Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: KX500 engine rebuild  (Read 10049 times)

Offline Marco810

• Novice
    • View Profile
KX500 engine rebuild
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2012, 02:53:36 AM »
Got my cylinder back :D hard to tell if he did any work, but i do notice a few small changes

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
KX500 engine rebuild
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 03:04:25 AM »
Nice. I can't wait to see the finished product  ;D

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
KX500 engine rebuild
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 06:23:22 AM »
Lookin nice, cylinder looks nice n fresh  :D
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline Marco810

• Novice
    • View Profile
KX500 engine rebuild
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 02:42:43 PM »
Well i made some measurements and the ports havent been touched with tooling, just a little grinding to sharpen the bridges. I'm not impressed at all and at this point it kinda derailed my build, just going to have to run it like it is till i decide to actually get it ported. Needless to say i wont be dealing with eric again

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
KX500 engine rebuild
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 05:51:44 PM »
Well i made some measurements and the ports havent been touched with tooling, just a little grinding to sharpen the bridges. I'm not impressed at all and at this point it kinda derailed my build, just going to have to run it like it is till i decide to actually get it ported. Needless to say i wont be dealing with eric again
If the workmanship is not what you wanted, I'd be on the phone getting it straighted out.  :o
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Marco810

• Novice
    • View Profile
KX500 engine rebuild
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 09:14:34 PM »
I will be giving him a call later. At this point though I'm not shipping my cylinder out, took long enough to get this far

Offline dogger315

• Expert
    • View Profile
KX500 engine rebuild
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 09:46:32 PM »
Needless to say i wont be dealing with eric again
Just curious which port package you specified;  more low, more high, "mo betta"?
EG did the Mo betta on my 500 and there was a great deal of work done.  I
wonder if there was some mis-communication or something.  I would definitely
call and talk to him about this.
I have never split cases before, but when you do that, do you just line up the gear configuration with the bearings and all that stuff and put it together?
I have a slightly different approach.  Like Marco said, you want to put everything in the right
side case.  I place the case on my homemade engine stand (see picture) and put the main
and countershaft clusters in meshed together.  Then install the shift forks, shift drum and
shift fork shafts in that order.  Then I install the left side case.  This is a test fit to check
that the tranny spins freely and is done before the crankshaft goes in.

Once I make sure the gear clusters are assembled correctly (the reason for the test fit), I take
it all apart and do it again, only this time I start with the crankshaft which I install with an
installation tool that draws it into the crank bearing.

Just another technique to assemble a bottom end.

dogger

Offline Marco810

• Novice
    • View Profile
KX500 engine rebuild
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 02:52:34 AM »
Needless to say i wont be dealing with eric again
Just curious which port package you specified;  more low, more high, "mo betta"?
EG did the Mo betta on my 500 and there was a great deal of work done.  I
wonder if there was some mis-communication or something.  I would definitely
call and talk to him about this.
I have never split cases before, but when you do that, do you just line up the gear configuration with the bearings and all that stuff and put it together?
I have a slightly different approach.  Like Marco said, you want to put everything in the left
side case.  I place the case on my homemade engine stand (see picture) and put the main
and countershaft clusters in meshed together.  Then install the shift forks, shift drum and
shift fork shafts in that order.  Then I install the right side case.  This is a test fit to check
that the tranny spins freely and is done before the crankshaft goes in.

Once I make sure the gear clusters are assembled correctly (the reason for the test fit), I take
it all apart and do it again, only this time I start with the crankshaft which I install with an
installation tool that draws it into the crank bearing.

Just another technique to assemble a bottom end.

dogger

I checked the topend port box on the form, and got charged for that service, even is printed "porting work" on my recipe. being a topend job i should be seeing some significant duration changes, how ever this is a stock port config.

Im not trying to bad talk Eric Gorr or anything, but i feel like i got shafted. Im busy with work this week but when i get time ill see what he has to say

Offline dogger315

• Expert
    • View Profile
KX500 engine rebuild
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 03:28:13 AM »
Im not trying to bad talk Eric Gorr or anything, but i feel like i got shafted
Looking at the pictures, I totally agree.  Visually, the difference between the OE cylinder and
what I got back from EG was night and day.  It'll be interesting to here what is said when
you call.  I just hope you get it worked out and get the "fire breathing" cylinder you want.

dogger

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
KX500 engine rebuild
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 12:10:57 PM »
I have to ask; why do you want porting done on a 500?  :o That's going to be a bit of a monster  ;D

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
KX500 engine rebuild
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2012, 01:08:39 PM »
Got my cylinder back :D hard to tell if he did any work, but i do notice a few small changes

You have every right to be angry Marco. I would be demanding your money back.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
KX500 engine rebuild
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
I personally have not had work done by EG, but I'm of the opinion someone missed something at the factory.  From what I've read about EG, he stands behind his work, if they missed something, they should make it right.   In today's world of internet forums, the news of bad experiences gets around fast, and that's the last thing any company (especially in trying times) needs.  Give them a chance to make it right. 

Please keep us updated
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Recovered

KX500 engine rebuild
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2012, 02:39:32 PM »
I have to ask; why do you want porting done on a 500?  :o That's going to be a bit of a monster  ;D

Some people can uncork them, man.  And sometimes port work is just to clean up casting flaws (these things are sand cast, i believe) which can smooth out the delivery.

Well, let me take this opportunity to share my EG story as I just got off the phone with him.

He has had my jug for a month.  He does not have possession of it, and does not know when he will.  I am left at "you'll get it when you get it."

This is a FAR CRY from the guys who claim to have sent it to him on Saturday and got it back 6 days later on the following Friday.  Like I said in my thread, the best port work in the world is nothing if the jug isn't on the bike.

Offline dbf498

• Novice
    • View Profile
KX500 engine rebuild
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2012, 11:53:01 PM »
I talked with EG about two weeks ago and he said he had upwards of 300 jobs, at different stages, at the time. As we know it is the beginning of the summer and a lot of folks, I'm willing to bet more than half procrastinated over the winter, are getting their bikes ready at the beginning of the riding season versus after. I'm not saying that has happened in this case but unfortunately we've, my stuffs in a holding pattern too, become caught up in the mad rush of others.

To be honest, I've been really pleased with the work he's done on my stuff even if at times it takes a little longer to get it back. Nowadays the number of shops that specialize in 2T work seems to be getting smaller; since the big money is in repairing ticking time bombs. Patience has become my new mantra as the older I get I realize I have less of it left.

I'm in a similar situation as I sent a crank off to crank works for balance and it's been going two months. The crank, along with all the bits and pieces, was finally shipped to my son's house last Thursay; UPS will not deliver to an APO address. So now I'm at the mercy of the USPS and hoping like mad they don't pull an Ace Ventura on it, I've had boxes come in that no longer looked like boxes. I'm also waiting on a top end from EG but it's a spare and I'm not in as big a rush for it; although I'd still like to have it in my hot little hands all the same.

Offline Marco810

• Novice
    • View Profile
KX500 engine rebuild
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2012, 03:49:53 PM »
Got to love Wiseco... this is a topend Eric Gorr sent me + a invoice without my regard *still need to call him*

Old rings

New rings. Feeler gauge doesnt even go that high