Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Poll of some sorts. Answer honesty please.  (Read 10445 times)

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Poll of some sorts. Answer honesty please.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 04:16:27 AM »
I also have a beef with the displacement rule, life was much easier when we had 125-250-open any stroke! I've owned both and liked both for different reasons but have only Mx raced Two strokes and enduro raced Four strokes.
Motocross is a real sport all the rest are just games

Offline ridered125

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 04:58:09 AM »
My first bike was an XR 75. Since then I've owned 14 other dirt bikes, all two strokes. I don't like to ride a four stroke, can't wait to get off it and hand it back to its owner. When I look for a new bike I never consider a four stroke.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 05:22:50 AM »
Hi Steve MOTO814, it,s Tony I used the same name Supertrucker, for when I ran into the pingertalk  folks. How is everything going,are you tuning motors again ?  For me it,s only 125,s  I could never ride a 4-st, hell I get borred riding 125,s.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 06:13:56 AM »
Both. When it comes to offroad bikes.

4 Strokes for putting around the farm or beach ( with a carrier for the beer  ;D ) DR200/XR200 types.

2 Strokes for having FUN on.  FASTER/CHEAPER/LIGHTER.

Who was the idiot that decided it was a good idea to release on the public a high performance 4 stroke that only the skilled could work on. Not being rude to anyone, but alot of riders do not have a clue about maintanence. The modern 4 stroke is a disaster on the buying public.

Road bikes both as well. (I miss my RZ350R) :(
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:35:42 AM by TMKIWI »
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 07:06:33 AM »
2 strokes thanks.

4 strokes suck  :D
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline xX JonthE Xx

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 10:37:35 AM »
I enjoy riding 4 strokes on tracks, i kind of like that heavy feeling on some tracks. I would never own one though, i love my ole smoker to much.

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 11:18:51 AM »
Interesting thread. I used to think I was very good at adapting between the two. I used to like the thumper grunt and its indestructible nature but performance was always an issue. To get the thumper to perform, you had to have White Bros., Al Baker, Parroll or some other hop up had to be used (along with 2T suspension upgrades). Then you took away what made the thumper special. It was no longer bullet proof and it cost a fortune. The advanced technology wasn't given to the thumper community until the current hand grenades arrived (OK you could buy a boutique bike; Husky, CCM etc.). Now we have gone the other way; the 2T's are reliable and cheap to maintain and the 4$ are getting all the new kit!

My problem has always been in the rules. The rules determine what we (the public) buy and desire. The rules are unfair and although I've said that "motocross has used the 125/250/500 class designations for 70 years, why change now?", I'm starting to think it should be OPEN. Run what you brung and may the best man (woman/child) win. Simplify the rules to cover safety, emissions, and noise and let the cost be born by the racers and teams. They are going to spend $40k anyway, we might as well get some good technology trickled down to us poor mortals.

I own both. I personally prefer 2T because they are more efficient; power to weight and capacity.

08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 01:25:10 PM »
With my limited speed (mid-pack Vet C rider), I am faster around a track on a 4 stroke, but I will never own one.  If it blew up on me, it would probably take a year to save up the money to fix it.  I will stick with the 2-stroke, I like riding too much!!

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 04:40:44 PM »
2 stroke

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 05:39:43 PM »
The only 4s I've owned are an XR200 and XR250 (besides old ones XLs). They were fun to play around on, but I have had a whole slew of 2-strokes, and I'm still looking for a good 125, or 150. Heck maybe even a 250.

I prefer 2-srokes.

Offline juliend

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 10:59:32 PM »
I guess I have to say both. I despise modern MX 4 strokes, but I do like some enduro models and the older xr's and such. 2 strokes primarily though :)

Offline AFG

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 03:01:09 AM »
I am like many others, I prefer 2t's for MX fun. Right now I have a KX500,a Montesa 250 trials, and two KX125's which are my daughters race bikes. I also have an electric start TTR90 that we use as a pit bike/ utility vehicle. I do however like the smooth, almost electric style power delivery of some of the earlier 4t's( yz400-426). That is why I went back with a KX500. You can gear it up and make the delivery very smoothe. I was always able to go faster, longer on bikes that didn't really have a "hit" to them. I rode a 2010 YZ450f and hated the power delivery! Massive hit right off idle then nothing but vibration. Very hard to ride.

Offline M.Rad.

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 03:41:22 AM »
I like both types.  But I'm talking about the old style enduro/play bike 4st, not the new grenade bikes.  The old XRs, TTs, and DRs would last a lifetime with only the most minor maintaenance, engine wise.

I love my CR500, but i also like to ride my old DR370 (White Bros AL. swing arm/ Works Perf. shocks/ Terry fork kit/ Super Trapp).  It can't be directly compared to the CR500, since they have different missions.  It's a "mellow" bike that can putt along at walking speed, pull wheelies without having to do light speed, and yet still tops out over 70 mph.  The CR is a rocket, with great acceleration, speed and suspension, but you constantly have to be "on top" of it, or else you get hurt.

We don't all ride MX tracks exclusively, but anyone who says doing 70mph in the dirt on an old school machine isn't "exciting" is full of carp.

Regards,
M.R.

Offline Larry63r

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 05:35:05 AM »
I have both 2 and 4 stroke bikes. KTM 85, 105, 150, 250. All of them are the SX  models. I have two 4-strokes. One is an XR 50 that I bought for my son when he was three and the other is a 1990 DR 250s. I ride the Suzuki about 99% on the street. I got it to replace my GSXR 600 that I hated! Street bikes are like 10 speeds. They are BORING!!
Every time I rode that GSXR I would see some dirt and think, "God, if I only had a real bike I could tear that up!"
4-strokes make good dual purpose bikes but I would never race one!
I also think that the current rules that allow 4-strokes to have a displacement advantage are stupid. If they are better let them prove it in heads up competition. I would like to see the return of three classes of equal talent at the nationals. 125, 250 and open. Leave the farm league at the baseball diamond.

Offline dogger315

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 08:42:49 PM »
Like many others, I jumped on the four stroke band wagon to race the "next big thing".
In other words, I swallowed the kool aid that was being served up by the manufacturers
and the media.  After several years of high cost and low fun, I sold my four strokes and
switched back to two strokes.  Best move I ever made, riding/racing is fun again.

Because my manufacturer of choice doesn't produce two strokes anymore and I don't want
to be at a disadvantage with old technology, I build my own using state of the art rollers
and tried and proven engines from the past - a sweet combination.

dogger