Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: i have a 2009 kxf 250, what would be the best 2 stroke for me 2 have, 125 or 250  (Read 2749 times)

Offline graysonsam94

• Novice
    • View Profile
i have a 2009 kxf 250, what would be the best 2 stroke for me 2 have, 125 or 250. i am wanting to get a 2 smoker because i cant afford to blow up my 4 stroke, and i just think they sound better and everybody says there more fun, i ride motocross tracks all the time and do no enduro and i weigh just under 12 stone. what would you guys reccomend for me, i am liking the ktm 150 2011 but dont know how they are with reliability, thanks guys! :)

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile

How old are ya and whats your riding ability?
A 125/150 requires a bit of effort to be kept on the boil but if yoy like to rev the crap out of your bike and use the clutch you would love the small bike.
I f you have lots of experience though and a pretty good throttle control and are pretty fit and strong a 250 might be your cuppa tea, a 250 can be a handful and pretty dangerous in the wrong hands if ya know what i mean.
If ya have any way of trying either or both go for it.
Hope i helped a little and good luck with ya future purchase and once ya get a smoker youll never go back
 :D
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline motoman356

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
how big are you? and whats your skill level? what are you looking to do?

im about 175 and just got back into riding after a 3yr hiatus and i got an rm125. right now im struggling a bit to get back to speed but its nothing time on the bike wont fix. as far as racing goes im not aspiring for pro and i know beating 250f and even 450s (almost to the old guy classes) will be hard but for me riding a bike on the edge instead of chuggin in 3rd like a train is more fun and thats exactly what it all comes back to: FUN. two of four stroke pick a bike that is fun for you to ride and affordable cuz like your concern of blowing your bike up its NOT FUN to have a $5k paperweight.

my suggestion if your serious about racing get a 250 any used one within the past 5 yrs you can get good deals on. and older you go the cheaper but itll most likely be more beat. you wont need many mods just susp maybe pipe and silencer and maybe a heavier flywheel to help with torque. the 250 is powerful enough to race on any level (2 of em qual'd for high point) but they take more respect than a 250F cuz they have some snap

a 125 or 150 for that matter is all about being WFO. if you get a 125 and want more power you can bore it out to a 134(cheapest and easiest), 139(least common but prolly the best balance most power while keeping it lighter) or 144( this is the most common adds more midrange but kits nowadays just increase the piston instead of the old way of boring and stroking so bearings now wear faster and you lose a little on top in fact a local kid a few years ago switched from a yz 144 to a fully treated 125 because is lasted longer and was faster.

Offline graysonsam94

• Novice
    • View Profile
thanks for all of the replies, i am 17 yrs old, my skill level is getting better every ride as i have just had my suspension set up by RSS, i am 6ft 2, i will be wanting to race, but just for fun, im not going for any wins, just for experience really. i have had a few goes of my mates 2000 rm 250 , but it was on a hard pack track so it wasnt as much fun as say a sand track which i usually ride, and i have been on my mates 125 but i was scared to ring its neck because i am a 4 stroke rider and it wasnt my bike, and i blew it up anyway hahah, melted the piston, the video is in the photo and video section of the forum  ;D

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
Your 250f shouldnt blow up if you keep up on the maintinence, especially at your skill level. And I would get a 250 2t to race along with it.
2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
RM250 2003 and up.

Offline streaks383

• Junior
    • View Profile
Ride some, hit a KTM ride day and try the different bikes, borrow a couple others.  Where do you live, if it is Ohio, come ride mine.

Offline graysonsam94

• Novice
    • View Profile
i always look after my 250f, like every 4 hours engine oil and every other change oil filter, everyride air filter and so on. thanks for the offer to ride your bike, but i live in england, my dad is getting a 250 2 stroke anyway i think, but he likes the rm 250 and yz 250 05, why should we get an 03 or higher, whats the difference with them, just curious so my dad has the best bike possible, thank you :)

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
for your size get a 250. just got to remember that it will have the power to throw you. once you are used to it you will be fine. Not sure about 03 and up RM's but i have an 07 and i love it. my wife has an 04 rm 125 and other than the power and weight they are both awesome to ride but the power of the 250 is awesome

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
It comes down to your riding style, do you like to wring it out (125's), or perfer the power of the motor to get you through (250's)...  I favor the larger motor's, but love to take my friends 125 for a spin...  As far as a brand goes, all of them are good...  It will come down to what you find in the price range your willing to spend.  If it were me, I'd wait until the winter season, as prices will be lower.  Plus you'll have some time to go over the bike to make sure its set up the way you want it.

Good luck.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125