. Set the idle best you can. Get a can of silicon spray and shoot around the connections between the carb and the engine, around the base gasket and under the mag cover (to check for a leak on that side main seal). If there is a leak the engine tone/speed will change while you are spraying in that area -- or the engine may just die. If there is no reaction to the spray then you are good to go. This should be done at idle when there is lots of vacuum downstream of the carb. Much easier than the above method.

sometimes if your bore is oversized or for some reason you need a custom piston you need to check your ring end gap and if necessary file to get it in spec. With standard bore sizes and any after market or oem piston i've ever used this hasn't been necessary though.